• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Why do the turbos have holes inside where the advertising posters would usually be fitted? Some are circular some rectangular and they have clearly been cut in a particular way but why? Looks awful

YSTrains

On Moderation
Hi. Can anyone list which turbos have their interiors refurbished and which ones still have the old interiors. Yesterday I had the chance to go on unit 165122.

CR165022

166205 is done, however is in a pretty bad state and will possibly be redone when they start the 166s to bring it up to standard

fgwrich

Established Member
166205 is done, however is in a pretty bad state and will possibly be redone when they start the 166s to bring it up to standard
I wouldn’t exactly describe is as done in the sense of this refresh - 205 was refreshed for the then franchise launch and has been ‘touched’ along the way including, hopefully, the changing of the rancid flat cloth for Moquette.

JN114

Established Member
Are you sure. I found out that 166205 already was given the refurb from 2016!

I’m quite certain that those are the only 3 units to have completed, or are currently in the current refresh programme, yes.

As others have put, 166205 was rebranded as part of the GWR launch in September 2015 - that rebranding is not part of or representative of the current programme.

northernbelle

I’m quite certain that those are the only 3 units to have completed, or are currently in the current refresh programme, yes.

As others have put, 166205 was rebranded as part of the GWR launch in September 2015 - that rebranding is not part of or representative of the current programme.
I'm sure 205 will be treated as part of this programme - there are modifications beyond just paint and carpets that it will need to bring it in line with the others.

JN114

Established Member
I'm sure 205 will be treated as part of this programme - there are modifications beyond just paint and carpets that it will need to bring it in line with the others.

I’m certain it will, when the other 166s are done, it will go away during that period.

However, the suggestion was that my listing of units already through the programme was incorrect; and that 205 should be added.

JN114

Established Member
All the 2 car 165s are now based at Bristol

Not so - it was intended as such, but hasn’t happened.

118-127 remain Reading units for now, 128-137 remain Bristol units. 1x Bristol unit is permanently on LTV work on a rolling basis - the current visitor to Reading is 135. The changeover happens at Worcester every weekday morning.

Some issue with syncing maintenance plans properly between Reading and Bristol apparently.

As such, the West units are going for mods from SPM, not Reading as originally intended.

NoOnesFool

Why do the turbos have holes inside where the advertising posters would usually be fitted? Some are circular some rectangular and they have clearly been cut in a particular way but why? Looks awful
When they were introduced, they were based at Barton Hill, as opposed to Reading TMD. These were designated for long distance services to Worcester Foregate Street and other long distance routes from Paddington. This is why they weren't fitted with poster holders. BR didn't fit such things to long distance rolling stock.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When they were introduced, they were based at Barton Hill, as opposed to Reading TMD. These were designated for long distance services to Worcester Foregate Street and other long distance routes from Paddington. This is why they weren't fitted with poster holders. BR didn't fit such things to long distance rolling stock.
In common with other NSE rolling stock, 166s were installed with Edward Pond murals on the internal bulkheads. However, they were very much allocated to Reading depot when they were introduced. They always had holders for maps and other information in the doorways.

I'm not really sure what gives the impression that Barton Hill had any allocation of units in late BR days. It was a depot for the parcels business which subsequently passed to EWS.

Last edited:

On Moderation
They were never allocated to Barton Hill. Reading based from new.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Is there a list of all those done? Including those being done, as the next time we see them they will be done.
Thanks!