• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avantix ticket machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukenthusiastuk

Does anyone know who i can contact in regards to getting an Avantix machine. These were the ticket machines that Guards used to carry until just over a year ago when all TOCs replaced them with new ticket machines.

I am a railway enthusiast and would like one to add to my collection. Obviously i am not asking for a working one that would allow me to print tickets. One that doesn't work and has had the software removed would be fine.

I managed to get a Permit To Travel machine about five years ago (from Metric Group) so this sort of stuff is available if you know who to ask. I am happy to pay for an Avantix machine so it doesn't have to be given for free.

So my question is who owns and manufacturers the Avantix machines? Who is best to contact in regards to this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
The PDA's were built by Microsoft I think and they just had the software installed on them, the printers were just lumps of plastic that the PDA's connected to.

Jonfun

Established Member
The PDA's were built by Microsoft I think and they just had the software installed on them, the printers were just lumps of plastic that the PDA's connected to.

PDAs were Casio, Cassiopeia DT-10s, running Windows... Mobile, I think. Pretty decent pieces of kit in terms of what they could actually do, just very unreliable and used to love crashing and rebooting.

I couldn't even guess who you'd ask about sourcing one, I would think Worldline would be able to point you in the right direction.

Scotrail84

Established Member
PDAs were Casio, Cassiopeia DT-10s, running Windows... Mobile, I think. Pretty decent pieces of kit in terms of what they could actually do, just very unreliable and used to love crashing and rebooting.

I couldn't even guess who you'd ask about sourcing one, I would think Worldline would be able to point you in the right direction.

Thats it, they were Casio machines with microsoft stuff installed on them, got a bit confused.

Established Member
My call to the Avantix helpline, 2007 ish.

"Oh, you need to dock your machine".
- "But I'm in Hull".
"I understand, you will need to return to your Avantix office and dock the machine."
- "But that's 140 miles away."
"Well there's nothing we can do."
- "Shall I throw it the King George or the Alexandra Dock?"
*Line goes dead*

OpsWeb

As far as I know - they were all boxed up and sent back to Atos for recycling along with the back-office kit. I don't know if they were broken up or just sold to another company. I imagine the equipment was probably nearing the end if its useful life come the end of the contract anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.