• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Typical crap workmanship on the last image on post #29. Why put a pop-rivet through a clear part of the sign when you can obscure half the AVANTI logo!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tonyboy2

Nice boring colours on West coast trains now. Wonder if they will do any Christmas branding specials. Will miss Virgin trains at Glasgow Central

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's rather impressive how quickly Virgin branding is being removed. I assume we can expect to start seeing the livery applied to Pendolinos soon, although I doubt Voyagers will ever get it.

This is in stark contrast to Serco-Abellio Northern, East Midlands Trains, Arriva Wales etc. who's signage and livery can still be seen across their respective networks, in some cases over a year after their obsoletion!

py_megapixel

Established Member
If the example of "removing" as my post above is anything to go by, there might be insufficient platform clearance after another couple of rebrands.

What - riveting a new sign straight onto the old one? That looks a lot like the workers were simply in a rush, given that no consideration has been given to not obscuring the text!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
What - riveting a new sign straight onto the old one? That looks a lot like the workers were simply in a rush, given that no consideration has been given to not obscuring the text!

Yes, if the franchise changes hands a couple of more times and they all apply the same standard of workmanship, that sign will be 12" deep. It might even pull the lamppost over? ;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Typical crap workmanship on the last image on post # 29. Why put a pop-rivet through a clear part of the sign when you can obscure half the AVANTI logo!

Exaggerate much?!

Remember when LO took over stations and put up temporary signs and vinyls? This may be like that.

Admittedly TfL made a point of saying 'temporary sign' underneath, but that seemed rather unnecessary as I doubt most people are that bothered or can't recognise the new logo because of some rivets?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Exaggerate much?!

Remember when LO took over stations and put up temporary signs and vinyls? This may be like that.

Admittedly TfL made a point of saying 'temporary sign' underneath, but that seemed rather unnecessary as I doubt most people are that bothered or can't recognise the new logo because of some rivets?

Remind me never to ask for your recommendations for a joiner / decorator / builder. :)

It never ceases to amaze me how some folk put-up with terrible workmanship.

tsr

Established Member

This may have been a blanket measure if there were some such signs which were placed on listed buildings or in conservation areas. I seem to recall that if there are conditions on the signage placed on buildings (as there are in many areas), you must clearly state that any non-compliant signs are temporary, so as to be clear about whether you intend to change the character of the area. It’s a fairly small thing, but something which an organisation with a large portfolio of stations would be aware of.

urbophile

Established Member
I actually like the design of the name boards. But I don't like the principle. It would be much better if all stations (even if owned/run by particular TOCs) had a standard form of signage recognisable all over the country. Especially as in the case of Avanti West Coast's network few stations are served by them alone.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me how some folk put-up with terrible workmanship.
I remember accidentally breaking a wrongly installed plastic curtain track several years ago. (I'm no expert, but I don't think these things are meant to break if the curtain gets stuck and someone simply pulls it slightly too hard to free it). A few months later it came down again when someone else tried to open the curtains. It seems that no attempt was made to fix the underlying issue; they just glued it back together and mounted it back to the wall in the same, wrong, way.

RealTrains07

Established Member
I actually like the design of the name boards. But I don't like the principle. It would be much better if all stations (even if owned/run by particular TOCs) had a standard form of signage recognisable all over the country. Especially as in the case of Avanti West Coast's network few stations are served by them alone.
They will probably get a standard sign once the new signs are produced and replace the virgin vinyl ones

Energy

Established Member
upload_2019-12-8_17-7-10.png
On the twitter side of things (not sure if this is the right forum but its close enough), the official twitter doesn't seem to come up, instead these 2.

For those who can't see the images they are both parody accounts.

Last edited:

neontrix

https://twitter.com/AvantiWestCoast/status/1203703230947037184
Avanti have revealed a bit more of the livery, they have decided to put the A with a triangle on the outside of atleast one of the coaches, how many people will think it is carriage A...

I think even the British travelling public can probably discern that coach A would a coach at one end of the train rather than the centre. And that the logo belongs to the TOC, and is not informational signage since it’s rather below eye level.

Energy

Established Member
I think even the British travelling public can probably discern that coach A would a coach at one end of the train rather than the centre. And that the logo belongs to the TOC, and is not informational signage since it’s rather below eye level.
Some people just treat it as a train, whether it is an Avanti, TPE or whatever. For them a massive A could be coach A, you just hope most realise it is at the end of the train.

jon0844

Veteran Member

I think they can, but I think the A on its own looks silly. Subjective I know.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Exaggerate much?!

I seem to recall, but may be wrong, that the common "temporary sign" annotation on signage relates to planning permission, though probably not in TfL's case.

py_megapixel

Established Member
What was common was people thinking First(f) denoted First Class.

This must have been worsened with the last HST formations where some carriages were branded as "Great Western Railway" and some as "First Great Western." One would be forgiven for the assumption that "First Great Western" was GWR's branding for their first class product.

I can understand why confusion might arise, yes.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If they put as much effort into it being a reliable and non to expensive service for PASSENGERS, (I detest the word "customer"), it'll be ok for me.

RealTrains07

Established Member
New entertainment page: avantimedia.uk

Attachments

• AB89A0B0-0196-4672-81A8-EFBDF739BB3B.png
    AB89A0B0-0196-4672-81A8-EFBDF739BB3B.png
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 281
  • BE87B6B1-D276-4FB5-9890-408234059B3D.png
    BE87B6B1-D276-4FB5-9890-408234059B3D.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 271
Status
Not open for further replies.