• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Auto Anouncments - Errors/funny sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

asopu10

Not an auto annoucment but it did confuse a few people, at the end of the anucment of where the train was going the conductor then said safety information is posted by the external doors, a few people glanced around looking for it, the safety information was non exsistant at least by the external doors we were at. I also recal a conductor telling the train all the stops to Birmingham new street, which was very nice of him except the train was to Matlock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
The 350 announcer is quite funny, was on a Euston-Crewe service the other day, and it goes through the stations pretty normally, but when it gets to Lichfield and Rugeley Trent Valley, it sounds really robotic.

Anyone for trent valley?

After getting off the 350, found this rather random help point at Rugeley...

Help Point

:lol:

Jordy

devon_metro

Established Member
I've had one of those help points that kept ringing and nobody picked up :(

It must have gone on for 15 mins! I thought i broke it! But after a good hit it stopped ringing :lol:

1D53

Established Member
The TPE announcer:

"This is Oxenholmelakedistrict! This train is for WINNNNNDEEEEEEMERE" The next station is WINNNNDERMERE!"

SWT 455 announcements since changing them are a bit messed up, And and London waterloo though i think they might have changed them now

Galvanize

At london bridge, the southern side platforms (8-16) have the man with the deep voice (mechanical mike, as opposed to Sarcastic Sarah the slut :lol:). When he announces the Uckfield line services, Hever, Cowden and Ashurst are announced with a completely different male voice! If anyone knows why that's always happened, could they explain why?

compsci

Hever, Cowden and Ashurst are the least busy stations on the Uckfield line. It is possible that the limited through service to London bridge which existed in thumper days (which is probably when the announcer was installed) wasn't intended to stop there. A timetable from those years would confirm or refute this theorem.

TheSlash

Established Member
Re railing through Portsmouth & Southsea high level today, we were bombarded at least once every 5 minutes by security announcements and the same announcement by 3 different TOCs, about the engineering work. Trouble is, the station was totally closed up to the public and there weren't any scheduled services either.

Tom C

Hever, Cowden and Ashurst are the least busy stations on the Uckfield line. It is possible that the limited through service to London bridge which existed in thumper days (which is probably when the announcer was installed) wasn't intended to stop there. A timetable from those years would confirm or refute this theorem.

Spot on!

The original 99 used to run fast to East Croydon, Oxted, Hurst Green, Edenbridge Town, Eridge, Crowborough, Buxted and Uckfield.

First Capital Connect is also a totally different voice when its the male announcer at Gatwick and London Bridge.

Jordy

Established Member
Why has everywhere become Trent Valley! Last I looked it was Atherstone, Polesworth, Tamworth, Lichfield Trent Valley, Rugeley Trent Valley, Stafford and Crewe, not everywhere Trent Valley!

I've found my copy of Audacity again ;)

Julian G

Established Member
The 350 announcer is quite funny, was on a Euston-Crewe service the other day, and it goes through the stations pretty normally, but when it gets to Lichfield and Rugeley Trent Valley, it sounds really robotic.

Anyone for trent valley?

:lol:

Jordy

I reckon the Trent Valley Tourist Board wanted to promote their town and put Trent Valley after every stop :glasses1:

thefab444

Established Member
Anyway, a while a go on the Central Line I heard "THIS TRAIN TERMINATES AT ONGAR". ;)

Ah, so they can still say "This is a Central Line Train to Ongar"? I was on a Central Line train the other day and the woman was getting in a twist and at every station repeating "This is a Central Line Train to Loughton" and sometimes "This is South Ruislip, please mind the gap between the train and platform change here for National Rail Services. This is S... This is a Central Line Train to Loughton.... .. .. ... This is a Central Line Train to Loughton."

Hentis

Heard at Poole this morning:-
The 10:57 Waterloo - Weymouth service is 7 minutes late due to a late running of a preceeding service at Clapham, North Yorkshire!!!

Seems as though the system has a hangover.

Cheers

Hentis

class 313

Established Member
lmao,

At Watford I heard

The train on platform 9 is for:-

Harrow, Radlett, York, St pancras and Euston.

Mintona

Established Member
Amusing announcemts -can't beat Hereford.
"Train now approaching platform 2 is xxxx Arriva Trains Wales service to Milford Haven, and Pembroke Dock.
Passengers for Abergavenny, Cwmbran, Newport, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath, Swansea, Llanelli, Pembrey and Burry Port, Camarthen, Clunderwen, Clarbestone Road, Haverfordwest, Johnston, and Milford Haven should travel in the front half of the train.
Passengers for Abergavenny, Cwmbran, Newport, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath, Swansea, Llanelli, Pembrey and Burry Port, Camarthen, Kilgetty, Saundersfoot, Tenby, Penally, Manorbier, Lamphey, Pembroke, and Pembroke Dock should travel in the rear half of the train.
Platform 2 for the xxxx Arriva Trains Wales service to Milford Haven, and Pembroke Dock. Please stand back behind the yellow line until your train comes to a complete stop.
Clunderwen, Clarbeston Road, Johnston, Kilgetty, Penally, Manorbier and Lamphey are request stops, and passengers for these stations should ask the conductor on the train to arrange for the train to stop, to allow them to alight.

Funny thing was, she did it all again almost immediately!

Philip

On Moderation
The Arriva Trains Wales announcer sounds quite 'digital'. She's the new digital doris on the 175s.

Do the 180s have the same system/announcer as the 175s?

The 185 system sounds more like a local service and you can tell that people can type in what they want it to say, rather than a set recorded announcement.

thefab444

Established Member
I thought 185s used the normal system, not a synthesised voice, just a collection of clips mashed together.

180s have a wierd announcer who likes shouting LONDON PADDINGTON!

Philip

On Moderation
I thought 185s used the normal system, not a synthesised voice, just a collection of clips mashed together.

180s have a wierd announcer who likes shouting LONDON PADDINGTON!

The announcer does sound more human on the 185s, but it's definitely pre-recorded. The announcer doesn't always read the 'we will be calling at', sometimes she just says 'the next stop will be xxxxxx'.

Jordy

Established Member
The 185 system sounds more like a local service and you can tell that people can type in what they want it to say, rather than a set recorded announcement.

People can't type in what they want it to say, and it IS a 'set recorded announcement' - sort of, lots of different phrases are recorded, and then the computer pieces them together. For example an announcement may be made up of [Transpennine Express] [Welcomes all customers joining this] [Manchester Airport] [service, which will be calling at] [Mauldeth Road] [Burnage] [and] [Manchester Airport]

As for not always saying the calling points, this is only done at certain stations, although the logic seems a bit strange, the most sensible thing would be to do it after 'major stations', and although I would class Grimsby and Scunthorpe as 'Major', the TPE system announces calling points after Grimsby and Scunthorpe, yet not after Darlington, Durham and other large places.

The 185s also have 2 different recordings of each station, as can be proved here

The system can piece together many different things, such as 'This is x this train is for x the next stop will be x', 'The next stop will be x', 'Next stop x' along with various other things :)

Jordy

Status
Not open for further replies.