• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Auto Anouncments - Errors/funny sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

Chaz said:
That's right. Although was it ever "Marple Rose Hill"?

To be honest I dont know. Perhaps in the days when it was a halt on the way to Macc, but in the recent past, it has always been Rose Hill Marple, and on class 101 destination blinds (and 2nd gen blinds) just "Rose Hill".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
metrocammel said:
To be honest I dont know. Perhaps in the days when it was a halt on the way to Macc, but in the recent past, it has always been Rose Hill Marple, and on class 101 destination blinds (and 2nd gen blinds) just "Rose Hill".

That's right. Maybe my memory isn't as good as it and didn't pick up on any details. :)

trainman

Heard on all trains operated by First Capital Connect going into Kings Cross from Kings Lynn/Cambridge/Peterborough. 'This train is for BLondon Kings Cross, calling at............'

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Announcments at Gatwick scAirport are funny, where they have a recording of First Capital Connect which sounds nothing like the rest of the announcment.

eezypeazy

At stations on the Tyne Valley, the recorded announcement pronounces Prudhoe as "Proo-dough", when locals and Archers fans know it's Prudda.

eezypeazy

H

HR2

At stations on the Tyne Valley, the recorded announcement pronounces Prudhoe as "Proo-dough", when locals and Archers fans know it's Prudda.

eezypeazy

Yeah, took me along time to suss that. Me being a cockney, bus drivers were for ever saying 'where?

Craig

Established Member
I overheard someone talking about "wheel-ham station" at Hexham the other day... :lol:

Oh, and the Metro auto announcer at Pelaw can't seem to cope with terminating trains. "This is Pelaw. The next station is... Pelaw." :?

WhiteVanMan

I overheard someone talking about "wheel-ham station" at Hexham the other day... :lol:

Oh, and the Metro auto announcer at Pelaw can't seem to cope with terminating trains. "This is Pelaw. The next station is... Pelaw." :?

Same as the SWT Desiros...!!
"This train is for Basingstoke and the next is Basingstoke"
Or the Voyager I caught to Birmingham New Street when they first came out where every station was Reading!!!!!!

asopu10

The train I get to Nottingham often says This train is for Nottingham, calling at Nottingham. Or it will be stuck on a station and say Next station Attenbourgh all the way. Though thats not funny, just annoying, they also sometimes show a completely diffrent route, for example my Nottingham train saying its going to Birmingham new street when its going to Nottingham only.

tedted

On 3rd June this year, I went to Locomotion, which is a railway museum in Shildon, County Durham. The first leg of the journey was on Virgin Trains from Chesterfield to Darlington. As the train was approaching York, the train manager announced on the P.A. system: "We will shortly be arriving at York. Do you want sugar with that?"

Do the train managers on Virgin XC double up as shop assistants (as you will probably know, they have a shop instead of a buffet), or can't they be bothered to make the announcements themselves, relying on the shop assistants to do it for them?

:D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I certaintly have to say, Virgin Trains certaintly have the most enthusiastic staff when it comes to making announcements - there's John, who is a fan of alliteration, saying things like "We are now approaching charismatic Cheltenham Spa" and "brilliant Birmingham New Street" - and also says "thank you for travelling with Virgin Trains - where the wheels of friendship keep on turning" plus there's Sandra "My name is SANDRA and I shall be your Traaaaaaain Manager as far as........ Birrrrmingham Neeeeeew Street."

Jim

Established Member
I certaintly have to say, Virgin Trains certaintly have the most enthusiastic staff when it comes to making announcements - there's John, who is a fan of alliteration, saying things like "We are now approaching charismatic Cheltenham Spa" and "brilliant Birmingham New Street" - and also says "thank you for travelling with Virgin Trains - where the wheels of friendship keep on turning" plus there's Sandra "My name is SANDRA and I shall be your Traaaaaaain Manager as far as........ Birrrrmingham Neeeeeew Street."

Sandra is just a classic, you also get Nigel who is Bristol based RSM IIRC, which starts with "HELLO ladies & gentlemen, I am the bloke in the shop selling.....COME DOWN TO THE SHOP because YOU KNOW THE PRICE IS RIGHT thank uuuuuuuuu

Sprog

Established Member
Sandra is just a classic, you also get Nigel who is Bristol based RSM IIRC, which starts with "HELLO ladies & gentlemen, I am the bloke in the shop selling.....COME DOWN TO THE SHOP because YOU KNOW THE PRICE IS RIGHT thank uuuuuuuuu

hahaha! yeah, he was on my voyager from BPW - BNS when i went to chester!

tractorboy

Was at Ipswich the other day and apparently a 'First North Western' service was bound for Liverpool Street!

Galaxy

The announcers at Doncaster are *USELESS*!

