• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Auto Focus lights on DSLRs - do they cause any problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welly

I gave my Nikon D40 DLSR to my friend and recently he asked me how to turn off the AF light on the front of the camera.

I pointed out that it only comes on in low light conditions to assist with the AF and that I have used that camera for photographing trains without problems as it is nowhere near as bright as flashes.

Can any train driver on this forum tell us if they have any problem with AF lights on cameras or not please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
I would turn it off as it pretty much serves no purpose when shooting trains which will pretty much always be illuminated by something more than a puny AF light. Whether it's natural light or artificial light. If your AF light is bright enough to provide more illumination than the lighting already available, then it is probably dazzling for the driver.

On the flip side, the whole 'no flash' thing does seem a little questionable now that drivers have to put up with insanely bright LED signals and the new-style 10 trillion candle train headlights. Perhaps it is the unexpected nature of a flash that is the problem though. Regardless, as a photographer, I can't imagine any situation where I'd want to use the flash, especially on the railway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.