• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti service reductions from Monday 26th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

142blue

On Moderation
Quick heads up on service reductions from Monday

4tph until 30 August with reviews

West mids hourly with alternate extension to Blackpool or Edinburgh

Glasgow hourly

Liverpool hourly

Manchester hourly via Stoke

Holyhead to/from Crewe only

Weekends to be confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seagull

Yes, due to resourcing issues caused by the "pingdemic". I deleted the app from my phone so won't be getting any pings here.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Will customers with advances booked already be contacted to amend these I presume?

route101

Established Member
I wonder if we will get Glasgow to Birmingham, or full TPE service to Glasgow back.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I don't want the Glasgow to Birmingham back
Well, nobody is forcing you to travel on them.

Will customers with advances booked already be contacted to amend these I presume?
Generally not no. Normally the customer finds out for themselves, or turns up to find that it is as if their train never existed, and they travel on the next one.

DorkingMain

So

Glasgow hourly

Liverpool hourly

Weekends to be confirmed
If I'm reading correctly, 1tph Manchester via Crewe + 1tph Birmingham via Coventry also remain.

Am I therefore right in thinking the main cuts are the 1tp2h Scotland via West Mids, 1tph Manchester via Stoke + the 1tph Chester south of Crewe?

Peter0124

Established Member
Probably because Blackpool is being spoilt at the moment with tph (more than pre-covid) and they might use the Blackpool services a lot. Due to its proximity to Preston they might aswell extend them all there.

Johnny Lewis

If this information is correct, it's not yet reflected in journey planners or on Avanti's website: there are still 2tph between Manchester and Euston and between the West Midlands and Euston. So is the reduction to 4tph to/from Euston not correct?

142blue

On Moderation
So

If I'm reading correctly, 1tph Manchester via Crewe + 1tph Birmingham via Coventry also remain.

Am I therefore right in thinking the main cuts are the 1tp2h Scotland via West Mids, 1tph Manchester via Stoke + the 1tph Chester south of Crewe?
Manchester trains via Stoke, nothing via Wilmslow except weekends til 14/08

If this information is correct, it's not yet reflected in journey planners or on Avanti's website: there are still 2tph between Manchester and Euston and between the West Midlands and Euston. So is the reduction to 4tph to/from Euston not correct?
It's definitely going to 4 tph

Note there will be some extra Friday off peak services, no info what they are yet

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes, due to resourcing issues caused by the "pingdemic". I deleted the app from my phone so won't be getting any pings here.

Glasgow hourly

Liverpool hourly

Weekends to be confirmed
This suggest 50% of drivers have been pinged or are they covering themselves for next few weeks?

CAF397

I wonder if they can be pinged by a positive passenger behind the cab. (Although if that is a real risk I would hope they turn off the app)
Phones should be off in the driving cab so the contact tracing will not work.

Probably a combination of isolation and annual leave, leaving them short.

Mak1981

I wonder if we will get Glasgow to Birmingham, or full TPE service to Glasgow back.

Tpe are putting on 1 extra service to and from Glasgow from 16 August according to national rail, 13:08 departure from Glasgow Central

May be worth a separate thread

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Why on earth not ? Linking two of Britain's major cities, via an electrified main line, should be an automatic requirement of the WCML operator, which Avanti have shamefully abandoned for well over a year now.
For the lockdown periods, TPE ran Preston-Glasgow to fill some of the Avanti gaps (with Avanti taking the Edinburgh service instead of TPE).
We don't know if TPE are reducing services as well.

In any case, the government is clearly going to alter the ping/isolation rules for key sectors of the economy, with daily testing and return to work if negative.
Things might look different in a week's time.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
For the lockdown periods, TPE ran Preston-Glasgow to fill some of the Avanti gaps (with Avanti taking the Edinburgh service instead of TPE).
We don't know if TPE are reducing services as well.

In any case, the government is clearly going to alter the ping/isolation rules for key sectors of the economy, with daily testing and return to work if negative.
Things might look different in a week's time.
Yeah i can see Avanti reinstating services now they will take easy option unless dept of transport lean on them. If they were still a franchise with a bottom line to worry about they would behave differently.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Service changes like this have to be agreed with the DfT.
There naïve enough to think there saving money by such action.

Theres no way Avanti have lost this many drivers to cull 50% of the service and if they have they will be back within a couple of weeks but now then will be sitting around with no work if this is allowed to carry on unchallenged.

There naïve enough to think there saving money by such action.

Theres no way Avanti have lost this many drivers to cull 50% of the service and if they have they will be back within a couple of weeks but now then will be sitting around with no work if this is allowed to carry on unchallenged.
Last Sunday 25 trains were cancelled due to no driver of train manager. Thats a hell of lot!
Mind you its intersting that its always the Saturday & Sunday services that are hit badly when more people are now travelling.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Theres no way Avanti have lost this many drivers to cull 50% of the service

I’m afraid they have; and it’s not a 50% service cut. They have been running 6tph recently, and that has been a stretch for them.

DfT know it’s not about money. Nobody wants to do this.

Glasgow hourly

Liverpool hourly

Weekends to be confirmed
There are no changes for Monday mentioned on the Avanti web site? and as Bald Rick said, any big changes need to be agree with the DfT.

Dai Corner

Established Member
English schools break up for the Summer this week and go back in the first week of September. Thus traincrew with school age children will be taking leave where allowed and not working rest days.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I’m afraid they have; and it’s not a 50% service cut. They have been running 6tph recently, and that has been a stretch for them.

DfT know it’s not about money. Nobody wants to do this.
Never said it was about the money.

They are taking the easy option to run a minimum service rather than deploy what resources they have available. This is a result of us moving away from a turn up and go service and too much reliance upon advanced bookings to drive revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.