• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Premier Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Has anyone done this recently who can advise on what has been on the evening meal service menu? ATW website not exactly helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi, I used it on Monday. The menu changes on a daily basis, so I guess there are 5 different ones. Starters were a meat tapas, mains- tuna steak, lamb, or veg casserole desserts- sticky toffee pud, cheese and biscuits or strawberries and clotted cream in a chocolate cupcake. My meal was extremely good, as per normal. My favourite FC offer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I forgot to mention that the restaurant is being kept after September, all be it on a later 18:xx ex Cardiff, via Wrexham.

Essexman

Established Member
Hi, I used it on Monday. The menu changes on a daily basis, so I guess there are 5 different ones. Starters were a meat tapas, mains- tuna steak, lamb, or veg casserole desserts- sticky toffee pud, cheese and biscuits or strawberries and clotted cream in a chocolate cupcake. My meal was extremely good, as per normal. My favourite FC offer.
I forgot to mention that the restaurant is being kept after September, all be it on a later 18:xx ex Cardiff, via Wrexham.

I used it on Tuesday and menu was as above.
Good meal but not up to FGW standard.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Has anyone done this recently who can advise on what has been on the evening meal service menu? ATW website not exactly helpful.

Another point ATW are keeping quiet about, will the free food be free to first class or will it be charged for, thus encouraging more to travel first at a lower cost than the few who are attracted at present, I heard some change may occur from Seprember/December.

Bob
I forgot to mention that the restaurant is being kept after September, all be it on a later 18:xx ex Cardiff, via Wrexham.[/QUOTE] Voyagerdude.

Whats wrong with the Wag Ex travelling via Wrexham? instead of Crewe, The Minister said the later time would encourage more to use the train.
Time will tell, but a lot of statutory people are unhappy about the later time according to reports.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Whats wrong with the Wag Ex travelling via Wrexham? instead of Crewe, The Minister said the later time would encourage more to use the train.
Time will tell, but a lot of statutory people are unhappy about the later time according to reports.
I didn't infer it being better/worse going via Wrexham. I'm just very happy at the premier service being kept.

rail-britain

Established Member
Note that tomorrows Holyhead - Cardiff will not have Premier Service, and it is expected to be the same on Monday 13 August

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Note that tomorrows Holyhead - Cardiff will not have Premier Service, and it is expected to be the same on Monday 13 August

why not? I'd be very annoyed if I booked FC for it, and didn't get a meal. (even if it is subject to availability)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
After trying to get the number of threads on the same thing reduced many of us have agreed that everything re the WAG should go on the ATW Track Access Application thread. One thread can soon drift of the OPs post and we can have several posts cutting across each other on the same topic.

wellhouse

I used the Premier Service northbound from Cardiff toi Crewe a couple of months ago (excellent meal & service) but I noticed the chef left the train at Shrewsbury. Do ATW specify anywhere the times and/or stations where Premier Service is offered northbound and southbound?

Last edited:

mr williams

Hi, I used it on Monday. The menu changes on a daily basis, so I guess there are 5 different ones

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are six which rotate, specifically so that people who travel on a weekly basis don't get the same menu every time!

merlodlliw

Established Member
I used the Premier Service northbound from Cardiff toi Crewe a couple of months ago (excellent meal & service) but I noticed the chef left the train at Shrewsbury. Do ATW specify anywhere the times and/or stations where Premier Service is offered northbound and southbound?

It is very unlikely anyone boards after Salop in first, from what I have seen when I used the service, it usually becomes a local from Crewe.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are six which rotate, specifically so that people who travel on a weekly basis don't get the same menu every time!

Would they be ATW employees,?

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I usually travel from Cardiff to Chester on it, and we usually have a few people joining at Crewe. I rarely see people waiting to join in FC at Chester when I get off.

SovietGaz

I've being toying with the idea of catching this service as I have never been on a hauled service.

Does it run on the weekends? Or will I have to book a weekday off to take it?

Is it worth it if you book standard class, or does first class make the difference?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It only runs on weekdays. As for being worth it just for standard class I'd say no it's not unless you live reasonably close to one of the stations that the service calls at (there isn't anything that special about loco hauled other than novelty factory really). First class isn't totally unreasonable (bearing in mind you get a three course meal) as you can get advances and looking at the middle of next week they can be had for £61 (£40.25 with railcard) for a Cardiff to Crewe run.

merlodlliw

Established Member
It only runs on weekdays. As for being worth it just for standard class I'd say no it's not unless you live reasonably close to one of the stations that the service calls at (there isn't anything that special about loco hauled other than novelty factory really). First class isn't totally unreasonable (bearing in mind you get a three course meal) as you can get advances and looking at the middle of next week they can be had for £61 (£40.25 with railcard) for a Cardiff to Crewe run.

Plus you can travel standard class for £18 return if you are over 55 from any ATW serviced station to connect with Gerald to Cardiff & Return from September(unless thats another blooper)

I always preferred loco hailed trains,the diesel motors slung underneath DMUs make a hell of a racket on some classes.Chilterns 67/DVT Mainline trains set the example ATW will follow with Geralds new stock from September.

Bob

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I've being toying with the idea of catching this service as I have never been on a hauled service.

