• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

The_Train

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JakeMurphy

Pendo update

390127 and 125 are done
045 is being done as we speak
039 will be liveried next week

The_Train

Established Member
Pendo update

390127 and 125 are done
045 is being done as we speak
039 will be liveried next week
Thanks for this info :)
Do you (or anyone else) know if 390112 is back in service after it's recent failure and subsequent drag to Wembley please?

Clansman

Established Member

the first 390 is in for its upgrade and is due out in 16 weeks.
Interesting to see the first renders of new interiors in the video. Looks like it's the same seats as on the 803s in standard class and the same first class seats being reused but with a new headrest design. Bay partition screens in first class will be a welcome touch.

Also interesting to see them use the excuse of "allowing people to meet at the cafe bar" to describe the downgrade in the offering by replacing the fridges with shelves.

Attachments

• 3390.png
    3390.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 402
  • 2390.png
    2390.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 393
  • 1390.png
    1390.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 382
  • 5390.png
    5390.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 377
  • 4390.png
    4390.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 372
  • 6390.png
    6390.png
    859.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Mollman

Established Member
And the news article on their website including confirmation of reduced 1st class provision on 11 car sets
https://newsdesk.avantiwestcoast.co...gins-the-uks-biggest-ever-train-fleet-upgrade

Avanti West Coast begins the UK’s biggest ever train fleet upgrade​

FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail
The first Avanti West Coast Pendolino has entered Alstom's Widnes depot to mark the start of a £117m investment to refurbish and transform the UK's hardest working fleet.
  • The west coast operator will invest £117m in its iconic Pendolino trains
  • First ‘new’ train due back in service in late 2021
  • Upgrade will add more than 2,000 extra standard class seats
Avanti West Coast has kicked-off the UK’s biggest ever train fleet upgrade this week, as the first Pendolino was taken out of service for work to begin on the £117m project.
The programme will transform all 56 of Avanti West Coast’s iconic Pendolinos. The trains are widely regarded as the UK’s hardest working train fleet, clocking up more than 270 million miles since they were launched – enough to go to the moon and back more than 500 times.
The Pendolinos have served routes between London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, and Edinburgh for close to 20 years and the upgrade will return the whole Pendolino fleet to an ‘as new’ condition.
Customer improvements include:
  • Replacing 25,000 Standard Class seats;
  • Conversion of one First Class carriage on each of the 35 eleven-carriage Pendolinos to provide more than 2,000 extra Standard class seats;
  • The introduction of a new Café Bar for customers to meet and enjoy refreshments;
  • Improved lighting and new interior carpets;
  • Greater use of technology with customer-friendly passenger information screens;
  • Additional luggage space;
  • Power points at every seat;
  • Refurbished toilets.
Watch the train arriving onto the depot:

“The Pendolino is a real workhorse which has helped to transform services on the West Coast Main Line,” explained Phil Whittingham, Managing Director for Avanti West Coast. “This investment will take them to the next level and they’ll feel like new trains with state of the art technology and brand new seats. I can’t wait to see the reaction from our customers and people.”
Rail manufacturer Alstom will oversee the refurbishment at their new depot in Widnes in the North West securing 100 skilled jobs.
The first train, set number 390125, is due to re-enter service in late 2021. The upgrade programme will run until February 2024 when the last of the 56 strong fleet is expected to leave Widnes.
“We were delighted when our friends at Avanti West Coast entrusted our team at Widnes with the upgrade of the Alstom-built Pendolino, one of Britain’s most reliable, popular and sustainable trains” said Peter Broadley, Managing Director, Services, Alstom UK & Ireland. “Alstom is the nation’s leading train services provider and train refurbishment is a major part of our offering, so we can’t wait to get cracking on this landmark project.”’

UK suppliers will benefit from 80% of the £117m investment, which is financed by Angel Trains, one of the UK’s leading train Asset Management companies.
“Investing in the refurbishment of rolling stock is crucial for advancing the UK rail industry and supporting the wider supply chain,” said David Jordan, Chief Operating Officer of Angel Trains. “This project is a huge milestone, and we are proud to work with our customers Avanti West Coast to upgrade the Pendolino fleet, to create modern train interiors that are fit for future passengers’ needs.”

The refurbished Pendolinos are just part of the changes taking place on the West Coast. The ground-breaking Standard Premium has already been introduced, as has at-seat ordering and a brand-new fleet to replace the diesel Voyagers is coming in 2023.
Ends
Editors Notes
  • The Pendolino fleet was launched in 2002/03 and has clocked up over 272 million miles in service along the West Coast route.
  • Train number 390125, the first to enter the refurbishment programme, has travelled over 5.1 million miles.
  • A refurbished 11 carriage Pendolino will have 607 seats. 508 will be in Standard Class, up from the current 444 (an increase of 9.6%). The remaining 99 will be split across First and Standard Premium.

Skie

Looks like standard tables even have built in wireless charging. Noice.

aleandrail

Welcome to the forum!
221143 is currently out of service and I believe was taken to Central Rivers depot to be evaluated, as it was involved in an accident at Polmadie that severely damaged a carriage.
I believe 221142 was also out of use for flood damage repairs.
60943 , from 221143, left for repair a few weeks ago.
221142 still at central rivers.
221125 is now back in service.
220009 will be named next week

Ilovetrains43

On Moderation
Does anyone know how many 390s are in the full Avanti livery, as a couple got the full livery and except 390 119, the rest got it on their driving cars only. But I've heard they are doing them all fully. 390 119 has Pride vinyls, I think. Are all the Voyagers in the Interim livery yet as I can't keep track of how many have been repainted from the Virgin West Coast Old livery. 221 101 has White with grey doors, if i'm not mistaken.

Established Member
Does anyone know how many 390s are in the full Avanti livery, as a couple got the full livery and except 390 119, the rest got it on their driving cars only. But I've heard they are doing them all fully. 390 119 has Pride vinyls, I think. Are all the Voyagers in the Interim livery yet as I can't keep track of how many have been repainted from the Virgin West Coast Old livery. 221 101 has White with grey doors, if i'm not mistaken.
The list on the first post will give you the full details but there is now a mix or full and ends only on the 390s with all the 221s including 221101 in the ends only livery.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Noticed that there has been a change on the more recent Avanti reliveries - instead of the triangle with A at the point, the words AVANTI WEST COAST are written in full. This is typical First over branding, having it twice on each coach, but at least removes the confusion from people thinking it might be a coach letter and is so an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: