• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Just noticed today Stoke-On-Trent has now got Avanti platform signs. Couldn't get a photo as passing through. Different style to Crewe as they're mainly dark blue allover.
I was at SOT on the day the signs were replaced

Attachments

• CF3A8D8E-0F07-4AE4-B8FA-0ED5BA774C45.jpeg
    CF3A8D8E-0F07-4AE4-B8FA-0ED5BA774C45.jpeg
    916.2 KB · Views: 228
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Shame they didn't do a deep clean on taking over the franchise, my 221 toilet was "minging" today but at least "cheery girl" has gone!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I agree that in 2020, we need to be modern and practical with our work place appearances.

A pair of black combat trousers with a pressed seam and comfortable fit down the leg can still look smart. I am an ex-cop and I hated combats when they were first introduced but I slowly came round to the idea of wearing them. However, I never liked the black cycling tops - a traditional white shirt and tie represents the imagine of a professional police officer and I just think the police uniform is not the same without it. It still appalls me that I see PCSOs walking about with their jackets wide open, carrying their hats in public.

Train staff should be just as professional in their appearance as they represent a service and organisation. I just think that Northern's uniform doesn't look that great - while other TOCs seem to be well turned out with nice shirts and jackets.

CJ

Some of the Avanti staff are the exact same.

Most of their uniform is very well kept, but some staff let the side down by having their shirts untucked, really creased and just all around scruffy. Same goes for ScotRail

CrispyUK

Coventry Avanti Signs
These are the only ones I’ve seen so far with no ‘uncovered’ orange showing through at all, the triangle section being completely behind the community circle. Which I still don’t quite understand! It’s a nice idea but I’d love to see something that shows how it actually works/is determined for each station.

Has a programme of station repainting been decided upon yet? Turquoise and orange lamposts I imagine it will be....

CRUK91

Obviously we are aware that there are 2(?) rebranded Avanti trains, are they only running certain routes?

I say that because I work by Warrington Bank Quay station and can look out over the WCML from my office, and since 09/12, I haven’t seen one of the rebranded trains go by.

Mathew S

Established Member
Obviously we are aware that there are 2(?) rebranded Avanti trains, are they only running certain routes?

There are three, two 390s and a 221, though the 221 has only had partial branding.

I don't think I've seen the 221 since it was rebranded, but the 390s I've seen on all the usual routes, so don't imagine there's any restrictions on them. It is only 2 out of 56 390s, though, so patience is required to see them.

IamTrainsYT

There are three, two 390s and a 221, though the 221 has only had partial branding.

I don't think I've seen the 221 since it was rebranded, but the 390s I've seen on all the usual routes, so don't imagine there's any restrictions on them. It is only 2 out of 56 390s, though, so patience is required to see them.
The 221 dosent really count as rebranded, it only has avanti logos.

Trackman

Established Member
Has a programme of station repainting been decided upon yet? Turquoise and orange lamposts I imagine it will be....
I dread to think, the station will be as dreary as the trains themselves.
As for the platform signs why don't they put Avanti west coast on them as in brand launch mock up pics?

Mathew S

Established Member
I dread to think, the station will be as dreary as the trains themselves.
There's lots of words I'd use to describe the new Avanti livery, but certainly not dreary. Over-excited springs to mind, or bright & vibrant if I'm feeling more generous. But dreary? The brand is dreary as a whole, I'll grant you, taking away the Virgin style and panache was always going to feel that way, but I'm not sure it's a label that can be applied to the trains.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Whizzed through Macclesfield today and noticed it's been rebranded - or is this old news?

