• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Probably right actually. Anything is better than that.

I know it's not long-haul but I remember about a year and a bit ago Ryanair had a new quiet and dark cabin policy on early AM flights. It was glorious. They put the lights on dim for the cabin trolley run and they fixed little battery powered desk lamps to the trolley. It's moot during the summer of course, but those dark winter mornings on the 6am flight are hell without the policy. You have to try and fall fast asleep during taxi and take off when the lights are out so you don't get woken up by the fire of a thousand blue and yellow suns when they flick the lights on like a camp kommandant.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't dislike the idea of fake dawn/dusk at all (indeed I have a fake dawn alarm clock which can if I could be bothered also do a fake dusk, it's remarkably effective for early starts in winter) but the blues, reds, greens and purples are all a bit ridiculous.

I'm not sure how exactly it's supposed to work but in a normal day I spend some time outside and some time inside, while the rooms I am in while I'm inside don't all have the same amount of natural light. Is mood lighting supposed to represent this pattern or does it presume you stay in one place for the entire flight?

I think the dark blue lighting is effective for overnight. It allows people awake to be able to see where they are going (if for instance you are going to the toilet), while it's not too bright to keep those who want to sleep awake.

pemma

Veteran Member
It’s meant to represent outside. The blue is meant to be the night sky but the problem is blue promotes wakefulness. Red would be better.

It seems the research about blue light on sleep patterns shows very negative effects for teenagers but less noticeable effects for over 25s. While for those who suffer from Alzheimer's disease blue light at night has an aiding effect, while red light has a negative effect. Maybe that's part of the reason for the different colours, different people respond negatively and positively to different colours?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Hmm, red lights, at the back of a dark plane on a long flight. People might get the wrong impression.

OwlMan

Established Member
Wizz Air to order more Airbuses - Wizz Air Holdings Plc (“Wizz Air” or “the Company”), the largest low-cost airline in Central and Eastern Europe, announced today that, following a competitive selection process, it has signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus S.A.S. (“Airbus”) relating to the purchase of a further 146 Airbus A320neo family aircraft (72 A320neo and 74 A321neo). While deliveries will start in 2022, the bulk of the aircraft will be delivered in 2025 and 2026, following on from the delivery of the 110 Airbus A321neo aircraft ordered by Wizz Air in 2015. Under the memorandum of understanding Wizz Air has the right to substitute a number of the A320neo aircraft with the Airbus A321neo and vice versa, depending on its future requirements.

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/informati...rder-for-146-airbus-a320neo-family-aircraft#/
WIZZ AIR ANNOUNCES ORDER FOR 146 AIRBUS A320neo FAMILY AIRCRAFT
Nov 15, 2017, 09:00 AM

Provides fleet renewal and expansion to capitalize on growth opportunity and drive unit costs even lower

Wizz Air Holdings Plc (“Wizz Air” or “the Company”), the largest low-cost airline in Central and Eastern Europe, announced today that, following a competitive selection process, it has signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus S.A.S. (“Airbus”) relating to the purchase of a further 146 Airbus A320neo family aircraft (72 A320neo and 74 A321neo). While deliveries will start in 2022, the bulk of the aircraft will be delivered in 2025 and 2026, following on from the delivery of the 110 Airbus A321neo aircraft ordered by Wizz Air in 2015. Under the memorandum of understanding Wizz Air has the right to substitute a number of the A320neo aircraft with the Airbus A321neo and vice versa, depending on its future requirements.

At current list prices, these additional aircraft are worth in excess of US$17.2 billion although discounts will be granted by Airbus. Completion of the order remains subject to approval by Wizz Air shareholders.

“Once again, Airbus has delivered the best overall mix of aircraft, cost efficiency, support and price. We are convinced that the Airbus A320neo and A321neo will be game-changer aircraft for Wizz Air, as we continue to grow at an industry-leading rate and expand our market reach across and beyond Europe,” said József Váradi, Wizz Air’s chief executive officer. “The next-step technology aircraft will enable us to continue to lower our operating costs as we drive towards our goal of Wizz Air being the lowest fare and lowest unit cost airline in Europe. Wizz Air will continue to stimulate demand for air travel in CEE and beyond by offering the lowest fares to our customers, while still delivering a great customer experience on-board one of the youngest fleets in Europe”.

