• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Available jobs - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

daccer

Good day all.

I have just returned to the UK and am looking to get an entry level job on he railways. I am thinking of something in a customer facing role i.e Train Manager/revenue protection, customer services etc. I have a couple of questions which those in the know might be able to help me with. I am not geographically restrained and can locate anywhere in the UK for the right job.

What is the best way to find available jobs open to outside applicants. There are a lot of different companies and they all have their own websites. Is the only way to trawl through them all one at a time?

Is there any value in sending a generic application with cv to the companies HR/recruitment depts and would they keep such apps on file. Or do you have to keep checking the websites periodically.

Are there any tips when applying? is it best to use the online application forms?

Are there any jobs currently going which might be available to someone like myself outside of the industry? i.e are there any companies undertaking recruitment drives (new franchises etc).

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Best way is to register with individual operators careers websites, and set up alerts, so that you receive an email when new jobs have been posted online.

Be warned though, that some jobs may appear for 24 hours or less, and your email alert might arrive after the job, so its also advisable to check the websites daily..

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What is the best way to find available jobs open to outside applicants. There are a lot of different companies and they all have their own websites. Is the only way to trawl through them all one at a time?

As JamesGar has said, you can set up alerts but unfortunately the best way is to trawl through and see what you can find. Be aware that some roles will require you to live within a certain distance, and you'll more than likely be sifted out if you don't meet this criteria.

Is there any value in sending a generic application with cv to the companies HR/recruitment depts and would they keep such apps on file. Or do you have to keep checking the websites periodically.

It's worth a try, as some companies operate "talent pools".

Are there any tips when applying? is it best to use the online application forms?

Follow their requirements. If they want a CV and covering letter, send that in. If they'd prefer you to use their form, then do that. Some roles require you to answer specific questions and forms will be tailored for that.

Are there any jobs currently going which might be available to someone like myself outside of the industry? i.e are there any companies undertaking recruitment drives (new franchises etc).

Always :D Despite what some think, the railway is always open to new talent - especially if you're not immediately wanting an on-train role. A customer service role at a station is an ideal starting point. I worked in a ticket office for a few years before moving to an onboard guards role. So long as you've got skills to offer (e.g. customer service) then you're in with a shot.

New franchises won't necessarily bring recruitment drives, as they retain the staff from the old franchise. It just depends what order the previous incumbent has left the house in!

Status
Not open for further replies.