• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Auchinleck to Canning Town for Tuesday 4th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

trobertc

Hello, I got refererred by a freind to come here. I am travelling down to Excel Centre for paralympics on Tursday 4th September from Auchinleck (scotland (AUK) and get told for London euston £121.90 as it cant find Canning Town which is train station next to it. I plan to stay in London overnight and return next day back home.

I hope you can help.

Thanks
Thomas

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Yes you need a ticket Auchinleck to Euston. Canning Town is another 40 minutes or so away by underground, but you don't need to worry about that now.

The route is Auchinleck - Carlisle, Carlisle - Euston.

The £121.90 fare is the flexible off-peak return. You can book non-flexible Advance tickets instead.

It might be easier to buy a return to Carlisle on the day, for £19.70, and then just book Carlisle - Euston, as this will give a better choice of fares.

Most trains are currently £41.50 from Carlisle to Euston, but the 14:49 is only £32.

Coming back the next day it's a similar story if not more expensive.

Most likely you are looking at £41.50 * 2 + £19.70 for the Auchinleck - Euston tickets, so around £102.70, which is a small saving on the £121.90 you mention, but not really great considering you are tied to specific trains.

That's from nationalrail.co.uk

Looking at nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk you can sometimes get slightly cheaper fares, but in this case not really - they are still around £103.

To Canning Town you can use your games Travelcard

IslandDweller

Canning Town to Excel is about a 20 minute walk - though it is well sign posted.
The nearest station to Excel is Custom House, on the DLR. The DLR is running a very intensive frequency during the Games. (Your games travelcard is valid on the DLR).

The counter-intutive, but fast / easy / uncrowded route is:
Walk five/ten minutes from Euston to St Pancras.
Take Javelin to Stratford Intl.
Change at Stratford Intl towards Canning Town - some services go direct onto route past Excel, or you may need to change at Canning Town.
Games Travelcard is valid on all that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.