This new order, if approved by Wizz Air’s shareholders, would bring Wizz Air’s outstanding orders with Airbus to 282 aircraft, including also 8 Airbus A320ceo and 18 Airbus A321ceo aircraft, deliveries of which will continue to early 2019, and 110 Airbus A321neo aircraft, deliveries of which are planned to start in 2019 and continue through to the end of 2024.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for the comments on RTW trips, they sound like amazing experiences. I would have to have a career break at work to be able to do such a trip, but I am now sufficiently advised enough to actually go and research it. Won't happen before 2019, of that much I can assure you all, but rest assured there would be a major trip report to read afterwards!

To the honourable gentleman doing that 8,066 mile flight, I wish you luck as that is enormous! 2 take-offs in one trip though, not to be sniffed at!

I did my Round the World Trip in 2009 using Air New Zealand - the ticket cost about £1000

EDINBURGH- LONDON- HONG KONG - AUCKLAND - SYDNEY- AUCKLAND-LOS ANGELES - LONDON- EDINBURGH

I don't believe you can do this ticket any longer as Air New Zealand have cut some of the legs from their schedule.

Whilst I was in Australia I did a couple of internal trips by Air to Canberra and Melbourne from Sydney (Day trips for peanuts). In the USA I did an internal flight from LA to San Francisco.

Everything was booked online (RTW Ticket, Other Flights, Hotels, Excursions) even then.

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone ever done any ultra long haul flying? I’m taking Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to New York-JFK next summer. 8,066 miles!

The flight I’m taking also includes a stop in Vancouver (to serve this destination - not a technical or refuelling stop - the 777-300 can actually make it the whole 8,000+ miles!).

I flew from Santiago in Chile to Paris Charles de Gaulle which was about 14 or 16 hours. I paid about £50 for an exit seat but it was still an ordeal. This was on Air France. Worst thing was having to land in the South of France to refuel when we were so close to home - that added another hour but was a safety requirement to have enough fuel to cover any delays at CDG.

Butts

Veteran Member
They aren’t nicknamed the Crash-8s for nothing. Horrible aircraft. I was just on one too. Yuck.

I'm glad people are coming around to may way of thinking and my campaign for Flybe to get rid of them and switch to Embraer 175/190 which are far more comfortable and seemingly safer.

fowler9

Established Member
I read somewhere that Flybe are struggling to fill their Embraers to an extent that they make money. May have been airliners.net.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
It’s meant to represent outside. The blue is meant to be the night sky but the problem is blue promotes wakefulness. Red would be better.

Green is the most comfortable light for the human eye. A nice dark green ambient light would work well I think.

Maybe for Aer Lingus at least.

gsnedders

Established Member
I read somewhere that Flybe are struggling to fill their Embraers to an extent that they make money. May have been airliners.net.
Yeah, I've heard that before too. One of the big advantages of the Dash-8-400 is they're really cheap to operate, and can be profitable comparatively empty without raising prices.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Wizz Air to order more Airbuses - Wizz Air Holdings Plc (“Wizz Air” or “the Company”), the largest low-cost airline in Central and Eastern Europe, announced today that, following a competitive selection process, it has signed a memorandum of understanding with Airbus S.A.S. (“Airbus”) relating to the purchase of a further 146 Airbus A320neo family aircraft (72 A320neo and 74 A321neo). While deliveries will start in 2022, the bulk of the aircraft will be delivered in 2025 and 2026, following on from the delivery of the 110 Airbus A321neo aircraft ordered by Wizz Air in 2015. Under the memorandum of understanding Wizz Air has the right to substitute a number of the A320neo aircraft with the Airbus A321neo and vice versa, depending on its future requirements.
Decent sized order there, and a boost for Wizz.

Did BA ever confirm the speculated rumour that they were going to order CS series?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Whoops…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42037832

The world's longest aircraft has collapsed to the ground less than 24 hours after a successful test flight.

The Airlander 10 - a combination of a plane and an airship - was seen to "break in two" at an airfield in Bedfordshire, an eyewitness said.

Owner Hybrid Air Vehicles Ltd said it appeared the Airlander broke free from its mooring mast, triggering a safety system which deflates the aircraft.

Two people on the ground suffered minor injuries.