The different station signage backgrounds seem to be a segment of an overall design, but is that complete overall design used anywhere? For instance, comparing the 1st class place mat design to a station sign, on each there are parts that don't appear on the other whereas you might logically expect the placemat to have the whole design -bit hard to express in words, but I'm trying to visualise the different elements placed on top of each other where they coincide to eventually build up the complete design but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone worked out the key?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Whizzed through Macclesfield today and noticed it's been rebranded - or is this old news?
I posted a photo in the sixth post of this thread, on the day of the franchise launch. :p
The different station signage backgrounds seem to be a segment of an overall design, but is that complete overall design used anywhere? For instance, comparing the 1st class place mat design to a station sign, on each there are parts that don't appear on the other whereas you might logically expect the placemat to have the whole design -bit hard to express in words, but I'm trying to visualise the different elements placed on top of each other where they coincide to eventually build up the complete design but it doesn't seem to work. Has anyone worked out the key?
I've tried sketching out where the different station nameboard designs appear on their relevant side of the triangle logo, and having done so I'm even more flummoxed as to what they're supposed to indicate than I was before.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think the whole design idea is reminiscent of the designs on new coins, especially the 5p, where several (or many?) coins are needed to create the overall design.

On Moderation
I can see that. It works quite well actually. Considering
It’s a sign. A sign that needs to be read easily. This is just the latest example of designers being given too much freedom to do as they want with sticky-back plastic.

Can we not just go back to black Rail Alphabet lettering on a white background?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
It’s a sign. A sign that needs to be read easily. This is just the latest example of designers being given too much freedom to do as they want with sticky-back plastic.

Hear, hear.

At least the London Underground knows how to do it.

Trainfan2019

I agree there. The new Avanti station signs don't really look all that great. Then there's the confusing theory behind the different colour segments on the signs. I've only just seen an Avanti rebranded class 390 earlier this week and wasn't keen on the new livery.

Travelling from or through some of the now Avanti stations they still feel like Virgin to me with the same red painted sections but a few small station name signs changed.

mde

Funnily enough, Sir Peter Hendy has been dropping hints about that… presumably for NR stations, but, it'd be interesting to see a new standard being deployed given the previous attempt wasn't universally adopted.

Sir Peter Hendy CBE said:
Replying to @RAIL
Watch this space - for the rail alphabet brought up to date and black on white signs..........
https://mobile.twitter.com/SirPeterHendy/status/1222208312965582849

palmersears

Established Member
Not sure if this has ready been noted, but Stockport has now acquired the new signs.

CRUK91

I say that because I work by Warrington Bank Quay station and can look out over the WCML from my office, and since 09/12, I haven’t seen one of the rebranded trains go by.

Just further to this, one of the Avanti liveried trains (didn’t catch the number) went southbound out of WBQ just before 8:30 today. First one I’ve seen since launch day.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Their first class is inconsistent, and their maintenance of the first carriages is not to the level of Virgin. The napkins on the back of the seats have been removed and only a few have been replaced with Avanti branding, which looks rather sloppy, though the staff and restaurant service/trolley still provides the best first class offering, second only to ex-
LNER and Pullman Dining on GWR.

To encourage upgrades they should be making more of an effort, unless an upgrade is good value on Seatfrog with proper catering and I’m on a crushloaded service I have no reason to want to upgrade to first.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The whole thing is just mediocre. Average. No sparkle. It'll do. Whatever. Crikey, LM had more sparkle.

I'd say "typical FirstGroup" but GWR is much, much, much better.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I'll be testing First on the last Euston train to Liverpool a week on Friday.

Having only done it once previously with Virgin (last October), it doesn't have much competition on this particular departure (the morning Liverpool - Euston leg was much better organised).

skifans

Another item that has escaped - some of the information displays at Lancaster where displaying "not in service" with a link to the virgin trains website.

Attachments

• DSC_0188.JPG
    DSC_0188.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 147

Carlisle

Established Member
Another item that has escaped - some of the information displays at Lancaster where displaying "not in service" with a link to the virgin trains website.
My app still shows Avanti services as operated by Virgin Trains.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I noticed a niche element of the rebranding; in some of the 390 toilets there is a large picture printed on the wall panel of a red Virgin Balloon drifting over some savannah somewhere. This has been covered with a balloon shaped sticker, in exactly the same shape and colour, but without the Virgin brand. It even includes the balloon’s reg.!

Somebody had to get those ordered...

Clip

Established Member
Travelling from or through some of the now Avanti stations they still feel like Virgin to me with the same red painted sections but a few small station name signs changed.

You surely were not expecting all stations to be fully repainted within a couple of months of the franchise starting?

Status
Not open for further replies.