• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti website incorrectly applying Family & Friends Railcard restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Trying to book tickets to Glasgow over Christmas (which is proving a right pain in the bum), found that the Avanti website is not applying FAM discount correctly. I assume it’s taking the bar on peak journeys wholly within the Network Area and applying it to the start point only.

Journey is dep Reading 0820 to Paddington (0845) then 0910 from Euston, ticket type SVR +Any Permitted. Discount is applied on later trains (after 0930 approx, not played with it that much). It also bars it on the 0816 departure via Banbury, for which the first leg is Reading-Birmingham Intl.

I’ve raised this with Avanti via facebook (ugh). In the meantime a trip to the station for me as I’ve not found another website that will let me make reservations on the trains I want - or even get as far as acknowledging these trains exist.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
By my reckoning, an 0845 arrival into Paddington wouldn't give a valid connection into the 0910 from Euston. Minimum connection time is 43 minutes (13 minutes for the transfer plus 15 minutes interchange time at both Paddington and Euston).

WebTIS will only offer the 0910 departure as a connection from the 0756 from Reading (due Paddington 0822), and correctly shows the Railcard discount for that connection.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
By my reckoning, an 0845 arrival into Paddington wouldn't give a valid connection into the 0910 from Euston. Minimum connection time is 43 minutes (13 minutes for the transfer plus 15 minutes interchange time at both Paddington and Euston).

WebTIS will only offer the 0910 departure as a connection from the 0756 from Reading (due Paddington 0822), and correctly shows the Railcard discount for that connection.

Sorry, it’s 0930 from Euston - so 45 minutes connection. Still a bit tight for my liking, with kids in tow and a flight to get from Glasgow, and I’ll aim for an earlier departure on the day.

alistairlees

Established Member
Trying to book tickets to Glasgow over Christmas (which is proving a right pain in the bum), found that the Avanti website is not applying FAM discount correctly. I assume it’s taking the bar on peak journeys wholly within the Network Area and applying it to the start point only.

Journey is dep Reading 0820 to Paddington (0845) then 0910 from Euston, ticket type SVR +Any Permitted. Discount is applied on later trains (after 0930 approx, not played with it that much). It also bars it on the 0816 departure via Banbury, for which the first leg is Reading-Birmingham Intl.

I’ve raised this with Avanti via facebook (ugh). In the meantime a trip to the station for me as I’ve not found another website that will let me make reservations on the trains I want - or even get as far as acknowledging these trains exist.
What date are you ravelling out? What date are you travelling back? Exactly how many passengers? It will be easier to see exactly what it's doing wrong then

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I looked at Trainsplit, choosing the dates randomly, and was offered Off Peak Returns with a Family & Friends discount with an outward itinerary of the 0820 from Paddington and 0930 from Euston.

Which websites did you try?

For a journey like this, I'd book on Trainsplit if you want to be able to book the seats of your choice on all services; this is especially true if coming back via Banbury.

I also concur with @alistairlees that more detail is required if anyone is to diagnose this issue.

Sorry, it’s 0930 from Euston - so 45 minutes connection. Still a bit tight for my liking, with kids in tow and a flight to get from Glasgow, and I’ll aim for an earlier departure on the day.
In that case, I'd specify additional interchange time, so you can get the itinerary you want, and be able to select seats of your choice on earlier train from Paddington.

This will increase your chances of making the connection (while reducing the chances of qualifying for Delay Repay of course)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I looked at Trainsplit, choosing the dates randomly, and was offered Off Peak Returns with a Family & Friends discount with an outward itinerary of the 0820 from Paddington and 0930 from Euston.

Which websites did you try?

For a journey like this, I'd book on Trainsplit if you want to be able to book the seats of your choice on all services; this is especially true if coming back via Banbury.

Out on Dec 23rd 0930 from Euston, returning Dec 27th after 1600 (probably the 1734).

Tried so far:
Avanti - shows trains as bookable but no discount,
Chiltern - fails to plan journey
GWR - shows trains and allows booking but no reservations on Euston-Glasgow either way
Scotrail - shows trains, reservations only on outbound, doesn’t allow to proceed without reservation
Raileasy - shows trains, offers reservations but no indication whether these have actually been made
Trainsplit - shows trains and allows booking but no reservations on Euston-Glasgow either way

Apparently West Coast advances for this period are available from the 1st so maybe reservations not open yet? Will see if I have better luck at the station :/

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking at the NRE Booking Horizons page, Avanti only have reservations open to 20th December at present, though GWR are open to 19th February (3rd January for weekend services). Not sure why the Chiltern booking engine is failing though.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That’ll be it then. Clearly out of practise with this, and all the covid stuff is making it a bit more complex (normally I’d not be so fussed about reservations but don’t want to end up stranded with expensive tickets I can’t use).

Ticket office staff told me they couldn’t issue reservations for the WCML leg as “it’s a stopping service, not a high speed one” *points finger at number of calls* :rolleyes:

On the railcard matter, I’ve been told that the retail manager has looked into it and passed it onto the website team so hopefully that means they agree it’s an error.

janb

Out on Dec 23rd 0930 from Euston, returning Dec 27th after 1600 (probably the 1734).

Tried so far:
Avanti - shows trains as bookable but no discount,
Chiltern - fails to plan journey
GWR - shows trains and allows booking but no reservations on Euston-Glasgow either way
Scotrail - shows trains, reservations only on outbound, doesn’t allow to proceed without reservation
Raileasy - shows trains, offers reservations but no indication whether these have actually been made
Trainsplit - shows trains and allows booking but no reservations on Euston-Glasgow either way

Apparently West Coast advances for this period are available from the 1st so maybe reservations not open yet? Will see if I have better luck at the station :/
Yes, trains not open for reservation, info available on,
and

Currently scheduled as per 2nd page that 23rd will open for reservation on 1st December, and 27th on 14th December.

Just to update on Monday 30th, Avanti have now opened pre and post Christmas services for reservation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.