• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti strike timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
On saturday how is Avanti able to run the GLC service until the 1730 EUS-GLC when on the other days the last GLC is 1330 (Mon) & 1207 tomorrow?
Plus there is a PRE-BHI service all day until very late.
They won't be running, just not cancelled off correctly yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
When was the first Manchester to London train on the inter-strike days (22, 24 and 26 June)? Thinking it might be similar on the 28 July.

jfollows

Established Member
When was the first Manchester to London train on the inter-strike days (22, 24 and 26 June)? Thinking it might be similar on the 28 July.
07:35, calling at Stockport, Macclesfield, Stoke-on-Trent, Nuneaton, Watford, arrive Euston 09:51
1657877194901.png

Avanti next week will look like this:

Monday,Tuesday - Met office Red warning so not much will run, and if it does not very fast.
Wednesday - Strike timetable.
Thursday - Late start
Friday - Normal with the usual amount of cancellations.
Saturday - Strike timetable.

Then while the Commonwealth Games are on, to provide Birmingham with 3 trains an hour each day, the Manchester service is reduced to one an hour daily.
I remember a time when both cities had 3 trains an hour.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Avanti next week will look like this:

Monday,Tuesday - Met office Red warning so not much will run, and if it does not very fast.
Wednesday - Strike timetable.
Thursday - Late start
Friday - Normal with the usual amount of cancellations.
Saturday - Strike timetable.

Then while the Commonwealth Games are on, to provide Birmingham with 3 trains an hour each day, the Manchester service is reduced to one an hour daily.
I remember a time when both cities had 3 trains an hour.

Hardly; the strike is the Wednesday after, not next.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hardly; the strike is the Wednesday after, not next.
It's not at all implausible that strike timetables will nevertheless be instituted as a crude way of imposing a reduced service.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
& when was the final Manchester to London train on the actual strike days please? @jfollows thank you for the link you put.

jfollows

Established Member
& when was the final Manchester to London train on the actual strike days please? @jfollows thank you for the link you put.
21 June up timetable attached; 14:47 calling at Crewe (remember, Stockport was closed on strike days, so it may or may not be again depending on who's on strike) and Milton Keynes.
1658138307827.png

Jamesrob637

Established Member
21 June up timetable attached; 14:47 calling at Crewe (remember, Stockport was closed on strike days, so it may or may not be again depending on who's on strike) and Milton Keynes.
View attachment 117854

Thanks: if the 27 July timetable is the same as or similar to the June ones I'll probably take the 09:47 to London.

General Zod

What sort of train frequency are we looking at for Jul 26th on the Euston to Glasgow route . It's a day before the strike and I'm looking to reschedule my journey for an early (0730ish) train up to Glasgow.

jfollows

Established Member
What sort of train frequency are we looking at for Jul 26th on the Euston to Glasgow route . It's a day before the strike and I'm looking to reschedule my journey for an early (0730ish) train up to Glasgow.
In post #11 I summarised the "day before the strike" timetable last time as essentially normal. That's not to say it is bound to be the same this time, of course.

General Zod

Thanks . I assumed that trains may have stopped running earlier than usual and this would result in a vastly different timetable . I would like to get into Glasgow by 1400. The earliest train I'm able to catch is the 0730.
I assume tickets date for 28th Jul will be valid anytime on 26th Jul

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There is now a revised timetable for 20 June at https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/strike; it looks like a nearly normal timetable with changes made for things like Stockport being closed at midnight, so the 22:00 Euston-Piccadilly has to use the Styal line. However, this was a planned engineering diversion in the absence of a strike anyway.

Good question there: will SPT be open on the 27th? If not, I'll have to travel into Manchester by bus and pick up one of the trains. If yes, my fiancée could drop me in on her/our lunch.

jfollows

Established Member
In post #11 I summarised the "day before the strike" timetable last time as essentially normal. That's not to say it is bound to be the same this time, of course.
25/26 July timetable now at View and Download Here .
Last down Glasgow train 19:30 from London Euston
09:30 Euston-Glasgow arrives 14:02
Last down Manchester train 22:00 from London Euston
27 July timetable at View and Download Here
Trains not serving Stockport or Wilmslow, as before.
28 July timetable at View and Download Here
29 July timetable at View and Download Here

27 July: 14:47 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston 17:11 calling at Crewe, Stafford & Milton Keynes Central.

I assume tickets date for 28th Jul will be valid anytime on 26th Jul
https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/strike: "Any customers with existing tickets for travel from 26 to 28 July can use those tickets anytime between now and 29 July."

Good question there: will SPT be open on the 27th? If not, I'll have to travel into Manchester by bus and pick up one of the trains. If yes, my fiancée could drop me in on her/our lunch.
Stockport will not be open, as before.

As before, 28 July first up service from Manchester will be 07:35 to Euston 09:51, calling at Stockport, Macclesfield, Stoke-on-Trent, Nuneaton & Watford Junction.

Last edited:

joke2711

Hi Everyone ..

Does anybody have a rough idea of what services will be running London - Wigan on Tuesday 13th December?
Want to make sure I can get back from a meeting before I confirm and book a Hotel. Travel to London will be on Monday 12th so unaffected.

Thanks for any replies/guidance

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi Everyone ..

Does anybody have a rough idea of what services will be running London - Wigan on Tuesday 13th December?
Want to make sure I can get back from a meeting before I confirm and book a Hotel. Travel to London will be on Monday 12th so unaffected.

You can see the list of departures from Wigan on the last weekday strike date here.

In short, 8 services from Euston, the earliest departing at 08:30 and the last departing at 14:30.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hi Everyone ..

Or travel back Wednesday when more trains will run, if budgets allow for another night in a London hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.