• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Loco Hauled set

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
This isn't answering my question I want to know why aren't ATW publishing this in the Rail magazines they never said anything about the loco hauled set being used on Saturdays just week days :0

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
This isn't answering my question I want to know why aren't ATW publishing this in the Rail magazines they never said anything about the loco hauled set being used on Saturdays just week days :0

TOCs don't publish items in Rail Magazines

fgwrich

Established Member
Strange nobody has asked about the additional LHCS on the North Wales coast today. It is running, loco is 67002 which is now on the Cardiff WAG Set. Timings same as last week, not in RTT but in Open TrainTimes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Somebody tweeted ATW today to ask if the Class 37 was operating today on the Manchester/North Wales. :sad::sad:

After several weeks of 67015 on the Manchester to North Wales LHCS, 67003 took over today. There has been a suggestion this loco has been on a rogue list so, whatever it was, the problem must have been fixed.

It's been on the rogue list for a while as it's been non ETS for some time due to a fault. Hence why it's rarely worked any of the ATW services since its repaint into ATW Blue.

CosherB

Established Member

Just how extensively do you expect TOCs to publish information in the media? :roll:

On Moderation

Have you considered that ATW are running a service for paying passengers and not a bespoke charter service for trainspotters?
It's been on the rogue list for a while as it's been non ETS for some time due to a fault. Hence why it's rarely worked any of the ATW services since its repaint into ATW Blue.

Interestingly 67015 was also on the naughty step/barred list for quite some time when Chiltern used 67s. Obviously it too is fixed!

MatthewRead

On Moderation
No what I'm saying is they publish workings for other TOCs so why not publish ATW's weekend workings people that read the rail magazines are trainspotters so why aren't they telling us stuff?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No what I'm saying is they publish workings for other TOCs so why not publish ATW's weekend workings people that read the rail magazines are trainspotters so why aren't they telling us stuff?

This is not the official way to publish information. Such detail is only picked up through people in the know and not from the TOCs.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
This is not the official way to publish information. Such detail is only picked up through people in the know and not from the TOCs.
So the magazines don't know they knew all the other loco hauled diagrams why can't they get this one right?:(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So the magazines don't know they knew all the other loco hauled diagrams why can't they get this one right?:(
Your posts are not making much sense, sorry.

You said:
ATW are not a publisher of any rail magazine.

On Moderation
Because they are running additional trains to meet expected demand, run on a STP basis.

What do you want them to do, not run them because you haven't seen them in a magazine?
:roll::roll::roll:

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Because they are running additional trains to meet expected demand, run on a STP basis.

What do you want them to do, not run them because you haven't seen them in a magazine?
:roll::roll::roll:

They mentioned other loco hauled diagrams in the July issue of Today's Railways UK but not anything about ATW extras!

On Moderation
They mentioned other loco hauled diagrams in the July issue of Today's Railways UK but not anything about ATW extras!

Jeepers. I'll spell it out for you. Not sure why, but anyway...

It wasn't published in any magazine because at the time ATW weren't going to run any LHCS on a weekend. At some point after the magazine was published they decided to run additional services to meet demand expected on a weekend. They decided to use the LHCS set.

Unless TRUK have a crystal ball, how do you expect them to publish that something is happening when it isn't planned at that point?

Mordac

Established Member
Am I right in assuming the commuter set does not have any first class coaches, and normally runs with 4 TSOs plus the DVT?

What's the normal consist for the Premium set? Does it carry the two first class coaches?

craigybagel

Established Member
Am I right in assuming the commuter set does not have any first class coaches, and normally runs with 4 TSOs plus the DVT?

What's the normal consist for the Premium set? Does it carry the two first class coaches?

You're right for north wales set. Premium is 1 1ST 3 STD

craigybagel

Established Member
Isn't it more 1/3 1st class as that uses the passenger end of the RFM, or have ATW added an extra FO?

Is it indeed, I just didn't have the time to go in to that level of detail. 1 RFM, 3 TSO (or whatever the correct term is for loco stock, I don't sign it yet) and 1 DVT.

Mordac

Established Member
Thank you. They seem to keep a lot of spares, then. Do they strengthen the formation often?

I see in the Platform 5 2017 books that one of their RFMs has more capacity than the other. That's a bit weird, do you know how they differ?

Thanks again for explaining!

craigybagel

Established Member
Unless I'm traveling on it - whenever I catch the 1650 it's usually a coach short :(

It was a single 150 yesterday! Failed during the day.

Thank you. They seem to keep a lot of spares, then. Do they strengthen the formation often?

I see in the Platform 5 2017 books that one of their RFMs has more capacity than the other. That's a bit weird, do you know how they differ?

Thanks again for explaining!

I know they used to have a spare that wasn't in ATW colours that AFAIK has never been used so that might be it but like I said I don't sign it yet so don't have much experience. When they used it for specials to Wembley a few years ago it ran as a 6 car but I've never known either set be strengthened on their normal jobs. The two sets are already at the maximum length for several places they're booked to stop at (and beyond it for Helsby).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
150245 and 150237 on the Manchester today. Dragging brakes on DVT caused the swap yesterday after being delayed at Newton-le-Willows for 54 minutes

67003 and coaches back in service today

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
There's essentially a spare Holyhead - Cardiff 'Gerald' set: Operating a one-off premier service such as this can be inefficient in terms of rolling stock utilisation, as was also found with the 'Blue Pullman' luxury diesel sets of the 1960s.

As craigybagel says, strengthening is unusual and only occurs very occasionally for things like major sporting events rather than on normal scheduled services.

CosherB

Established Member
DBR have a few spare Mk3s, albeit in decrepit condition in storage, that could be used to lengthen these sets for regular use ..... ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Why would Arriva/DB Regio want to support GoVia?
It's a contract that'd earn DB (Cargo, presumably, running the train and leasing costs being paid to Arriva UK Trains) money.

Though the original comment may well have been light hearted and resurrecting decrepit mark 3s (unless any of them are in half decent nick?) seems unlikely given the short timeframe involved.

On Moderation
Though the original comment may well have been light hearted and resurrecting decrepit mark 3s (unless any of them are in half decent nick?) seems unlikely given the short timeframe involved.

The stored Mark 3s are all knackered, having been out of use for 10 years or more. It's not going to be viable to rebuild them for a short-term requirement.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The stored Mark 3s are all knackered, having been out of use for 10 years or more. It's not going to be viable to rebuild them for a short-term requirement.
I think that the former Cargo-D and DRS vehicles in store have been in service more recently than that, but that's mainly restaurant vehicles and, yes, upon examination it does seem that most of the fully seated carriages that could be easily returned to service already have been. We're both in agreement that there's no hope of them being returned to service for a short term contract.

spookywestie

The 125 group's Mk3s were from the stored ones, and they were in good condition internally and mechanically when they were bought.

On Moderation
The 125 group's Mk3s were from the stored ones, and they were in good condition internally and mechanically when they were bought.

Yes. But which ones do you think they chose: those in the best condition or the completely knackered ones?

childwallblues

Established Member
The Manchester to North Wales service now has 67010 with the LHCS.
67010 is reported to be the last of the class to visit North Wales, the other 29 having been reported at some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.