• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti First class experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I asked Avanti if they're going to offer any seasonal Christmas food/drink on the First Class menu soon and they said there weren't any plans to do so.
Both LNER and Avanti/Virgin have traditionally used "Christmas menu" only really as an excuse to substitute the usual hot meal and nice dessert for a cold packaged sandwich and packet of cake - rather similar to LNER's stingy present offering. Now that the food makes up a significant part of the large price distance between First and S. Premium, they've probably realised they can't get away with that now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Both LNER and Avanti/Virgin have traditionally used "Christmas menu" only really as an excuse to substitute the usual hot meal and nice dessert for a cold packaged sandwich and packet of cake - rather similar to LNER's stingy present offering. Now that the food makes up a significant part of the large price distance between First and S. Premium, they've probably realised they can't get away with that now.
Good points.

Today's 1R12 06:45 Wolverhampton to London Euston is reported to not have any First Class catering available onboard at all- whereas the Shop is still open in Standard- I do hope any First Class ticket holders get a refund of the difference they paid and possibly also a little extra as a goodwill gesture- particularly as Avanti could have alternatively prioritised providing First Class pax the service they've already paid for in advance. (Unless there's only one person in the Shop?)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if the issues stemming to staff and the motivation may be down to the fact that it's no longer Virgin Trains, so a lot of the enthusiasm has worn off a bit. I've never had an issue travelling in Avanti First, but I have noticed the crews at the Southern end tend to be a bit more surly than the ones from Glasgow.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Sorry to bump the thread, but has anyone got any recent experiences of travelling First Class with Avanti?

se1lad

I did several trips in mid December - a late Friday evening journey London - Liverpool where I was the only person in First, and return trip late on Sunday evening with 4 other passengers.

Outbound journey was fine - all food available and 4 drinks runs.

Return journey there were no sign of any catering crew, and remains of food and drinks from inbound service left on the tables. No announcements made so I went to find the TM after Runcorn who informed me there would be no service in first due to staff shortages. However, a new member of crew boarded at Crewe and went on to deliver the service with 3 drinks runs. Only about half the food options were available though.

I have another trip this week so will report back.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I did several trips in mid December - a late Friday evening journey London - Liverpool where I was the only person in First, and return trip late on Sunday evening with 4 other passengers.

Outbound journey was fine - all food available and 4 drinks runs.

Return journey there were no sign of any catering crew, and remains of food and drinks from inbound service left on the tables. No announcements made so I went to find the TM after Runcorn who informed me there would be no service in first due to staff shortages. However, a new member of crew boarded at Crewe and went on to deliver the service with 3 drinks runs. Only about half the food options were available though.

I have another trip this week so will report back.
Thanks for your interesting post. I think it's poor that the Train Manager didn't make an announcement about the lack of catering in First.

Blinkbonny

Seems to me the cost has more than doubled (for me at least) but it's still the same old lottery.

No thanks.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That's quite dismal. Especially given the fact the previous crew didn't bother cleaning up after them. I understand there are staff shortages but surely someone could've cleaned up a bit...

I've only had the no service once all the way back in Virgin days on a journey from London to Glasgow, where we got nothing until Preston with no announcement. I had to enquire at the shop. Didn't even get offered a coffee or anything. When someone came on in Preston, I'm not sure if it was the TM or a host, they took the trolley out and quickly rushed the sandwich service. Was dismal.

se1lad

Equipment in the kitchen had failed yesterday so they could only offer us a sandwich from the shop and a limited drinks choice in first.

Trackman

Established Member
Equipment in the kitchen had failed yesterday so they could only offer us a sandwich from the shop and a limited drinks choice in first.
That old chestnut.
I’m sure they make it up when they are short of supplies/staff.

Djgr

Established Member
Definitely give Avanti first a miss as clearly service is beyond them.

se1lad

Trip from Liverpool to London on Wednesday night was much better. Only 2 of us in first, even though previous train had been cancelled.

Full choice of food and drinks available (though the freshly squeezed orange juice has been downgraded to cheap concentrated stuff now.)

Offered as many drinks as I wanted, and 2 meals.

se1lad

I’m only booking first class now when I have a 50% voucher to use (I got a few following complaints for my earlier trips in first.) With the discount I can get to Liverpool from London for £51 each way which is just about reasonable.

If I don’t have a voucher I book the cheapest standard advance available. I then bid on seatfrog for the £35 upgrade to first, and if I don’t win I pay £25 on the train instead for Standard Premium and provide my own catering.

se1lad

Another trip to Liverpool this weekend, out on Saturday lunchtime and back on Sunday evening. 11 passengers on the outbound, 4 on the return. Majority of the food and drinks available - no cognac on the return trip though.

