• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast New Stock - Hitachi chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Wow, that was surprisingly quick - less than a year since the ink on the contract even dried!
Has it been confirmed whether these are standard AT300 frames or the shorter Mk2s like EMR are using? If it’s the first, there’s a good chance the production line probably just continued on after the previous orders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
Why have Avanti ordered 10 more EMUs? With HS2, the plan is to reduce frequency of legacy IC services, not increase it, going by the proposition posted earlier in one of the HS2 threads.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Why have Avanti ordered 10 more EMUs? With HS2, the plan is to reduce frequency of legacy IC services, not increase it, going by the proposition posted earlier in one of the HS2 threads.
It's a good question, and one whoever is owning the stock will no doubt have considered carefully. But it will be 8 years before HS2 is up and running, and even then only to OOC for a couple of years. I'm sure we don't want to wait 10 years for any additional stock on the route.

One HS2 is up and running the 390s will be nearly 30 years old, and probably up for retirement as they are replaced by HS2 stock, whereas relatively new EMUs will probably easily find an alternative use.

samuelmorris

Established Member
HS2 still has a large amount of opposition to being completed at all and is also at not insubstantial risk of further delay - it's entirely possible that the full pattern of HS2 that allows intercity services along the legacy WCML to be reduced may not come into effect until 2040. Certainly Avanti's current franchise agreement does not reach the Phase 2 opening date even if it's on time. There should be use for the units for the full duration of the franchise and most likely even if it's extended. Let's not think about the possibility of it going OLR before then :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Because HS2 is years off, and (at least pre COVID) improvements were needed now, requiring more units. It's also to stop operating diesels under the wires which is absolutely a good reason to invest.

One HS2 is up and running the 390s will be nearly 30 years old, and probably up for retirement as they are replaced by HS2 stock, whereas relatively new EMUs will probably easily find an alternative use.

Particularly as they're 80x so would fit straight in at any of the existing 80x operators. If you're going to question an EMU order, the one to question is TPE's CAF microfleet.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Because HS2 is years off, and (at least pre COVID) improvements were needed now, requiring more units. It's also to stop operating diesels under the wires which is absolutely a good reason to invest.
I understand that, but isn't that what the 13 class 807 bi modes are for? Even if demand does rise in the next 8 years, there are no paths south of Rugby and very few if any northwards to use the 10 class 807s on.

mmh

Established Member
I understand that, but isn't that what the 13 class 807 bi modes are for? Even if demand does rise in the next 8 years, there are no paths south of Rugby and very few if any northwards to use the 10 class 807s on.

It's said that the 80x EMUs will run London to Liverpool, freeing 390s to replace Voyagers on Scotland services, meaning the bi-modes can sensibly be dedicated to non electrified routes.

popeter45

It's said that the 80x EMUs will run London to Liverpool, freeing 390s to replace Voyagers on Scotland services, meaning the bi-modes can sensibly be dedicated to non electrified routes.
yea to me the 80x#'s feel more a Voyager replacement program instead of a Pendolino replacement

so prob will be as followed

class 390's to Edinburgh and Glasgow with eventual replacement with HS2 rolling stock
class 807's to Liverpool,Manchester,Birmingham,Blackpool and other midland /north west electrified routes to replace class 221's
class 805's to Chester,Holyhead,Wrexham,Shresbury and other unelectrified routes again replacing 221's

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The bi-modes are for North Wales (though as per the Voyagers I suspect they'll see use elsewhere, I think I heard mention of quieter Birmingham services, with 390s doing all Scottish runs). The EMUs are for a second TPH to Liverpool calling at South Parkway (hence 7 car). The paths do exist.

The 80x will not operate to Manchester.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
23xAT300s replace 21 Voyagers.
Not a great increase (though capacity will be increased).
There is some sort of additional Liverpool service calling at Parkway to cover, and extensions in North Wales.

gka472l

The 807's on the Liverpool is to allow the Liverpool's to go to 2 an hour, 390's will also work to Liverpool as now....

