• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
From what I have read on Twitter the 142's on Northern are knackered and life expired. Better bet are the 144's including the DDA one.
Anyone have any updates on the 769's or 230's? Someone on Facebook reckons the 769's are driving training - think he may have got that wrong.

Welcome to the Forum. Don't be misled by this rumour, which many have believed and spread, about Northern 142s and 144s as nothing is definite until TFW announce it. It actually started in Northern land. Last heard was that 769 training could start in September. 230s arrival is an unknown factor

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
From what I have read on Twitter the 142's on Northern are knackered and life expired. Better bet are the 144's including the DDA one.
Anyone have any updates on the 769's or 230's? Someone on Facebook reckons the 769's are driving training - think he may have got that wrong.
Northern are keeping the 144s well into 2020. If TfW are going to keep hold of any Pacers into 2020, I reckon it'll most likely be their 15 x 143s and maybe the GWR 8 x 143s.

Bob Price

Thanks, been around a while and have seen a lot come and go. Very keen to see these and the 230's. I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

Chris217

Doesn't seem to be any word
on the Great Western Pacer withdrawals
But I will be ecstatic if they lived out there last days and months on Valley Lines.
I still need 143 609 for haulage!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
But I will be ecstatic if they lived out there last days and months on Valley Lines.
I still need 143 609 for haulage!

GWR told somebody via Twitter only today that their 143s will be gone by the end of the year.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Don't get excited, it's just a completely unsubstantiated prediction/opinion of mine, based on the fact that as things stand (based on all information in the public domain at the moment), it looks impossible for TfW to meet the PRM deadline of 1/1/2020 without bus replacement for many services from January.
But of course there could be a lot that we don't know.

anamyd

On Moderation
Why second man ? I doubt a GA driver would deliver the 170s more likely ROG or Freight Company as selected by the ROSCO. During transfers they are the responsibility of the ROSCO to move them as they are in between TOCs.
You're probably right, thanks for that :) With the 153s delivery I was going by realtimetrains which stated it was a Great Western Railway service from Exeter TMD to Cardiff Canton Sidings, and I observed two people in the driving cab but I could've been wrong.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just a brief mention that this weeks availability of units has deteriorated. Round trips being cancelled between Cardiff and Cheltenham on a daily pre-planned basis and morning West Wales services being bustituted. In the evening peak the platforms at Cardiff Queen St overflowing and train after train turning up with only 2 vice 4 Cars, with people allegedly being unable to board consecutive trains and then finding them rammed when they can board. The reason "More Trains than usual ..........". I think this is too much over the top just to blame on PRM Mods.

anamyd

On Moderation
Just a brief mention that this weeks availability of units has deteriorated. Round trips being cancelled between Cardiff and Cheltenham on a daily pre-planned basis and morning West Wales services being bustituted. In the evening peak the platforms at Cardiff Queen St overflowing and train after train turning up with only 2 vice 4 Cars, with people allegedly being unable to board consecutive trains and then finding them rammed when they can board. The reason "More Trains than usual ..........". I think this is too much over the top just to blame on PRM Mods.
PRM mods aren't repairs, so why are they referring to them as repairs...?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Just a brief mention that this weeks availability of units has deteriorated.
The Conwy Valley's currently using two units, rather than one, but as I'd pointed out to someone "we've been lending our unit out since January, so surely the can lend us an extra unit for a week or so" .

6Gtraincrew

The Conwy Valley's currently using two units, rather than one, but as I'd pointed out to someone "we've been lending our unit out since January, so surely the can lend us an extra unit for a week or so" .

