Australia is a different world.....

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by Greetlander, 15 Apr 2018.

1. Greetlander

Greetlander Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-...res-moment-train-drives-through-blaze/9659488
    Just another day on Sydney’s suburban network

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Apr 2018
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

Seems to me that the driver of the train was faced with a potential "lose-lose" situation - stop the train and be caught by the fire anyway, or risk driving on and perhaps losing power as he passed by or through it and getting caught that way. The posted video suggests he decided to accelerate to pass through the danger zone as quickly as possible. It would be interesting to know if he was able to get information from the signallers controlling the line to assist his decision, which seems to have been the right one on this occasion.

4. Shaw S Hunter

Shaw S Hunter Established Member

Looking at the photograph in the article the line appears to benefit from a decently wide formation with vegetation a reasonable distance away from the tracks. As such I doubt the risk was as great as some would imagine. Unnerving nevertheless.

5. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

I would have thought that getting away from there ASAP was more important than waiting for authority to reverse etc, given the risk of harm to passengers by smoke inhalation.

6. LesS

LesS Member

I have not seen this video before.
    The train is passing through the suburb of Holsworthy and is inbound to the city. I cannot tell whether the footage was taken on the saturday or sunday. The line in this area was closed for some hours on sunday at least.
    This was a busy weekend for local railfans with the annual Steamfest at Maitland in the Hunter Valley and a heritage suburban electric run on the Cronulla branch. I was over at Cronulla, about 10kms in direct line, and the smoke was thick in the air. The smoke clouds in the sky were visible for a radius of 30 or more kms.

Investigators believe that the fire was deliberately lit on the friday afternoon. Hopefully there will be some arrests.

7. Stonesourscotty

Stonesourscotty Member

Wigan,United Kingdon and Sydney (Unfortunately) Au
    The Smokeclouds where visible from The entirety of the Katoomba to Central train line amazingly