Apparently a revised menu launches today, no details on the website yet though.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Another trip to Liverpool this weekend, out on Saturday lunchtime and back on Sunday evening. 11 passengers on the outbound, 4 on the return. Majority of the food and drinks available - no cognac on the return trip though.

Apparently a revised menu launches today, no details on the website yet though.
Interesting, thanks for the information. Avanti don't seem to be efficient at updating their website.

se1lad

Updated menu is now online:

Rest of the day
Avocado and Roasted Tomato Tartine VG
Smashed avocado and slow roasted tomato salsa
layered on toasted granary bloomer bread.

Pumpkin & Ricotta Ravioli V
Soft pasta pillows filled with a pumpkin and ricotta mix, served in a sage cream sauce with roasted butternut squash and pumpkin seeds.

Superfood Nourish Bowl VG
A mix of greens including broccoli, peas, edamame beans and cucumber, served with chickpeas and
a Dijon mustard vinaigrette.
(Ask our team for choice of toppings.)

Charcuterie Grazing Plate
Milano salami and Italian coppa served with a wedge of Mrs Kirkham’s Red Lancashire cheese, sourdough & charcoal crackers, sun-dried tomatoes and Rubies in the Rubble West Coast apple chutney.

Afternoon Tea
A classic selection of sandwiches and warm scones served with chuckleberry jam and clotted cream.
(Vegetarian option also available.)

Fancy something sweet?
Jammie Dodger Loaf Cake
A red velvet sponge topped with buttercream frosting and a mini Jammie Dodger biscuit.

Clementine Tart V
A chocolate pastry case with a tangy orange and lemon filling.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Rest of the day

Soft pasta pillows filled with a pumpkin and ricotta mix, served in a sage cream sauce with roasted butternut squash and pumpkin seeds.

A mix of greens including broccoli, peas, edamame beans and cucumber, served with chickpeas and

Milano salami and Italian coppa served with a wedge of Mrs Kirkham’s Red Lancashire cheese, sourdough & charcoal crackers, sun-dried tomatoes and Rubies in the Rubble West Coast apple chutney.

Afternoon Tea
A classic selection of sandwiches and warm scones served with chuckleberry jam and clotted cream.

Fancy something sweet?
Jammie Dodger Loaf Cake
A red velvet sponge topped with buttercream frosting and a mini Jammie Dodger biscuit.

Clementine Tart V
Rubbish menu.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I was extremely disappointed to hear that, onboard an 11 car service yesterday, only coach K was designated as first class, with 3 coaches designated as standard premium. This is a ludicrously unbalanced divide between classes and, unless their intention is to end first class travel entirely (which may be the case), it’s something they’ll need to consider going forward.

The new menu is also very disappointing, and nothing compared to the pre-pandemic menus, with a good number of hot and cold options, and a full evening meal available.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I was extremely disappointed to hear that, onboard an 11 car service yesterday, only coach K was designated as first class, with 3 coaches designated as standard premium. This is a ludicrously unbalanced divide between classes and, unless their intention is to end first class travel entirely (which may be the case), it’s something they’ll need to consider going forward.

The new menu is also very disappointing, and nothing compared to the pre-pandemic menus, with a good number of hot and cold options, and a full evening meal available.
I think that's the normal procedure at weekends now- only coach K being First Class.
Thank you for posting the new menu.

I agree with others- I suspect Avanti are trying to encourage people to go towards the Standard Premium option, particularly at weekends when only coach K is classed as First Class.

I'd be interested to know how busy First Class is on Super Voyager operated services at weekends. Before Covid I often used the 10:17 or 11:17 Preston to Birmingham (1x221 at the time) on Sundays and First Class used to be 90% people like myself upgrading with Weekend First supplements.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Rest of the day

Afternoon Tea

Fancy something sweet?
Jammie Dodger Loaf Cake

Clementine Tart V
Frankly embarrassing compared to what Virgin used to offer.

Vespa

Established Member
I dropped out of first class to Standard Premium because of the pathetic offerings and very expensive ticket price even with a railcard, difficulty in entering Euston First Class lounge.

Thanks for posting the updates on the new menu, it looks like it's gone even more downhill.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That menu sounds like it was catered more towards people who don’t like eating meat.

How absolutely bland, basic and boring.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That could be the future though...
How very exciting. o_O

I like some bacon in the morning, if they attempt to take it away from me there WILL be problems.

On a side note, it's a shame to see how much Avanti have fallen.

My last first class trip was from Birmingham to London and back. Crews were surely but the southbound crew were able to manage a full breakfast, three drinks runs and preparing the tables for the return in 90 minutes. Superb effort.

OrangeJuice

Rest of the day

Afternoon Tea

Fancy something sweet?
Jammie Dodger Loaf Cake

Clementine Tart V

How often are they changing the menu? Any ideas how long this might last before they change it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.