• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Loco-Hauled services: differences in reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
Does anyone know why the North Wales LH service is out of action again today? [It ran yesterday, but on Tuesday a 3-car dmu substituted, and today a 2-car set is advertised in its place].

Surely now the leaf-fall season is over, there should be no problems with wheel flats?

Also, I get the feeling the North Wales set is more unreliable than the "Gerald" [Holyhead-Cardiff] set.

Why should that be, as presumably they both use the same technology?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The loco (67014) sounded fine on it yesterday so I don't think that that would be a problem. Maybe a DVT problem or ATW not bothering to put it out?

craig87034

TWPS fault on the DVT, 1D51 0711 Crewe-Chester was the Paupers WAG set today and then went ECS to Crewe carriage sidings as 5H82 0807 Chester-Crewe carriage sidings

Welshman

Established Member
TWPS fault on the DVT, 1D51 0711 Crewe-Chester was the Paupers WAG set today and then went ECS to Crewe carriage sidings as 5H82 0807 Chester-Crewe carriage sidings

Ah - thank you for that information.

Welshman

Established Member
I have posted further details, i.e. re units on the original thread:-

www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=119417

Also, thank you, too, for that additional information.

However, I still have my original nagging doubts. Although I don't have figures to hand, I still feel the this LCHS has been more unreliable than the original "Gerald"

Is it just my imagination, and if not, does anyone know why this could be?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Also, thank you, too, for that additional information.

However, I still have my original nagging doubts. Although I don't have figures to hand, I still feel the this LCHS has been more unreliable than the original "Gerald"

Is it just my imagination, and if not, does anyone know why this could be?

I can't find any mention to quote on the main thread so will reply here as you have raised the point here. The main problem, hopefully should be resolved now, with the leaf fall season over, has been wheel flats on the DVT. In fact, the Manchester was actually amended to be DMU worked for a period of approx 3 weeks from November into December. It has been suggested that this one, rather than the Cardiff Set, has had more problems is the fact there are so many station stops on the trains and the more frequent braking, has contributed to the incidence of "Square Wheels".

Welshman

Established Member
I can't find any mention to quote on the main thread so will reply here as you have raised the point here. The main problem, hopefully should be resolved now, with the leaf fall season over, has been wheel flats on the DVT. In fact, the Manchester was actually amended to be DMU worked for a period of approx 3 weeks from November into December. It has been suggested that this one, rather than the Cardiff Set, has had more problems is the fact there are so many station stops on the trains and the more frequent braking, has contributed to the incidence of "Square Wheels".

That's an interesting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.