• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craigk8163

I completed the initial application on OPC. I was expecting a confirmation email to say I've applied which I haven't recieved and still haven't had generic email confirming whether I've passed or failed. I emailed opc on Monday and Wednesday and they replied saying the following.

Thanks for your email. Confirmation emails are not necessarily sent to you on completion of the online questionnaire. Once we have had the opportunity to review your application we will then inform you of the results.

I find it frustrating everyone one here has had a reply.

I'm not saying I'd get through because I know how hard the process is having not met enhanced standard last year for freightliner.

I feel like my application has slipped through the net, which sucks I just want to be put out of misery lol.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Just to confirm I've only completed the initial questionnaire.
You needed to go through the link as it quite clearly stated in the page
Thanks mate. I’m waiting to start with TFL at the minute as ‘CSA’ so can hopefully work my way up to Driver eventually. But I am slightly confused as I only missed 6 errors I believe in total across all 3 VSE exercises.
sounds more a rejection based on the SJT questions then. 6 errors across all 3 seems a good standard to me.

Blackkat

I just got my rejection email.. I have already completed all assessments with another toc and just awaiting a mmi... so I just completed the initial Q/A’s... really frustrates me that every toc I apply to wont even get me passed stage 1..it’s almost like my current toc has put a block on me being taken by others lol!

Railroader22

You needed to go through the link as it quite clearly stated in the page

sounds more a rejection based on the SJT questions then. 6 errors across all 3 seems a good standard to me.
I’ve emailed the OPC and asked if I can have some feedback as to which test I’ve failed on and need to improve because in all honesty I was really expecting to pass this stage. I really wouldn’t expect to fail the SJT, but then after my VSE performance it surely couldn’t be a failure on that exercise? It leaves me so confused.

bruebunny

I’ve emailed the OPC and asked if I can have some feedback as to which test I’ve failed on and need to improve because in all honesty I was really expecting to pass this stage. I really wouldn’t expect to fail the SJT, but then after my VSE performance it surely couldn’t be a failure on that exercise? It leaves me so confused.
Do you know which side you missed? Could it be that a few faults went passed on the left hand side that you missed? The left side is weighted much more importantly than the right side. I know I noticed one fault that I was just too late to click it (two lights were on when I was blocking some of the screen with my hand)
The first test is engineered to lull you into a false safety on the third test, as it was (for me) the same two faults each circuit, and the third test started the same way and then added some more in.

I hope they give you the clarity you are after. It's so hard just not knowing what a pass or fail mark actually is in these tests.

Railroader22

Do you know which side you missed? Could it be that a few faults went passed on the left hand side that you missed? The left side is weighted much more importantly than the right side. I know I noticed one fault that I was just too late to click it (two lights were on when I was blocking some of the screen with my hand)
The first test is engineered to lull you into a false safety on the third test, as it was (for me) the same two faults each circuit, and the third test started the same way and then added some more in.

I hope they give you the clarity you are after. It's so hard just not knowing what a pass or fail mark actually is in these tests.
It’s a possibility of course that I may have missed an error I didn’t notice, but I’m pretty confident I had a total of 6 errors missed across all 3 exercises. I was hitting all the double lights, the missed stops, the colour changes. And the shapes on the right I was getting pretty much everyone correct. I can only think it was the SJT I’ve failed on, but I’m just so surprised as I didn’t expect to fail an SJT. Hopefully I’ll get a bit of clarity in an email response but I won’t hold my breath. Good luck to everyone still in though.

Dan61

Had my email stating passed the initial application. Just got to do the tests today. Has anyone completed them without a mouse or is a mouse a good idea

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
The only positive is, despite some distraction, managed Stage 1 and 2 of VSE without an error and then only 2 errors in the mixed phase (1 at the start as I thought it was practice!). Fingers crossed the SJT is good enough.

FManc

they really are, i wonder if they have any dates for courses this year

It all depends on when restrictions on COVID-19 are lifted.
There is already going to be a knock on effect as the most recent course hasn't been able to start on-time.

I got the rejection email saying I failed the mjt/vse. I was expecting it to be honest. I knew I made too many errors. I'm also better doing these things in a proper testing environment rather than at home. But look on the bright side. As far as I'm aware it's not one of my two lives, plus I only passed out as a guard two weeks ago and am enjoying that. Maybe a chance will come up for driving within my own TOC one day.

Vdt

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, there's a lot to go through.
I've been invited to take the VSE and SJT, do these count as one of your 2 lives?

na281093

I got the rejection email saying I failed the mjt/vse. I was expecting it to be honest. I knew I made too many errors. I'm also better doing these things in a proper testing environment rather than at home. But look on the bright side. As far as I'm aware it's not one of my two lives, plus I only passed out as a guard two weeks ago and am enjoying that. Maybe a chance will come up for driving within my own TOC one day.
I just got a rejection email for the VSE/SJT. Really disappointed and surprised. I did so well on the VSE and I really thought my SJT answers were good. Sinking heart feeling upon opening the email.

When did you guys do the tests if you don’t mind me asking? Sorry to hear you didn’t pass, onwards and upwards though we all know how hard the process of becoming a driver is. Stick at it and hopefully we all get there one day!

When did you guys do the tests if you don’t mind me asking? Sorry to hear you didn’t pass, onwards and upwards though we all know how hard the process of becoming a driver is. Stick at it and hopefully we all get there one day!

I did mine yesterday (Sunday) morning. I shouldn't have, in hindsight, I wasn't in the best frame of mind. (Plus the dog started barking midway through test 3!) Not making excuses but my computer set up at home isn't the best for working on either. If I ever do one at home again, I'll have to fabricate some kind of controlled environment, I'd be much happier then. Like you say, onwards and upwards, but becoming a Guard this year has already been a huge achievement for me, so despite being disappointed about this, I've still got lots to be happy about.

