• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Indeed, no time to modify mark 3s, with GWR, XC and ScotRail all still waiting for their mark 3s to be ready I believe. Which is why I asked above (post #1871) how many 67s are available and whether more mark 4s could be obtained by December. Crew training for more 67s and (as yet absent) mark 4s would be an added difficulty though. Do enough drivers currently sign the 67s to take on more of them?
There are about 8 or 9 Class 67s stored in various states of disrepair and there will be four more available once the ECML Thunderbirds finish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
Ah, thanks; for some reason I was thinking only two FirstGW livery 153s had entered service along with the TfW liveried 153333. I also didn't know that any of the Arriva-livery 153s had gone for mods.
no worries! they entered service from mid to late May gradually rather than all at once

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Double Pacer on the 1325 Barry Island to Merthyr service this afternoon. It didn't look right! 4 carriage services across the Valleys is a miracle these days with the exception of the 37s.

anamyd

On Moderation
If I may comment on a couple items and try to fill you in. The 175 refurbishment is a franchise commitment (hoping that I'm right but have seen posted). 769s hoping to start driver training in September with a view to entering passenger service in November on the Rhymney Valley. There would probably be 5 x 170s required for the Maesteg to Cheltenham and as some of the Ebbw Vale services wil be running to and from Bridgend from December this would take 3. The 2 Car 170s are not expected until much later and are earmarked for the Heart of Wales Line. If these plans don't work out please
I thought that TfW will have all 12 170/2s by next year and will start getting them in October this year...?

krus_aragon

Established Member
The 2 Car 170s are not expected until much later and are earmarked for the Heart of Wales Line.

I thought that TfW will have all 12 170/2s by next year and will start getting them in October this year...?

I think that might have been better phrased as "The 2 Car 170s are earmarked for the Heart of Wales Line, but are not expected there until much later. (They'll be used elsewhere by TfW in the meantime.)"

Cardiff123

Established Member
The latest from TfW is;
- 769's should be in service by Sept, but no update on where that is.
- 170's should be in service by Oct, with no hint of delays as yet.
- 230's should be in service by Oct, but no update on where that program is
- MK4 coaches should be in service by Dec.
As has been said, the 'first' 769 isn't expected in passenger service until November. Crew training is 'expected' to start next month. Bare in mind that whilst TfW may champion the 'first' 769 being in passenger service in November (and I won't believe it until I at least see photographic evidence of it in service) they actually need all nine 769s that they have ordered in service to have any chance of replacing Pacers.

RAIL magazine quotes TfW Rail director Colin Lea as saying that "he expects the 230s to join the fleet this year", with the first 230 available for testing "relatively soon". They'll run on the Conwy Valley line.

170s are due to be used on SWML stopping services such as Ebbw Vale and Maesteg before they move to the HoW line in a few years time.

All very definite plans in place for Pacer replacement then.

krus_aragon

Established Member
RAIL magazine quotes TfW Rail director Colin Lea as saying that "he expects the 230s to join the fleet this year", with the first 230 available for testing "relatively soon". They'll run on the Conwy Valley line.
Did Colin say they'd run on the Conwy Valley? That was the plan when they were expected in May (and before the Conwy Valley was flooded), but he told me in person a month ago that they'd probably go straight to the Borderlands now.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

The 170s are not expected to go to HOW Line until 2022:-

https://tfw.gov.wales/whats-happening-south-west-and-mid-wales

The 2 Car 170s will be last to move, I believe. There have been so many documents flying about it's difficult to find them.

I think that when TFW are confidently saying that the Pacers will be gone by the end of the year, they know something we don't know.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Did Colin say they'd run on the Conwy Valley? That was the plan when they were expected in May (and before the Conwy Valley was flooded), but he told me in person a month ago that they'd probably go straight to the Borderlands now.
They may well go straight onto both Borderlands and Conwy Valley; there are more 230s on-order than are needed for the current Borderlands service so I thought the idea was that they'd use the extra units on the Conwy Valley until the Borderlands frequency is doubled (after which they'd all move to the Borderlands line to support the enhanced service).

Here's screenshots from the current issue of RAIL, pgs. 26-27

View attachment 67391 View attachment 67392
I wonder why they bothered to mention the fast-recharge at stations? I thought that was for battery-only units and not the hybrids planned for TfW.

krus_aragon

Established Member
They may well go straight onto both Borderlands and Conwy Valley; there are more 230s on-order than are needed for the current Borderlands service so I thought the idea was that they'd use the extra units on the Conwy Valley until the Borderlands frequency is doubled (after which they'd all move to the Borderlands line to support the enhanced service).
Good point: the sevice isn't doubling on the Borderlands until 2021. IT was an off-the-cuff question (and answer) when I saw him, so I'll put more weight on the proper interview that RAIL have done.

Neen Sollars

First of the TfW 230`s could be on test on the North Cotswold Line this week. Thanks to jimm for the info from real time trains. First run tomorrow (Tuesday) so not long to wait to see the 230 in the new livery.

6Gtraincrew

First of the TfW 230`s could be on test on the North Cotswold Line this week. Thanks to jimm for the info from real time trains. First run tomorrow (Tuesday) so not long to wait to see the 230 in the new livery.

Are we sure it's not just 002 being tested prior to being used for driver training?

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
Gerald didn’t run this evening. The 175 from 1V96 replaced it and the 175 replaced with a PRM’d 150.

Will it take much of a conversion course for drivers to add 170s from classes 15X and 175?
And will it only be cardiff mainline to start?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Will it take much of a conversion course for drivers to add 170s from classes 15X and 175?
And will it only be cardiff mainline to start?

Fitter Training would be required also as it is a new toy. Only Cardiff Main Line require training at first if they keep to Maesteg, Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale routes.

Fitter Training would be required also as it is a new toy. Only Cardiff Main Line require training at first if they keep to Maesteg, Cheltenham and Ebbw Vale routes.
Thanks Philipe hope they can get things rolling pretty quickly with training and any route clearance also

anamyd

On Moderation
https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/1167093652713328644?s=09

EDJZbpPX4AAjveK

The first 2 @greateranglia 170s have been debranded ahead of their transfer to @tfwrail. I hear they leave on Saturday, but will confirm next week. This is the centre-car of 170207. The other set going is 170270. I hear 6 Cl.755/4s will be signed off for passenger use next wk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.