• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti and Seatfrog

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisdicks

Just wondering what the bidding process would typically be like on an Avanti train using Seatfrog? I'm travelling end of next month from Glasgow Central to London Euston and back on advance singles. Travelling ona Thursday and Tuesday, journeys starts around 12-1pm each way so wondering what the likelihood of high bidding is like.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bkhtele

If you can be flexible you can monitor say 3 journeys & bid on the best value one. In June I got Coventry to Edinburgh for £12.50. Suspect up to £25/£35 would be a good deal for your journey. All depends how much you want/willing to spend. Bidding seems to stop around 1 hour before the train departs.

philthetube

Established Member
you cannot rely on upgrades being offered for your trip,

looking at the same times on earlier dates may give you an idea

Tallguy

Bids on Seatfrog close 30 mins before departure of the train. I have used Seatfrog with great success in the past securing an Edinburgh to KX upgrade for just £12. I suggest you wait until 10-12 seconds before the auction closes to place your bid, that way it will be too late for others to outbid you when the bid value updates. It works well for me…..

lewisdicks

I'm travelling next week but Seatfrog haven't released the options for the week I'm travelling. Looks like opening bids are set to £35 between Glasgow Central and London Euston, is that right? Could it end up being lower? I've paid £26 each way in standard class (with railcard discount), and standard premium at the time of booking would have been £20 extra each way but had assumed Seatfrog might be cheaper.

Blinkbonny

Seems to me that Avanti Seatfrog upgrades have risen with the general Advance First Class prices.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm travelling next week but Seatfrog haven't released the options for the week I'm travelling. Looks like opening bids are set to £35 between Glasgow Central and London Euston, is that right? Could it end up being lower? I've paid £26 each way in standard class (with railcard discount), and standard premium at the time of booking would have been £20 extra each way but had assumed Seatfrog might be cheaper.

£35 sounds about average for what I’ve seen. I think I was quoted something stupid like £25 for just Glasgow to Carlisle a month ago.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Seems to me that Avanti Seatfrog upgrades have risen with the general Advance First Class prices.
Who’d have thought it? Less first class seating on the trains and a set price for Premium Standard…

island

Veteran Member
An Avanti journey I recently booked through GWR is now showing SeatFrog eligibility, which I don't remember being possible in the past. I guess as GWR and Avanti are both participating.

jrh2254

I have tried booking upgrades with avanti (and CrossCounty) and had no success. Seems that some people bid silly prices (why I dont know!). I then travel on the train I booked and there is plenty of room in 1st class and also std class! Just dont get it?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have tried booking upgrades with avanti (and CrossCounty) and had no success. Seems that some people bid silly prices (why I dont know!). I then travel on the train I booked and there is plenty of room in 1st class and also std class! Just dont get it?
There's often only one or two Seatfrog seats per train.

jrh2254

Perhaps to make sure they win.
Yes goes without saying, but why push the price up to what appears to be a silly price (ie not value for money - in some cases I recall being offered a price lower price either during or after bidding finishes?)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes goes without saying, but why push the price up to what appears to be a silly price (ie not value for money - in some cases I recall being offered a price lower price either during or after bidding finishes?)
Because sometimes in auctions people offer too much. That's the customer's problem, not the seller's.

Status
Not open for further replies.