• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti on-board services and ambience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iainbhx

Well, I just got a ham and cheese croissant, cereal bar and a yoghurt served in a box very sharpish out of Euston. Don't know about drinks yet.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Since this seems to be the one area already covered by a thread I thought I would start one on the wifi, the shop, entertainment. any noticeable differences? or discuss upcoming new things that are going to be introduced on board the trains in the near future.

Has anyone tried the new entertainment system yet??

I must say the ambiance on the pendolino today is very different compared to riding with virgin any one noticed that?

In terms of general discussion I thought this thread would serve as an area to also discuss parts of avanti that haven’t already got a thread.

For discussions on branding, new trains and apps please use the appropriate pre existing threads.

Last edited:

ag51ruk

Since this seems to be the one area already covered by a thread I thought I would start one on the wifi, the shop, entertainment. any noticeable differences? or discuss upcoming new things that are going to be introduced on board the trains in the near future.

Has anyone tried the new entertainment system yet??

I must say the ambiance on the pendolino today is very different compared to riding with virgin any one noticed that?

If you've travelled on a Pendolino today, did you try the entertainment system?

Given that the trains, timetables and staff are all identical to yesterday, I'm not sure how the "ambience" can be any different?

RealTrains07

Established Member
If you've travelled on a Pendolino today, did you try the entertainment system?

Given that the trains, timetables and staff are all identical to yesterday, I'm not sure how the "ambience" can be any different?
The wifi isnt working on the train iam on at the moment so I was hoping someone who has been on an avanti train today could tell the thread What the avanti media entertainments is like?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Well I think the shop is going...
If that's true, then good riddance. As I have described it on this forum before, it's always understocked and overpriced.

But it seems that it may be staying after all. Hopefully the promised changes to catering provision will rectify these issues.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If that's true, then good riddance. As I have described it on this forum before, it's always understocked and overpriced.

But it seems that it may be staying after all. Hopefully the promised changes to catering provision will rectify these issues.

What would your alternative be?
I have yet to see any catering trolley's that can deliver a beer that isn't lukewarm at best.
Sam

RealTrains07

Established Member
Broken toilets on my train as well as no wifi, great start to avanti

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Presumably you should now be able to get a decent cup of coffee.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Broken toilets on my trains as well as no wifi, great start to avanti
Changes aren't going to happen overnight.
Presumably you should now be able to get a decent cup of coffee.
For now they are staying with the same coffee as under Virgin, which I found to be acceptable although Illy does seem to be going round quite a bit so whether we'll see a switch over to that remains to be seen.
Sam

RealTrains07

Established Member
According to the website, the shop is staying plus it will be refurbished aswell (expected)

py_megapixel

Established Member
I wonder if it will be made smaller to add perhaps 2 or 3 bays more seats? It would make sense, as it doesn't need to be as big as it is, though would involve moving the guard's office.

Is there any reason why the guard's office couldn't be removed, with the guard working from the back cab? FirstGroup have done this with the South Western 442s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why the guard's office couldn't be removed, with the guard working from the back cab? FirstGroup have done this with the South Western 442s.

It hasn't been removed on the 442s, just permanently closed off (and containing the wifi kit, if I recall correctly) due to the droplight issues. It has been actually removed from 350/1s at refurb, though (was never used, with LM guards working from cabs), replaced with a luggage rack, so I doubt it's a complete no-no.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
My 21:00 Euston to Manchester yesterday; the guard still welcomed us on board a Virgin Train! I might have been shattered after a day in Brussels but this didn't evade me :D

py_megapixel

Established Member
Virgin managed to make consistently vile coffee
Perception of coffee is subjective however.
I have never really had a problem with any drinks onboard trains including those run by Virgin. I don't remember if I have specifically tried their coffee, but I have definitely had hot drinks on Virgin which have been decent.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Perception of coffee is subjective however.
I have never really had a problem with any drinks onboard trains including those run by Virgin. I don't remember if I have specifically tried their coffee, but I have definitely had hot drinks on Virgin which have been decent.

Same. It was never outstanding but it was decent enough at 7:15AM when I was bleary eyed and on the way to London! Once so much that I emptied a sugar sachet into the brown paper bag rather than the coffee. Idiot.

NoOnesFool

What would your alternative be?
I have yet to see any catering trolley's that can deliver a beer that isn't lukewarm at best.
Sam
There have been trials which have proved that a thermal bag and ice packs can keep stock at a cold temperature (under 7.9 degrees for a long time).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Travelled with Avanti yesterday and Wednesday. No difference in service so far, though I do like the new First Class branding with the table sets and antimacassars.

Status
Not open for further replies.