• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Available if Unoccupied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master29

Established Member
It must be nice to be rich enough to be able to book hotel rooms without bothering about the cost. Unfortunately, you seem to assume that I am also that well-off - sadly that is not the case. If I want to travel, doing so based on the availability of cheap hotel deals is a necessity for most places.

I would very much like to book my train tickets before travel and have reserved seats, as you recommend. Increasingly TOCs such as Virgin are leaving very few seats left for walk-on passengers. Unfortunately my local TOC has made it virtually impossible for me to do so. Very many other people are also in the same situation.

TOCs increasingly seem to want people to have reservations. If so, they need to make it a lot easier than it is now to book them, particularly at short notice, and if your journey involves more than one TOC's services.

I do feel we have rather drifted off the subject of booked reservations not being properly displayed.
No, I don`t assume you are necessarily well off at all, and in truth I completely agree with your post but good availability isn`t necessarily confined to bookings months in advance any more than at short notice at times, especially with the likes of cross country. This is of course as you rightly point out a little off topic however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
No, I don`t assume you are necessarily well off at all, and in truth I completely agree with your post but good availability isn`t necessarily confined to bookings months in advance any more than at short notice at times, especially with the likes of cross country. This is of course as you rightly point out a little off topic however.

I usually get decent tickets booking a week ahead . I dont want to book too far in advance if its not something special within the UK.

al78

Established Member
I feel reservations should not be automatically applied to advance tickets. If someone wants one they can reserve.

I'd support this, just have the ticket valid for a particular train, but sit anywhere. I had a period when I got one of the worst seats in the carriage* reserved on several consecutive journeys.

*One of the seats without a window nearby.

6Gman

Established Member
Are you saying that all the journeys you make cannot be ordered at less than 24 hour notice? I find this hard to believe. You can use express delivery can you not, even though I know it`s expensive.

I frequently don't know where I'm going until I get to the station.

Sometimes I change my mind on the platform.

That's the beauty of our public transport system.

6Gman

Established Member
How it should work (IMO):

If TOCs are going to use electronic reservations then:
a) they should work. Reliably.
b) they should be clear - RESERVED Taunton to Derby (or whatever).
c) they should not become magically reserved en route. If I'm travelling Taunton to Derby I don't want to discover that my unreserved seat is now reserved.
d) they should be reprogrammed as they arrive at a terminating point, not three minutes before departure.

Same rules apply to paper reservations.

No "reservation but no allocated seat" (as used by ATW - do TfW do it?). When I'm on a Cardiff-Crewe I want to look at what's on Gresty Bridge, not field worried passengers asking for "Seat ****".

Reservations - where possible - up to 10/15 minutes before departure from origin OR have a small allocation en route. So on a Plymouth - Newcastle (e.g.) you could have a few "May be reserved from Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield" etc.

route101

Established Member
How it should work (IMO):

If TOCs are going to use electronic reservations then:
a) they should work. Reliably.
b) they should be clear - RESERVED Taunton to Derby (or whatever).
c) they should not become magically reserved en route. If I'm travelling Taunton to Derby I don't want to discover that my unreserved seat is now reserved.
d) they should be reprogrammed as they arrive at a terminating point, not three minutes before departure.

Same rules apply to paper reservations.

No "reservation but no allocated seat" (as used by ATW - do TfW do it?). When I'm on a Cardiff-Crewe I want to look at what's on Gresty Bridge, not field worried passengers asking for "Seat ****".

Reservations - where possible - up to 10/15 minutes before departure from origin OR have a small allocation en route. So on a Plymouth - Newcastle (e.g.) you could have a few "May be reserved from Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield" etc.

Find that quite often on Virgin , the reservations dont show until after departure from Glasgow . Another reason i just go to coach u.

Mugby

Established Member
Find that quite often on Virgin , the reservations dont show until after departure from Glasgow . Another reason i just go to coach u.

I shall be travelling to Glasgow by Virgin soon, I understand Coach C is the unreserved one, what is Coach U ?

route101

Established Member
I'd support this, just have the ticket valid for a particular train, but sit anywhere. I had a period when I got one of the worst seats in the carriage* reserved on several consecutive journeys.