Chester1

Established Member
The 807's on the Liverpool is to allow the Liverpool's to go to 2 an hour, 390's will also work to Liverpool as now....

Does that mean some 807s will run on London-Birmingam-Scotland services replacing Voyagers?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh good, less chance of having to ride on one.

They'll have different seats from the usual (and the same seats will be in the Pendolinos) so I'm not sure what there is to choose between them. If anything the 80x would have an edge for me due to larger windows.

On Moderation
Does that mean some 807s will run on London-Birmingam-Scotland services replacing Voyagers?
I don't think that is the plan. All Anglo-Scots go over to 390s, with 807s only being used south of Preston (Blackpool?) to free up 390s to remove existing Voyager diagrams to Scotland.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I don't think there is the intention of 80x going to Scotland, though I recall the intention was to use 5-car sets (which have far more capacity than a 5-car Voyager due to longer vehicles and a more efficient layout) on quiet Euston-Brum turns.

Nym

Established Member
They'll have different seats from the usual (and the same seats will be in the Pendolinos) so I'm not sure what there is to choose between them. If anything the 80x would have an edge for me due to larger windows.
Depends on if they sod up the lighting on the Class 390s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think there is the intention of 80x going to Scotland, though I recall the intention was to use 5-car sets (which have far more capacity than a 5-car Voyager due to longer vehicles and a more efficient layout) on quiet Euston-Brum turns.
There’s definitely a track access application (Linked somewhere in one of the many earlier threads about Avanti) that states unambiguously that the AT300s will not operate north of Liverpool.

{I’ll see if I can find it...}

mmh

Established Member

Anything going to Shrewsbury will obviously need to be a bi-mode.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The bi-modes are for North Wales (though as per the Voyagers I suspect they'll see use elsewhere, I think I heard mention of quieter Birmingham services, with 390s doing all Scottish runs). The EMUs are for a second TPH to Liverpool calling at South Parkway (hence 7 car). The paths do exist.

I am not sure that Liverpool South Parkway has anything to do with it? The platforms are only about 130 metres long. Even a 7 car Pendolino would be too long.

Slightly shorter trains for Liverpool services are useful for commercial reasons of course.

mmh

Established Member
I am not sure that Liverpool South Parkway has anything to do with it? The platforms are only about 130 metres long. Even a 7 car Pendolino would be too long.

They have SDO.

Domh245

Established Member
There’s definitely a track access application (Linked somewhere in one of the many earlier threads about Avanti) that states unambiguously that the AT300s will not operate north of Liverpool.

{I’ll see if I can find it...}

There's a map appeared on the RockRail website for these that suggests they'll make it as far as Blackpool/Lancaster on 'peak' services

py_megapixel

Established Member
Oh good, less chance of having to ride on one.
I think I'd actually choose one of these over a Pendolino. After all, they'll have the same seats and I don't like the Pendolinos; they're dark, the windows are very small, and they aren't the nicest ride in my opinion. In contrast the 80x also have a poor ride (but I am willing to put some of that down to the lack of padding in the seats) but are bright and have massive windows.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's a map appeared on the RockRail website for these that suggests they'll make it as far as Blackpool/Lancaster on 'peak' services
I’ve also found “no further than Preston” and “all Euston - Birmingham - Glasgow services will be 390S”, but no luck on a TAA yet. I’m definitely getting a feeling of deja vu regarding this subject though...

The Chimaera

I’ve also found “no further than Preston” and “all Euston - Birmingham - Glasgow services will be 390S”, but no luck on a TAA yet. I’m definitely getting a feeling of deja vu regarding this subject though...
This would seem to suggest that there will be no more capability to divert via the Glasgow SW route if required then, not even for planned engineering closures.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Why does Avanti want to eviscerate the Pendolino by removing the seats to replace them with ironing boards? Those will be the last comfortable IC seats left. Why not take advantage of having trains that were built before ridiculous PRM compliance that demands an overly uncomfortable seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.