• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

dk1

Veteran Member
I was being facetious, but it would definitely help if on-board staff were treated better by their employees to start with.

I was being facetious, but it would definitely help if on-board staff were treated better by their employers to start with.
I agree with you on both counts haha.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
Any sign of the 805/807 seeing any day light frok the factory?
No news as of yet I think, but there is a dedicated thread for this at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...st-coasts-805-807s-hitachi-at300-sets.214752/
Have they also refurbished the on board service? I found a lot of the old staff were getting worn out and uncomfortable. Smiles were in short supply.
I know what you mean, as being a regular traveller with them a switch seemed to be have been flipped overnight once Avanti took over.
It's connected to the seat occupancy system.
Avanti mooted about this in the past.
Seen it the press release, it's on the new PIS screens for pax- tells you how many seats are available in a coach, I suppose you have to wait for the appropriate screen to be shown.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Virgin claimed to have introduced ‘quiet crockery’ towards the end of their tenure.

They actually did, I've got one (bought for me from an antique shop, I have no idea how it got to said shop, I didn't nick it!) - it was a plastic "saucer" with rubber feet in which a porcelain cup and small tray (for biccies, presumably) sat. Pictures attached. Quite a clever design to be fair to them.

Did nothing for panel rattles, of course - I guess they'll be there for a while until the various bits of paper get stuffed back in to stop them again.

Attachments

• 20220427_081621979_iOS.jpg
    20220427_081621979_iOS.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 155
  • 20220427_081632090_iOS.jpg
    20220427_081632090_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 155

Peter0124

Established Member

dorsetdesiro

The refurb does look great, a lot of blue though! Thought Avanti would make more use more of teal, perhaps navy blue is cheaper?

The new standard seats appear to be missing built-in lamps as those in Lumo's 803s, good job these are not those unpopular Sophias!

Nice to see a shop there, so come on GWR, please fit in a shop in your IETs!

Not sure about the white headrests in standard premium & first class, could get filthy easily also turn yellow bleached from the sunlight.

Those headrest "napkins" in standard premium - is this paper or fabric? If indeed fabric, then that's OK though it looks cheap ha ha.

HarryL

:)

I do think white headrests are a mistake, though, they will get very filthy very quickly. Dark grey leather would be best, in both classes - it looks good and doesn't show up dirt.
Transpennine also use white headrests don't they? Possibly the same material too, how have those held up?

tornado

A lot of modern materials are more stain-resistant than in the past, so maybe the white will hold up well.

Transpennine also use white headrests don't they? Possibly the same material too, how have those held up?

Those are leather (or fake leather), so easily cleaned. The light blue flat fabric of the rest of the seats doesn't fare so well, though!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Those are leather (or fake leather), so easily cleaned. The light blue flat fabric of the rest of the seats doesn't fare so well, though!

I suppose the Avanti 1st seats are, but the Standard ones are white (or off-white) moquette, which is about the most stupid design feature this side of the Fainsa Sophia's base cushion.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I suppose the Avanti 1st seats are, but the Standard ones are white (or off-white) moquette, which is about the most stupid design feature this side of the Fainsa Sophia's base cushion.
Agreed. Bonkers. They went for leather headrests in Standard class on TPE and SWR.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. Bonkers. They went for leather headrests in Standard class on TPE and SWR.

Leather (or fake leather) headrests with moquette on the rest is a great idea - easy to clean all the hair grease off and look classy while not being sticky or slippery to sit on. Dark grey is better than white, though.

Peter0124

Established Member
To quote myself, turns out 390125 isn't working anything today however I assume it remains at Oxley and may work something tomorrow.

Looks like its heading to Oxley tonight:

Should be working something out of Wolves tomorrow

dk1

Veteran Member
Leather (or fake leather) headrests with moquette on the rest is a great idea - easy to clean all the hair grease off and look classy while not being sticky or slippery to sit on. Dark grey is better than white, though.
The darker coloured ones used on 745/755s are excellent & have been easy to sanitize throughout the pandemic.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Its a bit disappointing that the vestibules remain untouched and retain VT colour scheme except for the lights by the doors which have gone from blue to white LEDs?

Compared to the 221 refurbishment. This is a slight let down for the 390s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its a bit disappointing that the vestibules remain untouched and retain VT colour scheme except for the lights by the doors which have gone from blue to white LEDs?

They weren't LEDs, they were blue translucent plastic which seems to have been removed.

I think they should put some more decorative vinyl in the bogs, not just the Avanti logo. I really like the way some TOCs have done that, e.g. Eurostar adding "tiling" and a Thomas Crapper cistern. It's a very good tool to reduce vandalism.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Compared to the 221 refurbishment. This is a slight let down for the 390s
The retention of red signs in a Neo Sans Font is really silly. Neo Sans on the railway is about as Virgin Trains as you can get.

Chiltern006

it feels 90% finished. if the toilet doors were put into Avanti colours and the red bars painted AWC colours it would be done, but sobeit

HarryL

The vestibules and grab handles being left is odd, though there is still time for the rest of the units to have them done. If none of them have it done then it will feel like a sloppy thing to miss.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Have they at least removed the Virgin hot air balloon?
You mean the completely brandless, red hot air balloon which totally doesn’t have a sticker over it covering up any previous branding? :D

They seem to have replaced the toilet design with the AWC logo colours.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Very very concerned about these new iron-board seats which are NOT at all suitable for long distance travel!

FRbU6Q-XIAAAnNz

Source: https://twitter.com/geofftech/status/1519636052037750785?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

dorsetdesiro

This is FirstGroup - I wouldn't hold my breath for the last 10% to be completed, if the AWC 390 refurb is 90% finished, as there are handle bars still remaining in Stagecoach orange in SWR Desiros even after refurbishment! No idea why these are not in cyan blue? Hopefully Avanti will seek to fully complete anything missed out in time.