• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti First Class meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Hi just wondering if anybody knows if First Class at table food service including beer and wine has returned to normal ?

Also is First Class lounges back to normal ?

Thanks

Planning to go to London toward the end of September

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Hi just wondering if anybody knows if First Class at table food service including beer and wine has returned to normal ?

Also is First Class lounges back to normal ?

Thanks

Planning to go to London toward the end of September

It wasn’t last week - it was order at your seat with reduced menu (although beer and wine were available I think) but have a feeling it comes back this week.

Vespa

Established Member
It wasn’t last week - it was order at your seat with reduced menu (although beer and wine were available I think) but have a feeling it comes back this week.
Hopefully, be nice to get back to normal.

PY33

Not back to normal by any means. Travelled today on the 09:27 WBQ - EDI and back on the 18:40 GLC - WBQ. Bacon roll on the morning train and a Chicken wrap on the way back (with no alternative - that’s all they had!). Adequate to stave off the hunger pangs but nothing to write home about.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Not back to normal by any means. Travelled today on the 09:27 WBQ - EDB and back on the 18:40 GLC - WBQ. Bacon roll on the morning train and a Chicken wrap on the way back (with no alternative - that’s all they had!). Adequate to stave off the hunger pangs but nothing to write home about.
Given the rather poor food offer in First Class at the moment in my opinion, I wonder how much cheaper it would have been for you to have travelled in Standard Premium and bought/brought your own food.

PY33

Given the rather poor food offer in First Class at the moment in my opinion, I wonder how much cheaper it would have been for you to have travelled in Standard Premium and bought/brought your own food.
If you use advance tickets then an on-the-day upgrade to Standard Premium is actually not good value. I paid £34.80 for the northbound leg and £28.40 for the southbound (with a senior railcard). Standard class advance tickets with on-train upgrades would have been more expensive.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
If you use advance tickets then an on-the-day upgrade to Standard Premium is actually not good value. I paid £34.80 for the northbound leg and £28.40 for the southbound (with a senior railcard). Standard class advance tickets with on-train upgrades would have been more expensive.
The on train upgrade won't get you access to the first class lounges in normal times, I wonder if the lounges are open in Euston ?

philosopher

Established Member
What are Avanti doing catering wise in first class on weekends at the moment?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
What are Avanti doing catering wise in first class on weekends at the moment?
Looking at their website, it appears to be the same limited menu for both weekdays and weekends.

Breakfast is bacon roll/porridge/vegetable hash.

Rest of the day is bbq chicken wrap/i think there was a vegetarian Indian dish and another one or two food options. Certainly not anything in my opinion to encourage you to upgrade to First Class where Standard Premium is available.

jrh2254

Does anyone know when decent peak mon to friday 1st class cooked breakfast (similar to the old Virgin breakfast) service is to be resumed? I am travelling on the 0708 Lichfield to Euston service 21st September. Thanks.

Trackman

Established Member
Does anyone know when decent peak mon to friday 1st class cooked breakfast (similar to the old Virgin breakfast) service is to be resumed? I am travelling on the 0708 Lichfield to Euston service 21st September. Thanks.
Ah, 'The great British breakfast' billed by VT and Avanti too.
Some of us on here have seen the sample menus which we are not supposed to divulge.
I'm sure black pudding was involved in the new cooked breakfast (yum!).
Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Ah, 'The great British breakfast' billed by VT and Avanti too.
Some of us on here have seen the sample menus which we are not supposed to divulge.
I'm sure black pudding was involved in the new cooked breakfast (yum!).
Suppose we'll have to wait and see.
How about the potato hash (or whatever it was called) That was very nice. Had my last one a few days before the original lockdown on a trip from Glasgow to Carlisle.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
How about the potato hash (or whatever it was called) That was very nice. Had my last one a few days before the original lockdown on a trip from Glasgow to Carlisle.

I hope you don't mean a hash brown (or whatever they're called)? They should never ever darken the doors of a cooked breakfast, or a meal of any description come to that, awful things.

Status
Not open for further replies.