• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Marriage Carriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
Don't think this has been posted before, check out:

All aboard the Marriage Carriage
Win the chance to tie the knot onboard one of our trains this summer, surrounded by your nearest and dearest.​

After a tough 18 months, we’re proud that our trains continue to keep friends and family safely connected across the UK. Now that we can really all get together, what unites family and friends more than anything? A wedding of course!
To celebrate a summer of love, we’re giving couples hoping to get hitched a helping hand by offering the chance to win a free wedding ceremony onboard our Marriage Carriage this August.
Loved-up couples across the UK can enter to be in with a chance of winning a dream day like no other complete with big bouquets, wedding dresses or tails, and a stunning cake to cut into after you say “I do”.
The Marriage Carriage will leave London Euston at 10:59am on Tuesday 10th of August 2021 on a round trip to Birmingham that will see the happy couple arrive back in the capital at 3:18pm as newlyweds. A wedding breakfast and drinks will be provided, and the celebration will be captured on video so that the lucky winners can re-live their special day all over again.

The competition closes at 11:59pm on Sunday 25 July

Tell us why you think you deserve the chance to get married onboard Avanti West Coast’s Marriage Carriage…
After reading the small print I found this:
5.1 The prize is one wedding celebration held onboard an Avanti West Coast train carriage on Tuesday 10th August 2021.

(a) The wining couple recognises that the wedding celebration held on the Avanti West Coast carriage is not legally binding and the couple are responsible for organising their own legal arrangements should they wish to pursue this
A bit misleading to me.
But hey ho, free Avanti 'stunning cake' and champagne I guess for the lucky winners!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It's all very 'Virgin' isn't it. Strikes me as something that would have come out of their PR department with Richard as the best man.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like the idea. In the unlikely event that I were to get married, I'd like to do so on a train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Why? Because it's effectively a sham and non-binding? :lol:

To be honest, if that were the case it would be a bonus :lol:

But doesn't the railway chaplaincy have the authority to conduct weddings on BRB land ?

Gloster

Established Member
It is not an area of great interest to me, but I think it is possible to get temporary permission to carry out a wedding in a location that does not have permanent permission.

I wonder whether the train will be moving or whether it will be stationary in order for the ceremony to take place within a specific governmental or ecclesiastical division. The romance of Camden Carriage Sidings!

If it is moving would the same apply. What if the bride used her prerogative of arriving late, only to be told that she’d missed her chance. Or gabbling the vows in order to finish. Or a dispute between the happy couple as to whether it is worth pulling the communication cord in order to keep the marriage legal.

And will Avanti be presenting them with tickets. How many or how long would the validity of a pass need to be to make the marriage worth it.

Table 52

I’d be more concerned about where they’ll consummate the marriage. Disabled toilet anyone?!

Furrysquid

I’d be more concerned about where they’ll consummate the marriage. Disabled toilet anyone?!
"Newly weds within the carriage
Please don't consummate your marriage,
While the train is standing here at Crewe.
Please restrain your natural function,
'Til we get to Clapham Junction,
Where there's really b****r-all else to do!"

alangla

An aside to this & topical given the Olympics is on: Southeastern have 395 020 & 028 named after Jason & Laura Kenny - has there ever been any other examples of members of the same class being named after a married couple? I’m thinking if there are it’ll probably be members of the royal family.

pdeaves

Established Member
An aside to this & topical given the Olympics is on: Southeastern have 395 020 & 028 named after Jason & Laura Kenny - has there ever been any other examples of members of the same class being named after a married couple? I’m thinking if there are it’ll probably be members of the royal family.
There were two 47s named after Roy and Fiona Castle.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Heh heh heh!

Like it!

Gloster

Established Member
On the major companies there were quite a few royalty including Arthur and Guinevere on both the GWR and SR. There may have been some on the minor lines, but often only identified by first name.

KeithMcC

I immediately thought of that ditty as well. Although I learnt it as Weaver Junction which seems to work better with Crewe!

MotCO

Established Member
I wonder whether the train will be moving or whether it will be stationary in order for the ceremony to take place within a specific governmental or ecclesiastical division. The romance of Camden Carriage Sidings!
It might be more significant if the train was travelling in Scotland or England. If the bride was only 16, wouldn't the marriage have to take place in Scotland unless her parents had given permission? Or is that an urban myth?

Veteran Member
But doesn't the railway chaplaincy have the authority to conduct weddings on BRB land ?
Possibly, but only if they are Authorised Persons under the 1949 Act or its successors. A C of E cleric couldn't, oddly enough, even if they were a railway chaplain as well.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The LMS had a Prncess and Arthur of Connaught - all in one
:)
Princess Arthur of Connaught (1912-1959) was one person. Before marrying Prince Arthur of Connaught she was plain Lady Alexandra Duff. ("Lady" as her father was a Duke). She wouldn't be styled "Princess Alexandra", because she was only a princess by marriage, not by birth. (Hence, e.g "Diana, Princess of Wales", not "Princess Diana")

The Welshpool & Llanfair railway's original locomotives are called the Earl and The Countess, after the 4th Earl of Powys and his wife, who were strong supporters of the construction of the line.

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Possibly, but only if they are Authorised Persons under the 1949 Act or its successors. A C of E cleric couldn't, oddly enough, even if they were a railway chaplain as well.
I think the venue has to be licensed as well.

But, hey ho, Avanti themselves recognise it will not be a legal ceremony. And, as far as I know, there's nothing to stop a couple with their friends buying tickets for any train, taking a bottle of champagne with them, making promises to eachother and having a mate video the occasion! Provided its not in the Quiet Coach, or the train has been suddenly cancelled because of the pingdemic.

ExRes

Established Member
And accessible to the public for the purpose of declaring impediment.

An interesting point, is the Bluebell Railway 'accessible to the public'? assuming they only allow people onto the platform with a ticket would having to purchase one in order to declare an impediment be classified as accessible?

tspaul26

Established Member
An interesting point, is the Bluebell Railway 'accessible to the public'? assuming they only allow people onto the platform with a ticket would having to purchase one in order to declare an impediment be classified as accessible?
Unlikely, and the platform barriers would probably need to be left open in order for the marriage to be licitly contracted.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
On the basis that Captains are often endowed with the right to perform marriage ceremonies, I reckon the DLR have missed a trick somewhere…

PeterY

Established Member
I like the idea. In the unlikely event that I were to get married, I'd like to do so on a train.
If I was stupid enough to actually get married again :'( :'( (done it once) I'd quite like the idea of a train. Perhaps a pacer between Carnforth and Settle :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:Shake rattle 'n' roll.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
It's all very 'Virgin' isn't it. Strikes me as something that would have come out of their PR department with Richard as the best man.

Avanti have very much adopted the Virgin philosophy though, haven’t they? When the execs don’t change, the culture isn’t going to either.

My question is why on earth would you ever want the ceremony of the supposed happiest day of your life performed on a Pendolino or any busy train

Status
Not open for further replies.