• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Austrian Airlines stops flights between Vienna and Salzburg, offers trains instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The seismic changes in the whole aviation market in the last few months, plus commercial intelligence that BA has gained over the last (say) five years, means that weak twigs are ripe to prune.

I wonder if relaxation of "use it or lose it" rules about slots have helped influence their decision. I was always under the impression that a certain number of slots were restricted to domestic-only, hence the ludicrous sight of Flybe running a Dash 8 into Heathrow. If that starts to fall away, or if you get to keep your slot even if you don't use it, then why run domestic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

I wonder if relaxation of "use it or lose it" rules about slots have helped influence their decision. I was always under the impression that a certain number of slots were restricted to domestic-only, hence the ludicrous sight of Flybe running a Dash 8 into Heathrow. If that starts to fall away, or if you get to keep your slot even if you don't use it, then why run domestic?

They were the so-called ‘remediation’ slots, which were indeed restricted to domestic routes for a period of time. That was (allegedly) Virgin’s interest in flybe, even after their own domestic belly flop with little red.

The shorthaul changes in the last few years that BA has seen are things like double daily Ibizas with Club Europe back to Row 12; one ways to Nice for £742 in Economy; Santorinis, Zakynthos, Genevas, Zurichs and Madrids full and standing.

These twist quite significantly the economics of connecting networks, so while (say) a Leeds Heathrow route with a high percentage of interline traffic has a fundamentally different economic profile than (say) a Leeds to Gatwick easyJet point to point model, if the Leeds Heathrow operator identifies better commercial opportunities with the capital asset and time, they’ll shift to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.