• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choice

Hi everyone,
I'm one of the people starting in January :DHad my medical, sent off the info for my security check and waiting for the info to be delivered in the post this week. Wanted to make sure it was definitely happening before posting on the forum. So excited!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Choice

Well done and congratulations! Good early Christmas present eh?!
Thanks very much! Absolutely! Not sure it's a actually sunk in yet! I've got christmas and new year off too so massive bonus before I start the new job too!

craigybagel

Established Member
The January course for the North started today. The next course is believed to be starting in March but I don't believe the names of who will be on that course have been selected yet.

Drh78

The January course for the North started today. The next course is believed to be starting in March but I don't believe the names of who will be on that course have been selected yet.

Do you know whether that will include trainees for Shrewsbury? How many trainees do they have on each course?

sw1ller

Established Member
Do you know whether that will include trainees for Shrewsbury? How many trainees do they have on each course?

I’ve heard they’re putting at least one Shrewsbury trainee on per course for the next few.

richfoz84

Emailed them today, they replied stating that they expect to have some dates in place for the assessments in the next few weeks and will then contact people..

Fredytrains

Emailed them today, they replied stating that they expect to have some dates in place for the assessments in the next few weeks and will then contact people..
Lets hope we get to hear something in the next few weeks then, Really want to get the assessments out of the way now,, either way, just need to start practicing again now then ,lol

Choice

Hey everyone, I'm on the course that started on Monday in Cardiff. I asked the trainer about further courses and he said there's nothing set in stone. March is a rumour but nothing more than that at the moment. Good luck everyone doing assessments this year.

craigybagel

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm on the course that started on Monday in Cardiff. I asked the trainer about further courses and he said there's nothing set in stone. March is a rumour but nothing more than that at the moment. Good luck everyone doing assessments this year.

The courses in the South do seem to be a bit up the air, I've not heard any where near as much from down there . In the North, several trainers and driver managers have stated there are courses planned back to back throughout 2018. I did see the dates written down at one point but I can't remember the exact details.

sw1ller

Established Member
I was chatting to a colleague who is hoping to be on one soon and they seem to think there’s two courses starting in March (one early March, one late). Hoping they will hear something mid February.

Peter B

Aka Spiderman1. I passed assessments in Nov 2018 in Cardif & have Shrewsbury as chosen depot after changing from Cardiff so hoping to hear something soon. Fingers crossed

sw1ller

Established Member
How many applicants do they usually have in a talent pool?

This number will be irrelevant now. The amount they’re taking on at the minute is unheard of. There’s courses left right and centre. I’d go as far to say there’s too many courses right now. It’s insane.

Drh78

Noticed on the vacancies page a couple of vacancies for driver instructors on a 12 month secondment, fingers crossed folks us in the talent pool are contacted soon.

craigybagel

Established Member
Noticed on the vacancies page a couple of vacancies for driver instructors on a 12 month secondment, fingers crossed folks us in the talent pool are contacted soon.

There are already more trainees currently on courses for Shrewsbury and Crewe then there are DI's at those depots, and one of the Crewe DI's has also just retired so regardless of what happens in the future they already need more DI's.

Fredytrains

Have you heard anything richfoz? Ive heard absolutely Nothing since i mailed them early December.

richfoz84

Have you heard anything richfoz? Ive heard absolutely Nothing since i mailed them early December.
Hi!
I emailed them early Jan. they replied a few days later & said no dates confirmed yet, but hoped to have them in place by end of Jan, expecting assessments in Feb For a late March/early April start. Tried again two weeks ago to call, got no response. Then i emailed but the recruitment contact was away that week (got out of office reply).. 10 days later still nothing unfortunately.
I’m holding off booking a holiday because at the interview phase, I was told if you have one booked, you’ll likely not get a place on the training (if your successful) until you’ve had you holiday.. which could be 12 months and if I’m successful I don’t want to wait that long!

Drh78

Anyone else on here in the Shrewsbury talent pool? If so, how long you been in? I passed all (except medical obviously) last year.

Peter B

Anyone else on here in the Shrewsbury talent pool? If so, how long you been in? I passed all (except medical obviously) last year.
Hi, I passed in Nov 2018 & still waiting to hear about a course for Shrewsbury.

Stevor

Hi all. I am relatively new here and have been reading as much as possible. I have recently applied for the drivers position at Cardiff.

Can anyone please tell me a bit about the Bourdon tests for Wales. Are they done online or at an assessment centre? If it is the latter is it done on a paper copy or on a VDU?

Thanks.

sw1ller

Established Member
Paper and it’s done on the single assessment day in Cardiff. Some companies have the assessment day over 2/3 days. TfW is all done in one and it’s draining! Good luck.

Stevor

Well I hope I get that far for sure. On this forum, is there anywhere that breaks down what happens on the TFW assessment day?

I have been practicing the GBT but if there is anything else I can prep for it would be a great help! :)

richfoz84

I spoke with TFW recruitment yesterday. As i am awaiting an assessment date.

They say, that they have no dates scheduled for assessments yet, & hope to have some in the next few weeks.

They are looking at selecting applicants based on area applied for.
For example I’ve applied for Crewe, therefore that area may be next, depending on whether they have enough trainers available for the classroom and on the job training. However she couldn’t indicate at this stage which areas would be chosen first.

Also, it’s possible that I could be sat awaiting a date for 6-12 months due to not having enough trainers & there being less demand for drivers in Crewe; compared to Cardiff (for example)

It seems likely that when you’re invited to assessment, you won’t get much notice and if you can’t make that date, it could be unlikely you can’t swap the date & the wait until the next dates come for the area applied for are unknown.

Yes it’s a pain. I’ve purposely not booked a summer holiday cos I don’t want to be waiting for another year or so.. but it is what it is I guess.

Hope this helps if your on the position I’m in too

Cheers

GLENMAYE77

I can’t reapply as I didn’t pass the interview in October.....however I have since passed all the assessments and interview for another Company.
If thats the case that they are not looking to take on for 6-12 months then in theory my 6 month failure time would be over and my assessments are still valid as only passed in Nov.
Granted I may again be unsuccessful in the interview but that’s the criteria TfW have set for their recruitment drive.

Drh78

Where do they do the training? I put Shrewsbury, just wondering where I would go?

craigybagel

Established Member
Where do they do the training? I put Shrewsbury, just wondering where I would go?

There are courses currently running in both Chester and Shrewsbury. Space is at a premium at the moment in the training centre in Chester with the amount of courses for both drivers and guards taking place - hence the last drivers course being in Shrewsbury and guards in Holyhead. The trainee drivers on those courses have also spent a week in Cardiff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.