*One of the seats without a window nearby.

Yeah , like Northern do with their advances . I prefer that , its better when your starting from origin .

Skie

Saw the other day the confusion the whole "Available if Unoccupied" causes. Train sat at Lime Street and an older gent gets on, sees the sign on ever seat at a table and decides to upgrade himself from his reserved airline seat. He settles down, bags/coat away above and book out then of course the real owners of those seats turn up and there is much kerfuffle about who should be sitting where. Obviously none of them were regular travellers as it all got a bit confusing, and he did say "well it was unoccupied when I got on!" but eventually they sorted themselves out into the correct seats.

It just seems unnecessarily confusing. The system can change from one status to another as each station call is made, so having it show neither reserved or unreserved at the starting station is crazy. And don't get me started with split tickets and being given multiple seats on the same train! If your booking method allows for selection of seats then you can sometimes fix that by choosing the same seat for each leg of the journey, but it's a bit hit and miss if it works or not.

chrish2

The reliability of the system is poor especially from starting stations. I've not had a problem to date but can imagine on a very busy service it causing problems.

The wording is problematic especially in the failure scenario been seen. I would change the wording to something like "Possibly available". This would mean customers without reservations would first fill "Available" seats.

Virgin may not be fully aware of the extent of the issue as you only notice it relevant to your situation. In most cases you get lucky, the reserved seat that shows "Available if Unoccupied" and would not raise a complaint. Only once there is an issue or an inconvenience would people go to the effort of complaining.

Meerkat

Established Member

If they can allow reservations onto moving trains how difficult it would it be to allow you to put in an already purchased ticket ref number and add a reservation - ie reserve the seat you have found for the rest of your journey?

daniel97

Just to add to the great reservations debate.....

A week or two back, I joined a Virgin train at Euston. The electronic seat displays in the coach I boarded showed virtually all the seats as "Available if unoccupied". As more people arrived, it became obvious that a lot of people had reservations for seats that were labelled as "Available if unoccupied". Fortunately nobody claimed my seat, but if they had, I would have informed them that it was unoccupied when I arrived, and therefore available for me to sit in.

Do Virgin trains have some obscure meaning for "Available if unoccupied"? Do they really mean "Available if not reserved" - in which case, why not just say "Reserved"?

Sounds like it just come off depot. Our reservation system isn't currently programmed to determine the difference between Departure from Depot and Departure from Origin Station, hence why it said it at Euston. When it's coming from an inward working, it will say "reserved" until about 5/10 minutes after departure and then changes.

I think it's good personally, but the kinks need to be ironed out for it to be successful. A lot of our TMs are having issues with passengers because of it.

daniel97

Just out of interest, how are the Virgin seat reservations loaded onto the train? Are they remotely loaded from a central control or does the TM or someone have to do it at the start of the journey?

Personally I still much prefer the old fashioned paper seat reservations that leave no room for misinterpretation (unless someone removes them like Begbie in Trainspotting! :D )

They're downloaded from/using TMS. A TM downloads them and they automatically apply within about 5 or 10 minutes. Location dependant, of course! I'm hearing of more issues than before with the new version that's being used.

kieron

Established Member
They're still the same. If you book on the TfW site, you can get any of the following:

Reservation not possible
Reservations not available
Reserved - no seat allocated *

* The passenger is free to sit in any unreserved seat for the class of travel specified on the ticket

Who knows what it all means?

trainophile

Established Member
They're still the same. If you book on the TfW site, you can get any of the following:

Reservation not possible
Reservations not available
Reserved - no seat allocated *

* The passenger is free to sit in any unreserved seat for the class of travel specified on the ticket

Who knows what it all means?

And sometimes you click on the info button and see "Reservations recommended". But if you're buying an Advance ticket you can't get one, apparently unless you buy at a station, which rather defeats the object of booking in Advance from the comfort of your home.

route101

Established Member
And sometimes you click on the info button and see "Reservations recommended". But if you're buying an Advance ticket you can't get one, apparently unless you buy at a station, which rather defeats the object of booking in Advance from the comfort of your home.

Tfw seat reservations , now counted place ones ?

Status
Not open for further replies.