• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Train Carriage Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmickey

Hi everyone, I noticed today the ATW have advertised for a train carriage cleaner at their depot in Canton, Cardiff. I would really like to become a train conductor, I'm currently a PCSO and feel that I'd be really suitable to being a conductor and I feel that it's a role that I'd really enjoy. Anyhow does anyone know if it's worth applying to be a carriage cleaner to get a foot in the door, with a view to becoming a conductor at a later date. Thanks in advance, any advice or information will be greatly received☺

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Hi everyone, I noticed today the ATW have advertised for a train carriage cleaner at their depot in Canton, Cardiff. I would really like to become a train conductor, I'm currently a PCSO and feel that I'd be really suitable to being a conductor and I feel that it's a role that I'd really enjoy. Anyhow does anyone know if it's worth applying to be a carriage cleaner to get a foot in the door, with a view to becoming a conductor at a later date. Thanks in advance, any advice or information will be greatly received☺

Cleaners work for a sub contacted company normally, I would wait for a guards job to come live, there will be a few coming up shortly no doubt.

Pacerpilot

ATW employs it's own cleaners for everything that isn't a Class 175. It's a very well paid job given the actual role. You'd then have access to internal job vacancies and when a conductor job does come up, you'd stay on your cleaners wages during training rather than the trainee conductor salary (but minus the shift allowance)

tiptoptaff

Established Member
No more Guards jobs are likely this year at CDF, as the recruitment they've just done/are doing is for all courses this year. Worth going for if you want in, it is, however, permanent nights

Last edited:

welshrailfan

It's very well paid for a cleaning job. Can anyone say why it's so well paid? I know it's working nights and I'm sure your kept very busy but still...it's not a dangerous job or a job that requires particular expertise or anything

broadgage

Night working tends to pay better than day working for otherwise similar work.
Also I suspect that the work is heavier and more taxing than say cleaning in an office block or department store.

Even for a cleaning role, the railway industry is more safety conscious than many other industries, and I consider it likely that not every applicant meets the required standards of literacy and numeracy that are needed to work safely. That may require the payment of higher wages in order to attract enough applicants.

Whilst the role is not highly technical, I would presume that a carriage cleaner is meant to report defects found during the work, something like "6 internal lights are out in the third vehicle of set number *******"
That apparently trivial report would be beyond some of those who clean offices.

Clip

Established Member
REALLY?????

Can someone link up the job as I cant seem to access their webpage - must be more to it than just cleaning as most of those jobs are only around 20K even in London IIRC.

metalmickey

Hi Guys, thanks for all the reply, don't really want to be a cleaner but looks like a really good chance to get a foot in the door! Does anyone know what the shift patterns and start and finish times are, just helps to get a full picture to help me decide if I should apply for the position.

TDK

Established Member
ATW employs it's own cleaners for everything that isn't a Class 175. It's a very well paid job given the actual role. You'd then have access to internal job vacancies and when a conductor job does come up, you'd stay on your cleaners wages during training rather than the trainee conductor salary (but minus the shift allowance)

They may do at Canton but don't elsewhere, the company is AXIS I think!

craigybagel

Established Member
https://www.comeaboard.co.uk/recruiter/users/jobsearch.php?&id=1308

Reference: A16/53
Title: Train Carriage Cleaner
Closing date: Friday, 26 February 2016
Salary: £25,295 + 18% shift allowance

We have an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated cleaner at our Canton Depot in Cardiff.

Keeping our trains clean and presentable is essential for our customers so we’re looking for a person who takes a pride in their work.

You will clean both the interior and exterior of our trains, which means the role is a physically demanding one and one which can involve working outside in all weathers.

You’ll be a great team player, with strong communication skills. The role covers a variety of shift patterns including nights and weekends so a flexible attitude is important.

Interested?

Click here for job description.

Like TDK says most of the ATW cleaners are with an external contractor and are barely above minimum wage. The guys at Canton though are internal staff - much better pay, but need PTS and work permanent nights.

According to that BBC railway documentary a few years back, there were a thousand applications for the job back then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No more Guards jobs are likely this year at CDF, as the recruitment they've just done/are doing is for all courses this year. Worth going for if you want in, it is, however, permanent nights

Indeed, the talent pool is nice and full at the moment at pretty much every depot.

DONT MIND ME

I'm actually London midland carriage cleaner and got an interview to be made permanent from agency, I'm really nervous does anyone know what kind of questions they ask in the interview / assessment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.