• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast FC Experience 19/03/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
So I had my first Avanti FC experience yesterday - Thursday 19th March so here’s my take on it

Boarded the 0815am Preston - Glasgow service ( 0531 ex Euston ) it was Pendino 390 002 the carriage is no different to the VTWC days

Soon as we left Preston we were offfered juice and tea/coffee followed by cutlery breakfast orders I opted for full breakfast the service was by a really friendly crew and one beautiful stunning young hostess caught my eye but that’s another story , anyway breakfast was served but no toast we wasn’t asked or offered any the breakfast itself was clean as a whistle and a nice runny egg probably the best VTWC breakfast I’ve had further tea coffee runs after oxenholme and carlisle I would give them 9/10 had I gotten toast it would be 10/10

The return journey was the 1840 departure from Glasgow to Euston I was travelling as far as Preston this was 390127 , alcoholic drinks / juice etc followed by food orders and cutlery upon departure from Glasgow I opted for the salt beef pie ,with a side of piccalilli now I am not a fan of piccalli by any means, anyway another friendly crew was working this service the pie arrived it was a full large one probably the size of 2 Holland’s potato pies combined and it wasn’t salty at all it was perfect and very tasty and I found myself delving into the piccalilli and it complemented it well this was washed down with Caple cider from the trolley followed by warm chocolate sponge with sticky toffee sauce now I would prefer it the other way round as the toffee sauce was overpowering the taste of the chocolate sponge it was nice though but the portion left a lot to be desired but was given a few uglies ( I have a sweet tooth and really like them )

Further alcoholic / juice run after Carlisle and Oxenholme a 10/10 for this train crew great service and nothing was missing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Think that may have been the last day of full catering on Avanti! Glad you had a positive experience though.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
They've looked after me really well this past week while I've been attempting to do my 1st class ALR. Plenty of decent food while other TOCs have suspended everything. Really pleased with them especially after some of their 'iffy' reviews.

dave87016

Established Member
They've looked after me really well this past week while I've been attempting to do my 1st class ALR. Plenty of decent food while other TOCs have suspended everything. Really pleased with them especially after some of their 'iffy' reviews.

Did you try the salt beef pie mate ?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Did you try the salt beef pie mate ?
I’ve had it and would say it is the best meal Avanti have ever served me. I usually go for the fish dishes or curries when they do them, and I like the chilli chocolate chicken, but the pie was really good and a generous size. The Toffee sponge is good but the chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce that they do on the alternative week is fantastic.

VT 390

Established Member
I didnt. I had the 'chilli non carne' on a Voyager but was very tempted by the pie. Maybe next time!
I would also recommend the pie, I had it the other week and it was really good.

dave87016

Established Member
I’ve had it and would say it is the best meal Avanti have ever served me. I usually go for the fish dishes or curries when they do them, and I like the chilli chocolate chicken, but the pie was really good and a generous size. The Toffee sponge is good but the chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce that they do on the alternative week is fantastic.

Yes it’s a fantastic size that salt beef pie whenever I’ve had chilli or curries on West Coast the portions are usually tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.