• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Smartcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hb06_

I'm a regular user of Smartcards across the entire National Rail network, but the operator that serves where I live which is Avanti West Coast don't do them from what I know. Can you use other Smartcards with other TOCs or will I just have to put up with my paper tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm a regular user of Smartcards across the entire National Rail network, but the operator that serves where I live which is Avanti West Coast don't do them from what I know. Can you use other Smartcards with other TOCs or will I just have to put up with my paper tickets?

You can use e-tickets if you don't want to use paper ones.

dave87016

Established Member

I got a email a few days ago from Avanti West Coast apparently they now do smart cards as I don’t use them I didn’t delve into the email except the first couple of sentences

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I got a email a few days ago from Avanti West Coast apparently they now do smart cards as I don’t use them I didn’t delve into the email except the first couple of sentences
I haven't seen anything of them being introduced yet, they are however being introduced in the future, don't be expecting to see a Manchester to London flow enabled for Smartcard.
As for using them on Avanti services, there should be no issue, they can be read on TTK with relative ease.
Sam

Hb06_

Like ourselves Avanti see limited application for Smartcards mainly Season Tickets. Out of interest how much have you used a Smartcard on the East Coast?
Because I travel a lot, and don't have one set route every day, I don't use Smartcards with LNER because they require you have a season ticket to get one.

pcm_

ALSO...

After typing 'LNER Smart Card' into my generic search engine, there are a list of pages, each with individual responses to 'FAQs' about a so-called 'LNER Smartcard.' If you follow this, then on at the top, bellow the logo bar, and the normal menu bar, there is a link to the path to find a page called 'Smartcard FAQs.' If you click this, then it brings you to the linked page (bellow).

However, this is where the trail of breadcrumbs ends. I think this is a page intended for when LNER do release a smart card, but I cannot find any information about it.

https://www.lner.co.uk/faq/tickets-booking/smartcards-faq/

Haywain

Veteran Member
ALSO...

After typing 'LNER Smart Card' into my generic search engine, there are a list of pages, each with individual responses to 'FAQs' about a so-called 'LNER Smartcard.' If you follow this, then on at the top, bellow the logo bar, and the normal menu bar, there is a link to the path to find a page called 'Smartcard FAQs.' If you click this, then it brings you to the linked page (bellow).

However, this is where the trail of breadcrumbs ends. I think this is a page intended for when LNER do release a smart card, but I cannot find any information about it.

https://www.lner.co.uk/faq/tickets-booking/smartcards-faq/
LNER do have a smart card but so far it has only been subject to a 'soft launch'. Obviously, any wider launch is now delayed until further notice. The card would, at the moment, only be available from Travel Centres and is therefore unavailable for now. As far as tickets are concerned, the poster above said: "they require you have a season ticket to get one", which is correct but only in that on the LNER route it would be rather useless otherwise as only season tickets are enabled for smartcard.

Hb06_

West Coast We're Avantiwww.avantiwestcoast.co.uk › 13040-west-coast-customer-report

Hallo. I can't quite seem to see how to add a picture on here, but if you look at this 'West Coast Customer Report' PDF it suggests on page 7, that other operators' smart cards are/will be accepted from March 2020, and there will be an 'Avanti West Coast Smart Card' introduced in May 2021

It seems that they have released the other operator SmartCard functionality as I can see in their app. It would make sense for them to launch their own Smartcards, as the other TOCs in FirstGroup also have them from what I understand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200416-001241_Avanti West Coast.jpg
    Screenshot_20200416-001241_Avanti West Coast.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.