I must admit they aren't as good as they used to be. I used to enjoy listening to a chap who used to do the announcements in 2002/2003 but suddenly disappeared (probably due to the announcements he used to make!) Here's some I remember:

* Platform 8 for the 2040 Arriva arrival - if that makes sense - from Manchester Airport. This forms the 2103 Arriva departure - that definitely doesn't make sense - to Cleethorpes!

* Passengers on platform 4 please stand back from the platform edge, a fast train is approaching ... passengers on platform 4, please disregard that message - well the fast bit anyway!

* Platform 8 for Glasgow Central. I know it says Edinburgh on the displays but it is for Glasgow, I kid you not!

Me and a mate used to be in stitches!!

1D53

Established Member
Either somebodies been doctoring the announcer or has played with the sound file.

Daniel

Established Member
They've probably got

"Toilets are located towards the rear of the train" or something and put it in between other announcements.

class 313

Established Member
Not really, I think somone has been messing around like JsT said. Coz you have toilets randomly placed in sentcances but with Memorexs theory it would have to have that full sentance in, which it doesnt.

Daniel

Established Member
Umm.. wrong. If they know how to put it into another sound file, they will know how to isolate "toilets". Its pretty easy..... And Tom, JsT basically said what I said... messing around with it, or doctoring it, is basically moving words around or adding/removing them.

T

Tom

On Desiros, you can type in what you want to say and it will come out with it.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On Desiros, you can type in what you want to say and it will come out with it.

But it will only say it if the words are in the system which is why I think that if a 350 Desiro does a Birmingham to Wolverhampton local it wont announce the stations as the station names are not in the system

thefab444

Established Member
The guy on the 444 & 450 who also does all of the station announcements at most SWT stations (except places like Waterloo which has its own), can only say station names and certain other train related things. On a Bournemouth & Portsmouth Harbour (they split at Eastleigh on Sundays) train he is really annoying...

"This is London Waterloo, this train terminates here, all change please... Welcome aboard the South West Trains service to Bournemouth & Portsmouth Harbour. Calling at Clapham Junction, Woking, Basingstoke, Winchester & Eastleigh, where this train divides. Please ensure you are travelling in the correct portion of this train. The front 5 coaches will be calling at, Hedge End, Botley, Fareham, Portchester, Cosham, Hilsea, Fratton, Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour. The rear 5 coaches will be calling at, Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, Totton, Ashurst New Forest, Beaulieu Road, Brockenhurst... (long pause of about 15 seconds)... Sway, New Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown and Bournemouth. Please ensure you keep all your belongings with you, and if you see anything suspicious please tell a member of staff... ... Closed circuit television is used on this train for your safety and security. This train is for Bournemouth & Portsmouth Harbour and the next station is Clapham Junction."

Grrrr... any reason for the long pause between Brockenhurst & Sway, is it because of insufficient memory to load those station files?

John

Coxster

Established Member
The guy on the 444 & 450 who also does all of the station announcements at most SWT stations (except places like Waterloo which has its own), can only say station names and certain other train related things.
Poor man - seems he made a good career choice though :lol: ;)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Grrrr... any reason for the long pause between Brockenhurst & Sway, is it because of insufficient memory to load those station files?

John

The 350 announcer sometimes pauses if there are a lot of stations and the PIS also pauses as well, not sure why. Also the 305 have a female announcer not a male one like the 444 and 450s

T

Tom

matt, it depends on the voice loaded onto the system and selected for use at that point.

The 450s certainly are able to say _anything_ according to several driver trainers.

The guy on the 444 & 450 who also does all of the station announcements at most SWT stations (except places like Waterloo which has its own), can only say station names and certain other train related things. On a Bournemouth & Portsmouth Harbour (they split at Eastleigh on Sundays) train he is really annoying...
:?::?: The station announcements are Phil Sayer or the female one ... the on board announcements are either synthesised by a computer or built in announcements by another voice
Probably blue-screens because Sway is such a small place and doesn't know where it is :mrgreen:

1D53

Established Member
The TPX ones have big gaps in too "First TransPennine Express would like to welcome passengers joining this...... Liverpool Lime Street service, calling at Huddersfield. Stalybridge, Manchester Piccadilly......................................................Manchester Oxford Road, Birchwood, Warrington Central and .................................................. Liverpool Lime Street.

I think its so the screens dont get too far behind!

1D53

Established Member
Umm.. wrong. If they know how to put it into another sound file, they will know how to isolate "toilets". Its pretty easy..... And Tom, JsT basically said what I said... messing around with it, or doctoring it, is basically moving words around or adding/removing them.

The easy way to tell this is doctored.

If you heard this announcement: a) You wouldn't be ready to record it anyway and b) you would probably be wetting yourself with laughter.

Its faked

Status
Not open for further replies.