Railroader22

I did my test on Saturday. Disappointed is an understatement, but staying positive. Waiting to start my role with TFL as soon as Covid19 restrictions are done and then hopefully after 6 months I can apply for driving with Underground.

Mb1234

I got my first response from OPC 4 working days after the ‘10 workings days’ email, since someone mentioned the deadline is May 7th we may get results for our VSE/SJT then.... just me thinking

PaulBusDriver

Thanks mate. I’m waiting to start with TFL at the minute as ‘CSA’ so can hopefully work my way up to Driver eventually. But I am slightly confused as I only missed 6 errors I believe in total across all 3 VSE exercises.
I had the same email today, I was expecting it though.
Good luck to everyone else left in the running.

bruebunny

Had my email stating passed the initial application. Just got to do the tests today. Has anyone completed them without a mouse or is a mouse a good idea
Definitely do it with a mouse. You will be clicking between two options, on opposite sides of the screen in a very limited window of time. You want to be able to go between them very quickly.

Railhopeful

Completed the SJT/VSE tests yesterday. They were really tough and had an email today, saying I'll hear within 10 days. Not confident but it's one of them.

Definitely use a mouse. I bought a test online to give me some practise for the exercise and checked YouTube videos. Would definitely recommend it if never been done before, as I had no idea what to expect. Good luck all.

Personally, I wasn't happy about having to do a concentration test of this type outside of a controlled environment. And with the lockdown, it's impossible to find somewhere more appropriate to do it. But that's my opinion. I'm sure for others, they may have found it easier doing it at home.

But...It is what it is. And with railway jobs, the early stages seem to be about simply getting the numbers down. It probably takes quite some time before an actual human actually sees your name.

But thinking practically, what alternative is there?

Good luck to everyone else.

Irish Rail

Personally, I wasn't happy about having to do a concentration test of this type outside of a controlled environment. And with the lockdown, it's impossible to find somewhere more appropriate to do it. But that's my opinion. I'm sure for others, they may have found it easier doing it at home.

But...It is what it is. And with railway jobs, the early stages seem to be about simply getting the numbers down. It probably takes quite some time before an actual human actually sees your name.

But thinking practically, what alternative is there?

Good luck to everyone else.

Surely nowhere can be more controlled than your own home? I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be happy about this? Same test and same circumstances for everyone.

Surely nowhere can be more controlled than your own home? I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be happy about this? Same test and same circumstances for everyone.

I did say it was my opinion, I'm allowed to say if I'm happy with something or not. Everyone's different, everyone's home circumstances are different. I prefer taking tests/exams in an exam environment where everyone is under the same condiitions. My set up at home isn't ideal for cocentrating. If it works for you..then great.

At the end of the day, I didn't meet the required standards and it's up to me to make sure that I do what I need to do so I concentrate better next time.

Edit: It's the VSE tests I mainly talking about. The SJT didn't require that constant level of concentration.

Last edited:

Ana D

I did say it was my opinion, I'm allowed to say if I'm happy with something or not. Everyone's different, everyone's home circumstances are different. I prefer taking tests/exams in an exam environment where everyone is under the same condiitions. My set up at home isn't ideal for cocentrating. If it works for you..then great.

At the end of the day, I didn't meet the required standards and it's up to me to make sure that I do what I need to do so I concentrate better next time.

Edit: It's the VSE tests I mainly talking about. The SJT didn't require that constant level of concentration.
Don’t beat yourself over it, I got the no too, although I’m sure when they reach a certain number of people the rest they get the no no, or purely we didn’t meet the requirements, as long as you know what you’ve done wrong, then it’s amazing because you can correct that in the future. And don’t ever give up , there will always be chances, even if it takes another year then you have time to prepare for it and learn more about this kind of tests. Never ever give up or think you’re not good enough.state of mind is crucial in tests like this. You need peace and quiet and not to be nervous, I’m always nervous ha ha, because it means a lot for me, I can’t not be nervous. Never mind , I will never stop and you shouldn’t either.

Irish Rail

Knock backs are hard to take and it’s disappointing when things don’t go your way. Better luck next time to you both.

Don’t beat yourself over it, I got the no too, although I’m sure when they reach a certain number of people the rest they get the no no, or purely we didn’t meet the requirements, as long as you know what you’ve done wrong, then it’s amazing because you can correct that in the future. And don’t ever give up , there will always be chances, even if it takes another year then you have time to prepare for it and learn more about this kind of tests. Never ever give up or think you’re not good enough.state of mind is crucial in tests like this. You need peace and quiet and not to be nervous, I’m always nervous ha ha, because it means a lot for me, I can’t not be nervous. Never mind , I will never stop and you shouldn’t either.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not beating myself up to much, just frustrated that I didn't sit the VSE test at the right time in the right conditions...which is partly my fault. To concentrate to that level, I need to make sure that the dog is somewhere else, that my neighbour who is renovating his house doesn't start drilling holes into the wall next door and that I'm sat at a proper desk in a silent room. Very difficult to organise for me during this lockdown but hopefully, I'll make a better go of it next time.

But as I said earlier in the thread, I'm 4 months into my new job as a guard and loving it so far. My TOC is known for encouraging guards to progress to drivers. So for now, get to grips with my current role, importantly work hard on keeping a clean safety record, keep on enjoying it, try to move up those links so I can do some longer distance work...and see what happens!

Ken Hughes

In case it is of assistance, I contacted OPC to see if everyone immaterial of when they received their invite to the VSE and M7 assessments would have the same cut off time for completing them. It appears we do. I received my invite this afternoon 4 May but still have to have completed the next stage by 1700 on 7 May. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.