• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rjennings

Good to see Virgin Trains still exists on the fares system ... Ironically when printed the ticket showed as routing ‘Avanti’ ...

Otherwise livery to me looks a little dull frankly - looks too over designed and bar the cab ends just looks a mess of colour as you go along (much like LNWRs 350/3s). Something to be said about a basic livery with minimal but quality branding even if this is generally white.

Attachments

• AD4B1D9B-4685-4013-8C10-929D8B396DDD.jpeg
    AD4B1D9B-4685-4013-8C10-929D8B396DDD.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 245

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The yellow stripe to denote 1st (and red for buffet) is a UIC (=union of international railways, in French) requirement. Presumably, Virgin, Govia etc. didn't join the UIC (prob. cost money) but the TOCs owned at least partly by the state railways of mainland Europe always seem to use the yellow stripe eg it's adoption by LNwR (Abellio = NS) when LM didn't use it; XC (DB); and now Avanti (FS). It's a pity that modern train design generally has very angled cantrails so the band is hard to see against reflections.
It took me a while to realise how VTEC indicated 1st, but it was probably a better way. Stagecoach EM used dots instead of a band, of course, which is just perverse, IMO.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, between the front cab window and the cant rail stripe is a yellow strip. Hard to tell, but look closely at the last image on post 108.

No, there isn't:
0_DQP_BEM_091219TRAIN__16JPG.jpg

Side view of Class 390 end coach in Avanti livery

TRAX

Established Member
Oh, so you do mean this one. A bit tough for a passenger to spot don't you think?
I think anything is possible now we know passengers can mistake an A on a logo near solebar level with a coach designation.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I think anything is possible now we know passengers can mistake an A on a logo near solebar level with a coach designation.

Why do you assume everyone is as "switched-on" about railway culture as yourself?

I can't see any reason why "marketing" people think it's OK to brand stuff and cause confusion. I guess it's because ultimately they are as "stupid" as the passengers who cannot always understand signage?

TRAX

Established Member
I can't see any reason why "marketing" people think it's OK to brand stuff and cause confusion.

So the first time you saw an Apple Store with the logo on it you thought it was a fruit store ?

Steddenm

I think that @andyj158 means the yellow strip above the driver's window. As with the Voyagers on their coupling it denotes first class is that end. The other end doesn't have one. Not sure if other units have this though.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
With the number of posters all answering the same question without seemingly reading the most recent posts, I rest my case.

tpjm

No, there's no VTWC branding left, and there's Avanti posters and I think an Avanti CCTV sign. The staff also all have Avanti uniforms. There are some things which I think will be Avanti branded which are not branded at all at present (e.g. station signs on the platforms).
There’s even an Avanti dog bowl.

Ladder23

Established Member
nice to see the livery - what will happen to the voyagers I wonder

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And people said Virgin overbranded.

They didn't. The Virgin logo was quite understated, really.

Avanti have the same branding more than once on each coach, which definitely is overbranded and looks really tacky. Typical First, with the (f) everywhere, really, similar to SWR - is it the same design house?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They didn't. The Virgin logo was quite understated, really.

Avanti have the same branding more than once on each coach, which definitely is overbranded and looks really tacky. Typical First, with the (f) everywhere, really, similar to SWR - is it the same design house?
Indeed, the Avanti Pendolinos would look so good where it not for the TWO Avanti West Coast logos on the driving cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.