• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Staff Refusing to Endorse Tickets During Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Asking the customer to stand on the platform and speak to the guard before boarding is a bit inappropriate if you've caused the issue. It's quite unprofessional, and if too many people do it, it would slow the guard down or distract them. It's also problematic if the train has guards who aren't easy to locate, or has no guard, or no onboard staff at all.

jfollows

Established Member
Must admit I did rush when I wrote that!

Manchester to Stockport you can get Avanti only fares, Birmingham to Coventry you can get Avanti only fares, was just wondering if there were any other two stations that have specific TOC-only fares?
I bought an Avanti-only day return Wilmslow-Manchester on Tuesday (http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=WML&dest=MAN&expert=on&flow=0&multi=0&fare=0&rte=43&tkt=FDR) and used it on 1H50 07:26 to Manchester (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C72916/2020-01-14/detailed). There was one other person in my carriage.

Josie

Must admit I did rush when I wrote that!

Manchester to Stockport you can get Avanti only fares, Birmingham to Coventry you can get Avanti only fares, was just wondering if there were any other two stations that have specific TOC-only fares?

A long time ago - when I had a lot more free time to sit around on trains and platforms! - I travelled Manchester to Stoke (Virgin Trains Only) and Stoke to London (London Midland Only) a few times. Almost double the end-to-end time of the direct train, but about ⅓ of the fare.

And to come back on topic (ish), I did try to get permission to use a XC train from Stoke to Manchester when Virgin were delayed... but no dice. Which is fair enough really; that's the trade-off for a cheaper ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.