• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octopus28

So as the only TOC that is using CBI, I would have to wait until I get the pass/fail from Avanti before any other can be done, and if I go for this interview first, get my CBI and then get the go ahead from another TOC, my CBI pass will be erased, so I would lose my Avanti place the second I attempt the MMI?
I think it means let’s say you’re in the pool for TPE who do the MMI and you pass the CBI for Avanti, the MMI pass for TPE is erased meaning you can no longer be in their pool. I’m going to wait for OPC to confirm any of this. Seems a bit backwards!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bruebunny

I think it means let’s say you’re in the pool for TPE who do the MMI and you pass the CBI for Avanti, the MMI pass for TPE is erased meaning you can no longer be in their pool. I’m going to wait for OPC to confirm any of this. Seems a bit backwards!
If that works one way, wouldn't it also work the other? If CBI erases past MMI passes, wouldn't MMI erase past CBI passes?

Octopus28

If that works one way, wouldn't it also work the other? If CBI erases past MMI passes, wouldn't MMI erase past CBI passes?
Yes I’m guessing it works both ways. Why they all can’t stick to just one interview technique baffles me!

Jaytrains

So as the only TOC that is using CBI, I would have to wait until I get the pass/fail from Avanti before any other can be done, and if I go for this interview first, get my CBI and then get the go ahead from another TOC, my CBI pass will be erased, so I would lose my Avanti place the second I attempt the MMI?

That’s correct!

and based on my research the majority of tocs in the United Kingdom use the MMI instead of CBI so erasing your MMI scores could also mess up your chances with other tocs at enhanced or standard level which is annoying.

L.j.

Applied for Wolverhampton on Friday. Glad I did because it temporarily disappeared off the board. Then discovered that it resurfaced later on. Not sure quite what to make of that. Does that mean they weren't thrilled about the strength in depth so reopened the link to ensure a bit more quality in the group? I expect to hear something tomorrow, 12 hour shift but I'm going to be spending most of it wondering about this application. Good luck anyway

Good Luck to you as well!

L.j.

I got the email as well on Monday about going to the OPC I think it might be a generic email, mine stated about the dates and its possible re-sit group bourdon and CBI interview as well. I guess whatever they want you to do or not do they will inform you on the day, they may have put those points in as usually that is what is often people fail on for an advanced level.

Gooner18

IWould rather keep my current enhanced passes and be able to apply for other tocs than throw all my eggs in one basket and chance the CBI

Octopus28

Could always email them and tell them so the rest of us have more of a chance...
They haven’t told us what exactly we have to retake or how they are working it with the MMI/CBI so we can’t yet. As soon as I get an email I’m going to ring them and find out and pull my name out the hat at that point.

Mgv1349

I am aware of the format, I'm more explaining the wording of the email successful applicants received that cited a number of 48.
Yeah but they don’t pick out the “top 48” it really doesn’t work like that, they don’t judge your scores as much as people think, it’s more a pass or not then a %.

DRS66421

Does anyone know how many times you can sit the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the OPC Magnificent 7 Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT)?

Also what is your best advice for passing these tests?

Many thanks.

baz962

Established Member
Does anyone know how many times you can sit the OPC Visual Search Exercise (VSE) and the OPC Magnificent 7 Situational Judgement Test (M7SJT)?

Many thanks.
I believe twice. No advice though.

baz962

Established Member
Thanks. Strange though as others have said that they have sat these tests several times.
I don't know if they mean the normal sjt. I only know because I was told by the opc , when I had done them for one company and was waiting for the results and was at an assessment day and got sent home. They told me that if I did them again while waiting for the results , that they might lose track of my two lives , fail them and lose two lives at once.

Many thanks.
Not so much advice, just some info on my experience. In my invite email to do the online tests (VSE/M7SJT) there was a link to a sample paper which demonstrates how each test works. This was definitely useful, especially if you've not sat those types of tests before.

The M7SJT gives you situations and you rank the given responses in order of what would be your most likely response, second most likely etc. They don't give answers to the sample questions - they claim there are no right answers but really they want to understand how you think. You can probably figure out what they're looking for but there are still a few judgement calls so I'd suggest you make sure you can justify your selections should they ask about them in an interview.

