• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW - seat reservations for Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I know ATW don't issue seat reservations automatically, but I thought I could request same.

I picked up some tickets for August on Monday (been meaning to post this ever since and kept forgetting), and went to the counter (Hereford station) and asked if I could have seat reservations for the journeys. I don't normally bother but given the time of year and the fact that we're off on holiday I thought it would be wise.

The clerk was adamant that they don't do seat reservations. She pointed out that the time-of-train voucher has asterisks where the coach and seat numbers should be, and said that was all I would get. She insisted that it wasn't possible to give me reservations as they don't do them!

On boarding my (ATW) train that same day imagine my surprise (not!) to see seat reservations on the backs of many seats. I'm not saying these would have been Advance purchase tickets, although from conversational experience I'd imagine at least some of them were.

Please could someone give me clarification on this. I'd always thought that any reservable service would issue reservations on request.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
ATW certainly had some services that were 'booked place', I'm not sure if there are still some around, but they do have 'booked seat' services on their network.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
In my experience, if you buy the advance ticket on line, Hereford won't issue seat reservations for you. If you buy it from the station, they will.

ATW don't give online seat reservations for advances on the Marches line. I suspect this is because the trains are so small and typically so busy.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
SWMBO went to Cardiff from Wrexham last Tuesday for a WG meeting,return on
Wednesday A.M. booked via ATW on the web as advance a week previous,on picking up the tickets at Wrexham booking office(ticket machine outside,) but decided to deal with real people the Monday prior, 4 tickets given out,but no seat reservations , very helpful female clerk said no seat reservations now given with advance tickets.

If this helps. PPS this also applies to standard on both Gerald the Wag Express & the 175 ,both about to be culled.

Bob

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks all. Looks like they were right and I'm wrong then. It's the Manchester Piccadilly train we're on, changing at Crewe. Busy service at the best of times. Oh well, we'll have to take our chance.

headshot119

Established Member
As far as I've seen myself no ATW advance ticket comes with a seat reservation, but the Coach * Seat **.

Even legs of VWC tickets with ATW as a connecting leg have given the same.

I've found both my local booking offices willing to retrospectively issue me reservations so it's not been a problem for me.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If you phone First ScotRail on 01752 675670 (telesales) and ask for seat reservations for tickets you already hold (don't say that they are Advance tickets) - tell them what train and how many people etc. They are usually pretty good, though you will only get your seat numbers and a reference number. They will take your surname and this should be printed on the reservation label for back up :smile:

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.