Does it run on the weekends? Or will I have to book a weekday off to take it?

Is it worth it if you book standard class, or does first class make the difference?

Go for it and make up your own mind. I agree with Merlodlliw, loco-hauled has always been my preference (possibly because I am of a certain age) and the number of times I have sat in a coach with constant vibration which certainly puts me off some units....also you might get a different perspective of the seating arrangements in the coaching stock - no airline style, thankfully, and it's not cramped for space.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If you go before the stock upgrade in September you might not be too impressed unless you go 1st.
The Mk2s are rather down at heel and don't ride as well as a DMU.
But a non-stop run the length of the Marches line on a nice day is something to enjoy.
Food in 1st is fine but perversely the view is a bit constrained by the kitchen car.
I usually go for the half-brake coach at the end (often emptier).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
We seem to be drifting off the OP which is about catering on the WAG. The other points re the operation of the service including calling points are covered on the ATW Track Access Application thread. To avoid duplication and cross posting, would it be possible to confine this thread to the topic the OP posted posted, i.e. catering. We need, I feel, to keep posts re operation of the service together in view of the botched timetable.

merlodlliw

Established Member
We seem to be drifting off the OP which is about catering on the WAG. The other points re the operation of the service including calling points are covered on the ATW Track Access Application thread. To avoid duplication and cross posting, would it be possible to confine this thread to the topic the OP posted posted, i.e. catering. We need, I feel, to keep posts re operation of the service together in view of the botched timetable.

The very nature of Forums often allows drifts,all the comment threads refer to the Wag Ex, and as LNW GW joint says, everything changes after 14th Sept.
It may be annoying to you Philipe with good reason, just ignore what you don't like,although for the second time you have been polite about your request,
I fail many times to answer the question as asked, just putting up what I thought it asked.

No offence meant at all

Bob

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The very nature of Forums often allows drifts,all the comment threads refer to the Wag Ex, and as LNW GW joint says, everything changes after 14th Sept.
It may be annoying to you Philipe with good reason, just ignore what you don't like,although for the second time you have been polite about your request,
I fail many times to answer the question as asked, just putting up what I thought it asked.

No offence meant at all

Bob
No problem
Diolch yn fawr yn iawn, Bob
Hwyl fawr
Phil

harri2626

I hope the later time will increase the usage. Apart from the early return from business meetings, etc. having to eat dinner at 5pm is not an incentive for use. As this is one of the very few real restaurant car services left in the UK, it's purely a matter of "use it or lose it".

As this is one of the very few real restaurant car services left in the UK, it's purely a matter of "use it or lose it".

Or get the Welsh Governmnet to keep chucking money at it to maintain a fancy dinning car for the few not the many.

How many seats are there in 1st Class? 18 I think?

sparks2000

Having now had chance to enjoy the CDF>SHR part of this service I can say the food is a great offering. It's not Michelin star nor is it silver service but it is very very good and its on a train for not much more than a standard ticket would cost. I will definitely do this again. On my journey I chose a main (steak) and the cheese platter - very good. Next time I will take the full offer :)

It is possible to take the full service between Cardiff and Shrewsbury without feeling rushed. I am looking forward to being able to use this service regularly when the later running time is introduced - I hope it doesn't become too crowded but I'd like to see more takers to make sure this service and others like it become more common on the railway. Today I have had the spicy pork wrap on the vt pendo - it's ok but it's not food :)

merlodlliw

Established Member
I hope the later time will increase the usage. Apart from the early return from business meetings, etc. having to eat dinner at 5pm is not an incentive for use. As this is one of the very few real restaurant car services left in the UK, it's purely a matter of "use it or lose it".

Welcome to RF Harri, The later departure is intended to increase the use of the train, The Minister said it might encourage more shoppers to use the service,but I don't see these travelling from the North to Cardiff in droves when we have Cities on the doorstep, I suppose its the last chance saloon for 1st with so few using it on its current afternoon return, we shall see if the later return bumps up traffic.
Bob

jones_bangor

Welcome to RF Harri, The later departure is intended to increase the use of the train, The Minister said it might encourage more shoppers to use the service,but I don't see these travelling from the North to Cardiff in droves when we have Cities on the doorstep, I suppose its the last chance saloon for 1st with so few using it on its current afternoon return, we shall see if the later return bumps up traffic.
Bob

Labour won't cut this service, it's here until end of current franchise when more improvements in North to South can be incorporated. Interested to hear Vale of Clwyd businesses asking for better North to South services earlier in the week, the demand is growing. Not that I'm against West to East and I'm glad direct Bangor to Mancs is back!!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Labour won't cut this service, it's here until end of current franchise when more improvements in North to South can be incorporated. Interested to hear Vale of Clwyd businesses asking for better North to South services earlier in the week, the demand is growing. Not that I'm against West to East and I'm glad direct Bangor to Mancs is back!!

Thats an interesting one for Vale Of Clwyd businesses to make, first Ive heard of that, who are they. I agree the Wag Express will continue for the foreseeable future, with so much spent on DVT/67/mark3 stock by WG, £3.5 millions is no small amount. However Sunday is a busy day for most areas,but only 2 each way North/South.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.