• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Seat Reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottychoo

How vigorously are Avanti enforcing seat reservations? Are the trains still fairly empty?
More importantly how are the gateline staff at Euston enforcing them? If you have a ticket but no reservation will they let you through?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Yesterday when I was onboard it was not enforced whatsoever, although they do get annoyed if you sit in Coach C (Shop Coach) which seems to be being used as both the shop and a staff lounge at present. It was pretty lightly loaded on both trains I caught yesterday!

No experience at Euston directly, but I don’t believe it’s permitted in legislation for valid walk up fares to be refused (if the service is “full”, you could be told to wait for the next one I think though)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yesterday when I was onboard it was not enforced whatsoever, although they do get annoyed if you sit in Coach C (Shop Coach) which seems to be being used as both the shop and a staff lounge at present. It was pretty lightly loaded on both trains I caught yesterday!

Coach C is officially out of use for seating and that's on the announcements on the ATOS system at least.

No experience at Euston directly, but I don’t believe it’s permitted in legislation for valid walk up fares to be refused (if the service is “full”, you could be told to wait for the next one I think though)

I don't know where you got that from - TOCs are allowed to impose compulsory reservations on any service they see fit. They are free if you hold a walk-up ticket which covers the TSA related issue.

route101

Established Member
Took a Euston to Manchester service last Friday, 10am. Was P1 which has gained platform barriers, we just went through barriers , there was avanti staff at gateline but not checking tickets. No onboard check, service was quite busy.

Glasgow Central are checking before boarding, they ask if you dont have reservation to get one at ticket office.

Onboard , Glasgow to Preston few weeks ago. All seats were shown availible on displays. I moved to coach U , im not sure if coach u is still unreserved.

Euston to Manchester, reservation displays were showing reserved seats.

LNER service i was on , the displays were off , is that to stop people moving?

Trackman

Established Member
Last time I was on it wasn't enforced.
I didn't know they were enforcing reservations just recommending them.
As @route101 has said they are becoming busier, so who knows.

Mainline421

How vigorously are Avanti enforcing seat reservations? Are the trains still fairly empty?
More importantly how are the gateline staff at Euston enforcing them? If you have a ticket but no reservation will they let you through?
They're not. Travelled from Euston on Monday ticket (Super off-peak to Huddersfield) didn't work the barriers, they just asked where I was going (Manchester) and let me through. That said there isn't anything to "enforce" anyway 25% of the "socially distanced" seats are kept for passengers without reservations and Avanti's publicly stated policy is:
Avanti West Coast said:
Those without a reservation may not be able to board the service they want if the number of passengers reaches around a quarter of the train’s normal capacity.... if customers do turn up without a reservation, we’ll do our best to help but we can’t guarantee they’ll be able to take the train they want.
In reality I didn't see anyone counting and doubt it would practically be possible.

route101

Established Member
They're not. Travelled from Euston on Monday ticket (Super off-peak to Huddersfield) didn't work the barriers, they just asked where I was going (Manchester) and let me through. That said there isn't anything to "enforce" anyway 25% of the "socially distanced" seats are kept for passengers without reservations and Avanti's publicly stated policy is:
In reality I didn't see anyone counting and doubt it would practically be possible.

I had a Portsmouth to Glasgow off peak , and didnt work in barriers, so gateline staff seen it .

I heard that they give out reservations if its not full at Glasgow Central.

route101

Established Member
Last time I was on it wasn't enforced.
I didn't know they were enforcing reservations just recommending them.
As @route101 has said they are becoming busier, so who knows.

Guard on LNER was making sure people were sat in correct seat. Seems like if your on a table of 4 you may get someone opposite.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Guard on LNER was making sure people were sat in correct seat. Seems like if your on a table of 4 you may get someone opposite.

Yes, at each table 1 x Window seat and the aisle seat diagonally across the table are reservable.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
In Glasgow boards state "Reservations Compulsory" however, when I was at Euston it seemed it was only "advised" Train Managers are doing a grand job of announcing the relevant information of where to sit however people aren't taking it on board. They are still sitting in aisle seats and today I had 2 people try sit across from me at a table. They were swiftly told to go elsewhere. Unreserved carriages are still available on Pendolinos. Services are definitely getting busier. I have also noticed on the Avanti site for Friday travel it states "Social distancing may not be possible" surely this shouldn't be the case.

Kendalian

In Glasgow boards state "Reservations Compulsory" however, when I was at Euston it seemed it was only "advised" Train Managers are doing a grand job of announcing the relevant information of where to sit however people aren't taking it on board. They are still sitting in aisle seats and today I had 2 people try sit across from me at a table. They were swiftly told to go elsewhere. Unreserved carriages are still available on Pendolinos. Services are definitely getting busier. I have also noticed on the Avanti site for Friday travel it states "Social distancing may not be possible" surely this shouldn't be the case.

Isn't that why masks were made mandatory on public transport, for situations where social distancing wasn't possible to enable capacity to be increased?

route101

Established Member

I noticed that at Glasgow to , theres announcements that reservations are required and queuing system in place. The covid seat map on avantis website shows Coach U with distanced seats so i thought it was taking reservations.

fgwrich

Established Member
Took a Euston to Manchester service last Friday, 10am. Was P1 which has gained platform barriers, we just went through barriers , there was avanti staff at gateline but not checking tickets. No onboard check, service was quite busy.

Glasgow Central are checking before boarding, they ask if you dont have reservation to get one at ticket office.

Onboard , Glasgow to Preston few weeks ago. All seats were shown availible on displays. I moved to coach U , im not sure if coach u is still unreserved.

Euston to Manchester, reservation displays were showing reserved seats.

LNER service i was on , the displays were off , is that to stop people moving?

Agreed, I did Glasgow to Euston yesterday. You have to join the big long snake queue on the concourse, you then have your ticket checked where they ask you if you have a reservation, before allowing you to board. Announcements were made regularly throughout the journey - Be warned though, Avanti's booking system put me facing the wrong way, as did most of my coach :rolleyes:. After my service was cancelled at Preston, it felt like a free for all in both classes heading southwards, despite their stickers all over the floors & occasional announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.