• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast - Super Voyager Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's a franchise requirement, presumably to make them as desirable as possible for any other TOC to take them on (XC? pretty please? DfT, please?).
XC seem never to really have cared that much about their stock: they'd probably take them on anyway. In fact the cost of changing them back so the interiors all match might make them less attractive.

Short of the photos in the toilets, the Voyagers are literally running around under XC with Virgin interiors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

And seemingly having seen no more than a quick vacuum since the Virgin days! XC need the Virgin 221s, and the Meridians too.

gsnedders

Established Member
XC seem never to really have cared that much about their stock: they'd probably take them on anyway. In fact the cost of changing them back so the interiors all match might make them less attractive.

Short of the photos in the toilets, the Voyagers are literally running around under XC with Virgin interiors.
The question is very much whether the DfT will give XC the funding to take on the extra stock; XC is reliant on subsidy and the increase in capacity necessary for the busiest sections of their routes is unlikely to pay for itself.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The question is very much whether the DfT will give XC the funding to take on the extra stock; XC is reliant on subsidy and the increase in capacity necessary for the busiest sections of their routes is unlikely to pay for itself.
Indeed.

My actual suspicion is that the DfT have just made a hash of the franchise terms, as is their track record, and are inadvertently funding refurbishment of stock that is heading to be stored off lease.

gsnedders

Established Member
Indeed.

My actual suspicion is that the DfT have just made a hash of the franchise terms, as is their track record, and are inadvertently funding refurbishment of stock that is heading to be stored off lease.
I've been sincerely hoping this isn't the case, but will be exceptionally unsurprised if it is.

supervc-10

I am quite sure that improving the quality of the XC service will lead to more passengers. I'd be one of them. The nastiness of the Voyager down to Bristol is one of the reasons why I drive from Manchester. A good friend of mine, who is American but lived in Finland before moving to Bristol, says that the train to Manchester is 'grim and stinky'. He was saying that the service is something he'd have tolerated in the US but not something that's OK in Europe. And I have to say I agree with him!

I go down south reasonably often. I take the train to London normally (Covid times excepted) because it's a better service than driving. When visiting friends in Bristol, the train isn't.

Mollman

Established Member
Refurbished set in traffic:
http://news.railcam.uk/index.php/20...t-refreshed-super-voyager-returns-to-service/

Avanti West Coast – First refreshed Super Voyager returns to service!
Super-Voyager-221101-Crewe-scaled.jpg

The first pictures of Avanti West Coast Super Voyager 221101 have been released after its return to service.
Super-Voyager-221101-Std-Class-Interior-Seats.jpg
Standard class interior of set 221101 after it’s refresh
The refresh was the first in an £8.3m deal which was signed with Bombardier last year.
We reported on the plans in July and the full details can be seen here.
Super-Voyager-221101-Crewe-Cab.jpg
Super Voyager 221101 cab with it’s Avanti West Coast branding

Neptune

Established Member
Looks reasonably nice, though it seems a bit lazy not to apply the full livery!
Lazy? You’re implying that they couldn’t be bothered which I suspect is not the case whatsoever.

Maybe it’s more a case that they’re coming off lease in the near future so what is the point applying the full livery. At least they’ve had a refresh unlike the XC units which are not slated for replacement.

MML

If they were thinking of a neutral refresh ready for the next customer, a neutral silver grey would have been better than the hideous ORANGE table top laminate.

The interior reminds me of easyJet rather than Avanti West Coast.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If they were thinking of a neutral refresh ready for the next customer, a neutral silver grey would have been better than the hideous ORANGE table top laminate.

They haven't changed the table top, that's how Virgin did them. It's not orange, it's sort of a quite nice woody sort of colour.

The lighting conduit is the same pattern.

Neptune

Established Member
They haven't changed the table top, that's how Virgin did them. It's not orange, it's sort of a quite nice woody sort of colour.
Yes it looks like they’ve just replaced the seat maquette, carpet and repainted the end wall’s/grab rails. The table tops are untouched. The renders suggest a vestibule refresh too.

All in all it looks loads better than the original garish Virgin scheme.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Lazy? You’re implying that they couldn’t be bothered which I suspect is not the case whatsoever.

Maybe it’s more a case that they’re coming off lease in the near future so what is the point applying the full livery. At least they’ve had a refresh unlike the XC units which are not slated for replacement.
Well you could use the same argument to say, what is the point in refurb at all?
By "lazy" I meant more as a cost-saving rather than effort-saving thing.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
A minor point; I've been told by someone speaking with authority (and, yes, so often in those circumstances, it's rubbish) that the reason for the apparently random red seats in the Virgin scheme was to indicate the position of the emergency exit windows.
Is there any truth in this, or yet more duff gen?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A minor point; I've been told by someone speaking with authority (and, yes, so often in those circumstances, it's rubbish) that the reason for the apparently random red seats in the Virgin scheme was to indicate the position of the emergency exit windows.
Is there any truth in this, or yet more duff gen?

It's false, you can see from this picture that it was more by side in the Voyagers, and those aren't all emergency windows.

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's false, you can see from this picture that it was more by side in the Voyagers, and those aren't all emergency windows.

I think @Merle Haggard is probably referring to the fact that some seats are red in the "wrong" side. However, IIRC the emergency windows on a Voyager are the ones closest to the vestibules, and those are the same colour as the rest of their side!

RichardTBC

221106 has also had its refurbishment done, I travelled up to Warrington on it yesterday, same interiors as 221101

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Thank you for the comments.
Of course, fake news (aka b******t) always has an air of slight plausibility that makes one wonder!

James Kevill

Will all of the 20 Class 221 Super Voyagers have their plain white livery with grey doors during the refurbishment?

greatvoyager

Established Member
I know what you mean. Abellio actually uses a very similar moquette all over Europe.

I quite like it. In contrast to the rest of the AWC brand, which I find overly corporate-feeling.
Just out of interest, is the internal colour scheme the standard for AWC, or is it a neutral one?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Just out of interest, is the internal colour scheme the standard for AWC, or is it a neutral one?
I'm not sure. I am yet to travel on a refurbished unit. However the blue seat covers and orange grab handles do seem to match AWC's brand so even if it is neutral, it's pretty skewed towards them.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I'm not sure. I am yet to travel on a refurbished unit. However the blue seat covers and orange grab handles do seem to match AWC's brand so even if it is neutral, it's pretty skewed towards them.
It is standard as it has the Avanti orange grab handles and green-blue seat colour with orange and white? stripes on the seat.
Thank you.

class 9

Before COVID XC was running profitably, premiums being payed to Government, no subsidy.
Post COVID however is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.