• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dri22yDre

I don't think it will be next year though, I think its just because of everything that is going on with the virus and lockdown it would be easier to say next year instead of keep sending changes if this situation with the virus continues, they will just contact us when they are ready.
I agree.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PlutoJerry

I've also just got a "held in the talent pool" email, I suppose given everything that's going on they've taken a smaller selection of those that achieved the highest scores on the online tests.

Good luck to those that have progressed!

Pjordan

I can´t remember the exact wording of the initial job advert on the Avanti website, but didn´t it say this was for a pool of drivers for starting in 2020-2021? I received the same email and will play the waiting game a little longer. :smile:

Has anyone received their results from the trial tests?

Indeed, good luck to those with assessment dates ;)

ArchangelA

I can´t remember the exact wording of the initial job advert on the Avanti website, but didn´t it say this was for a pool of drivers for starting in 2020-2021? I received the same email and will play the waiting game a little longer. :smile:

Has anyone received their results from the trial tests?

Indeed, good luck to those with assessment dates ;)
Yes it did mention about being recruited for the talent pool as well, I do remember that. Still not received trial test results.

Railhopeful

I received my trial test results last week. Sorry to hear about the email you all received and I genuinely hope they open it up again soon for you all.

The Don

I got a reply earlier as to the reason some were picked over others.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_113426.jpg
    IMG_20200604_113426.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 227

ArchangelA

I got a reply earlier as to the reason some were picked over others.
That reads to me as though Avanti have requested a certain kind of candidate to go through at the moment. That could be based on test scores, or one of the protected characteristics (gender etc). Who knows?????

The Don

I will be asking for them to clarify that once more dates are available, will they automatically generate an email for us to attend an assessment date.

Stigy

Established Member
That reads to me as though Avanti have requested a certain kind of candidate to go through at the moment. That could be based on test scores, or one of the protected characteristics (gender etc). Who knows?????
It’s probably test scores. From experience, these usually run in grades from A to D and the highest scores will take priority. I can’t see at this stage, with so many applications, that they would even differentiate between gender/ethnicity etc.

L.j.

I think only the people who have dates have had their feedback it seems to be, I think its just the waiting game for now, we will most probably hear from them again once the first lot are done, its just this virus situation that is delaying things, they could of stopped things sooner if it was just based on how many people applied, could of just turned down more people at the application stage.

JLX5

I think only the people who have dates have had their feedback it seems to be, I think its just the waiting game for now, we will most probably hear from them again once the first lot are done, its just this virus situation that is delaying things, they could of stopped things sooner if it was just based on how many people applied, could of just turned down more people at the application stage.
I had my trial test feedback but no assessment invitation, mine has also been placed in the talent pool.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I didn't do any of the 'practice' tests they asked us to trial. It did say it wouldn't hinder the application so hopefully it has no bearing as they said.

It’s probably test scores. From experience, these usually run in grades from A to D and the highest scores will take priority. I can’t see at this stage, with so many applications, that they would even differentiate between gender/ethnicity etc.
I didn't do any of the 'practice' tests they asked us to trial. It did say it wouldn't hinder the application so hopefully it has no bearing as they said.

Without putting too fine a point on it - I tick a "diversity" box. I also did two sets of trial tests and was graded A on both (top grade, out of A-E).
Regardless, I still wasn't invited to the first set of assessment centre dates and have been placed in the Talent Pool. I'm disappointed not to be picked this time but I think it's just due to the number of applicants who've got through to the assessment centre stage and this being slowed down by the restrictions on social distancing etc. Hopefully they'll be inviting more people soon.
Best of luck to everyone who is going through in the first group.

Stigy

Established Member
Without putting too fine a point on it - I tick a "diversity" box. I also did two sets of trial tests and was graded A on both (top grade, out of A-E).
Regardless, I still wasn't invited to the first set of assessment centre dates and have been placed in the Talent Pool. I'm disappointed not to be picked this time but I think it's just due to the number of applicants who've got through to the assessment centre stage and this being slowed down by the restrictions on social distancing etc. Hopefully they'll be inviting more people soon.
Best of luck to everyone who is going through in the first group.
How do you know what your scores were? They don’t usually tell candidates? Assuming you requested them?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Whatever your trial test grades, the reality is they don’t form (I hope!) who is going to Watford first as it was supposed to have no bearing.

How do you know what your scores were? They don’t usually tell candidates? Assuming you requested them?
This was for the trial tests that OPC are putting together for future use, not the actual trainee driver assessments for Avanti. OPC confirmed they would give everyone participating in the trial tests feedback on their results so I didn't have to request them. There was speculation further up that non-participation in those trial tests may have led to not being invited to the first group of assessment centres, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Stigy

Established Member
This was for the trial tests that OPC are putting together for future use, not the actual trainee driver assessments for Avanti. OPC confirmed they would give everyone participating in the trial tests feedback on their results so I didn't have to request them. There was speculation further up that non-participation in those trial tests may have led to not being invited to the first group of assessment centres, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Oh I see. I would imagine then as another poster said, they’d not use the results from the trial tests as a basis for inviting you to the next phase of the process. The scores I was referring to were for the initial online tests before the OPC usually get involved.

L.j.

Had my feedback yesterday on the trail tests, I think the positions are based on who applied first kind of order, I am aware that internals had the opportunity first before the role went external.

ArchangelA

Had my feedback yesterday on the trail tests, I think the positions are based on who applied first kind of order, I am aware that internals had the opportunity first before the role went external.
That would make a lot of sense because I left it until the last minute to apply

Erowe

So have people had dates to visit the opc in Watford??
Some have had dates, others have had an email saying they are being held in a talent pool until more dates come up within the next year as they have reduced the number they invite due to coronavirus

ArchangelA

Has anyone here managed to email Avanti careers successfully and know their correct email address please? The email address given in the OPC email doesn't appear to work and doesn't look right. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.