Not just from January. Back end of last year when all the wheel flat problems were happening the branch was shut for weeks just so unit could be used elsewhere. Also any time there is a big match in Cardiff branch unit gets pinched and buses put on.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Pre-planned cancellations tomorrow have changed to driver shortage with massive cancellations mostly Chester and North Wales areas listed on Journey Check. Going back to units, a Twitter reply to an MP said there were a lot of failures out on the road yesterday causing the shortage but nothing said about all the other days.

sw1ller

Established Member
Pre-planned cancellations tomorrow have changed to driver shortage with massive cancellations mostly Chester and North Wales areas listed on Journey Check. Going back to units, a Twitter reply to an MP said there were a lot of failures out on the road yesterday causing the shortage but nothing said about all the other days.
Just checked journey checker and one of my trains is cancelled, I’m not sick!!its not all the drivers’ fault :lol:

Cardiff123

Established Member
The latest from RAIL magazine is that TfW still expect all Pacers to be gone by the end of this year. Commercial and Customer Experience director Colin Lea says: "Is that difficult? Yes, there are challenges - there is an awful lot to do at the moment, but that's the plan." (pg. 27 of the August 14th issue)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The latest from RAIL magazine is that TfW still expect all Pacers to be gone by the end of this year. Commercial and Customer Experience director Colin Lea says: "Is that difficult? Yes, there are challenges - there is an awful lot to do at the moment, but that's the plan." (pg. 27 of the August 14th issue)

Perhaps somebody thinks the 769s will one day surface:lol::lol:

Cardiff123

Established Member
What's crazy is that on the same page, the 37s are described as being "widely welcomed, passengers love them, the Mk2's are providing loads of extra seats" etc, so we're asking to keep the 37+ Mk2s on into 2020, but it's not mentioned that Pacers are younger and more accessible than the Mk2's. Yet because Pacers are so politically toxic and "a symbol of under investment in Wales" they must go no matter what, even if 143s staying for a few months longer would ease the pressure on the 150/153 PRM program and prevent the inevitable short forming and cancellations I predict we'll see in January and possibly this autumn as so many 150s/153s are out of service in a rush to meet the deadline.

tomwills98

One is branded up and was poking out of a shed at Canton yesterday so can't be much longer. How many we'll have and when is the better question.

What's crazy is that on the same page, the 37s are described as being "widely welcomed, passengers love them, the Mk2's are providing loads of extra seats" etc, so we're asking to keep the 37+ Mk2s on into 2020, but it's not mentioned that Pacers are younger and more accessible than the Mk2's. Yet because Pacers are so politically toxic and "a symbol of under investment in Wales" they must go no matter what, even if 143s staying for a few months longer would ease the pressure on the 150/153 PRM program and prevent the inevitable short forming and cancellations I predict we'll see in January and possibly this autumn as so many 150s/153s are out of service in a rush to meet the deadline.

There's massive "we'll be gone soon" stickers across the side of the pacers and I think TfW Gov want to keep their ego's rather than seats, and take derogations.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

There are 3 x 150s, 2 x 153s in for PRM Mods and 2 x 175s in for internal refurbishment and re-liverying

6Gtraincrew

I know 153323 and 153325 are in, and also 175011 is in.

Any idea which other 175 and which 150's are in?

Cardiff123

Established Member
There's a rumour on WNXX forum that TfW applied for a 5 month extension for Pacers in Wales but has been refused. If this is true, it makes you wonder if it's 1) The DfT simply being spiteful towards Wales, when it's already granted Northern permission to carry on using Pacers
Or 2) If TfW had to go through Welsh Govt & Ken Skates first, if they refused it before it reached the DfT

YorksDMU

I understand that regarding Northern’s Pacers, the derogation only applies to the 144’s working out of Sheffield. Unless I’ve misinterpreted it the 142’s are to be gone by January the 1st.

Why are TfW taking out compliant units for refurb when there is such a challenge to get bogs into the 150s etc and be rid of Pacers by December 31st?

tomwills98

Franchise commitment I've read,

The 175's are old and tired on the inside and are well overdue a refurb, may also have a couple of mechanical tweeks to stop them from catching fire. There's also a date for everything to be de-arrivafied.

Greybeard33

Established Member
There are 3 x 150s, 2 x 153s in for PRM Mods and 2 x 175s in for internal refurbishment and re-liverying
Are the TfW 153s having accessible toilets installed? I thought all the other TOCs had decided this was uneconomic because of the cost and loss of passenger capacity. Or are they going to be permanently coupled to the 150s?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It is only 1 x 175 in at a time. TFW had said 2 but at the time there was a slight overlap of one going in and one coming out.. Apologies for the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.