• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Compulsory seat Reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

My partner is planning to travel on Thursday morning from Euston to Penrith for work purposes and then return sometime Friday afternoon to Watford Junction. Outward not a problem to book 0910 (First train an off peak return is valid) However it's difficult to say what time she will get to Penrith she will try to get the 1703 departure but may be in time for the 1621 or may late and have to get the 1804. If she has a seat reservation on the 1703 is it likely to be a problem on the 1621 or the 1804 without a reservation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
My partner is planning to travel on Thursday morning from Euston to Penrith for work purposes and then return sometime Friday afternoon to Watford Junction. Outward not a problem to book 0910 (First train an off peak return is valid) However it's difficult to say what time she will get to Penrith she will try to get the 1703 departure but may be in time for the 1621 or may late and have to get the 1804. If she has a seat reservation on the 1703 is it likely to be a problem on the 1621 or the 1804 without a reservation?
Just make a reservation on each train. They are going to all be empty anyway, sadly.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
She has a flexible ticket and thus can and should take whichever train she likes. She shouldn't worry about which train she does or doesn't have a reservation for. In all likelihood she'll have half or all of a coach to herself.

alistairlees

Established Member
She has a flexible ticket and thus can and should take whichever train she likes. She shouldn't worry about which train she does or doesn't have a reservation for. In all likelihood she'll have half or all of a coach to herself.
This is poor advice, though I would not expect it to lead to any real issues. All AWC trains are currently mandatory reservation only, irrespective of ticket type held. It is easy to make a new / additional reservation - just email [email protected] or send a Twitter DM. This should ensure that the OP's partner has nothing to be worried about.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is poor advice, though I would not expect it to lead to any real issues. All AWC trains are currently mandatory reservation only, irrespective of ticket type held. It is easy to make a new / additional reservation - just email [email protected] or send a Twitter DM. This should ensure that the OP's partner has nothing to be worried about.

And as things are so empty at the moment, there will not be a problem with going to the ticket office and changing the reservation whenever they want.

Trackman

Established Member
A Twitter DM might be the better option in my opinion.
And as things are so empty at the moment, there will not be a problem with going to the ticket office and changing the reservation whenever they want.
I cannot see any problem at all too.
I know someone who travelled up for work yesterday and it was a fresh air train.
The taxi driver said to them it was his second job of the day and was at his wits' end and was going home after the fare.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Seat reservations are not compulsory on Avanti, although it is highly desirable to obtain one before travel given that you might not be able to board your preferred train without one.

To help manage social distancing on our trains, we’ve significantly reduced the seating capacity. Therefore, we strongly recommend you book your tickets ahead and make a seat reservation. Bookings can be made up to five minutes before your scheduled departure on our website or app. If you don't have a reservation for your preferred train, there is no guarantee you'll be able to board.

Trackman

Established Member
Seat reservations are not compulsory on Avanti, although it is highly desirable to obtain one before travel given that you might not be able to board your preferred train without one.

I've seen that too, plus looking at RTT it seems some Avanti services are not compulsory reservations.. not that it matters.

njr001

Plenty of space on outward journey

Attachments

• IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 45

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've noticed mandatory reservations were mainly being pushed on the Scotland services. There were notices up at Glasgow Central explaining that it's mandatory to reserve.

I'm assuming this is because the other destinations have 2tph or alternate routes, whereas that was one of Glasgow's only links south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.