The VSE part of the sample paper is hard and fast paced. I ended up downloading a metronome app for my phone to get me working at the required speed lol. They do provide answers for those. Print several copies, get a pencil, find a quiet room and practice! I practised these variously for a week including on the morning before I did the test. I did the test in the afternoon - turn your phone off, get a quiet room, close the other apps on your computer, and close the door then do the test without distraction. This is the key thing - you're concentrating on each part of the test for about 10 minutes without the ability to pause so make sure you won't be distracted. They also give a load of advice before starting like making sure you have a stable internet connection, and use a mouse not a trackpad.

I found the online test itself easier to follow than the paper version, which made the paper version very useful preparation.
Hope this helps

bruebunny

Not so much advice, just some info on my experience. In my invite email to do the online tests (VSE/M7SJT) there was a link to a sample paper which demonstrates how each test works. This was definitely useful, especially if you've not sat those types of tests before.

The M7SJT gives you situations and you rank the given responses in order of what would be your most likely response, second most likely etc. They don't give answers to the sample questions - they claim there are no right answers but really they want to understand how you think. You can probably figure out what they're looking for but there are still a few judgement calls so I'd suggest you make sure you can justify your selections should they ask about them in an interview.

The VSE part of the sample paper is hard and fast paced. I ended up downloading a metronome app for my phone to get me working at the required speed lol. They do provide answers for those. Print several copies, get a pencil, find a quiet room and practice! I practised these variously for a week including on the morning before I did the test. I did the test in the afternoon - turn your phone off, get a quiet room, close the other apps on your computer, and close the door then do the test without distraction. This is the key thing - you're concentrating on each part of the test for about 10 minutes without the ability to pause so make sure you won't be distracted. They also give a load of advice before starting like making sure you have a stable internet connection, and use a mouse not a trackpad.

I found the online test itself easier to follow than the paper version, which made the paper version very useful preparation.
Hope this helps

One thing I would add to this. Try different techniques. Print out a bunch of the practice sheets and try every way you can think of to analyze each piece of information and process it. For example, I found that my GB results were consistently the best when I said the number of dots I was looking at. This made sure I didn't gloss over any fours, because it forced me to take an extra beat as I said the number and kinda double check my work as I went.
There might be things you can do in these tests that make you more consistent, feel better about hitting 100% of the answers right.

DRS66421

Hope this helps
Many thanks for this. Trying to get my foot in the door. In my late teens. It’s a daily battle for me.

DRS66421

One thing I would add to this. Try different techniques. Print out a bunch of the practice sheets and try every way you can think of to analyze each piece of information and process it. For example, I found that my GB results were consistently the best when I said the number of dots I was looking at. This made sure I didn't gloss over any fours, because it forced me to take an extra beat as I said the number and kinda double check my work as I went.
There might be things you can do in these tests that make you more consistent, feel better about hitting 100% of the answers right.
Many thanks for this.

That's a good idea about the GB tests. I'll be trying that method over the weekend on my GB practice :D
Good point too about 100% - that matches my understanding that they're looking for accuracy over speed.

bruebunny

That's a good idea about the GB tests. I'll be trying that method over the weekend on my GB practice :D
Good point too about 100% - that matches my understanding that they're looking for accuracy over speed.
They want both, but I would say if going slower costs you a line or two, but you have all perfect lines besides that, it will see you better than having more lines but a couple of errors.

Octopus28

Anyone just received the ‘YOUR INVITATION TO ONLINE ASSESSMENT’ email? Nothing to do with the next stage OPC assessments though haha

Anyone just received the ‘YOUR INVITATION TO ONLINE ASSESSMENT’ email? Nothing to do with the next stage OPC assessments though haha
Yes, me too. I think I'll do it as I have some time over the weekend. If, as they say, it will provide useful practice for the proper assessments then it's worth a shot. There's always the chance that it curries some favour with OPC, even if they don't discuss it with Avanti :D

Status
Not open for further replies.