Anyone got a balloon pump to lend to them...?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I did my Round the World Trip in 2009 using Air New Zealand - the ticket cost about £1000

EDINBURGH- LONDON- HONG KONG - AUCKLAND - SYDNEY- AUCKLAND-LOS ANGELES - LONDON- EDINBURGH

I don't believe you can do this ticket any longer as Air New Zealand have cut some of the legs from their schedule.

Whilst I was in Australia I did a couple of internal trips by Air to Canberra and Melbourne from Sydney (Day trips for peanuts). In the USA I did an internal flight from LA to San Francisco.

Everything was booked online (RTW Ticket, Other Flights, Hotels, Excursions) even then.

Thanks for the response Butts, that sounds like an insanely good value trip it must be said! Still working out which way I would do things, although I would probably head east first.

atillathehunn

Established Member
The price will depend on the flexibility and number of changes permitted for free, and the flexibility in airlines. Friends did one for about £1200 with OneWorld, with reasonable flexibility. This was MAN-DXB-SIN-AUS-NZ-FIJI-US-MAN. Some of the details I'm not so clear on. It also included a number of US internal flights.

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for the response Butts, that sounds like an insanely good value trip it must be said! Still working out which way I would do things, although I would probably head east first.
Go for it Tech, you will have the time of your life. I would love to do another. I think next time it will be a trip of a few weeks rather than six months. I can't envisage having the time or money to do that again. Ha ha.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I definitely couldn't afford to do it over several months, a few weeks would be pushing it too! Still thinking about it, understandably it's very expensive so needs to have a lot of consideration. Even so, there's lots of outside factors at play at the moment, the most important of which being that in the coming weeks, after putting it off for many years, I'm going to man up and learn to drive. I want to achieve that by the spring, and the renewal of my provisional has now been submitted so it's now or never!

Maybe a RTW trip will occur in the 2020s...

fowler9

Established Member
I definitely couldn't afford to do it over several months, a few weeks would be pushing it too! Still thinking about it, understandably it's very expensive so needs to have a lot of consideration. Even so, there's lots of outside factors at play at the moment, the most important of which being that in the coming weeks, after putting it off for many years, I'm going to man up and learn to drive. I want to achieve that by the spring, and the renewal of my provisional has now been submitted so it's now or never!

Mate am sure you have plenty of time. Don't know how old you are but I was 36 when I did mine. I turned 37 in Rotorua in New Zealand.

atillathehunn

Established Member

As Fowler says, there's no age limit. In fact, when a bit older, wiser and wealthier it might add to the overall enjoyment.

If it's something you're interested in, and you budget for the expenses sensibly, it doesn't need to be outrageous. Maybe shift some of your spending to a rewards card for hotels/accommodation and use the points when on the road. I would imagine a fairly sensible budget is about £4k including the ticket. Would very much encourage you to do it Tech.

I've never done a RTW, and actually it doesn't appeal. Though I've travelled a moderate amount, it's always been for a specific reason and now I travel quite a lot for work.

fowler9

Established Member
As an aside on my round the world trip we spent a month on the Gold Coast in Australia. We stayed with my exe's great auntie twice removed (Or whatever the relationship was) Dilys and her daughter and son in law. The son in law was the head Electrical and Project Engineer of a company called Bustech. Recently in the news Bustech have delivered their first ZDi all electric bus to Dubai and he was over there doing all the testing. When we stayed with them he took me around the Bustech factory a few times and also around the Surfside Buses garages. Also took me out for a drive down the Gold Coast Highway in one of two (At the time) Bustech cdi which is the first double decker designed and built in Australia. I remember being sat at the front of the top deck with his dog Twix next to me. Amazing experience and an amazing and generous family.

Sorry, I got carried away. In short Tech, do it when you are able. You never know what bizarre experiences you may have.

OwlMan

Established Member
VLM receive Belgian AOCs for both Airbus A320 and Fokker 50

https://flyvlm.force3.be/vlm-airlin...or-both-airbus-a320-and-fokker-50-operations#

VLM Airlines received Belgian AOCs for both Airbus A320 and Fokker 50 operations

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 — Yesterday evening VLM Airlines received from the Directorate-General for Civil Aviation (BCAA) of the Belgian federal Transport Ministry an air operator certificate (AOC) for its Fokker 50 operations. Earlier, the BCAA had approved the take-over by VLM Airlines of the A320 Air Operator Certificate of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium. After the comeback on the Antwerp - London City Airport route last month, the delivery of these two AOCs is another very important milestone for VLM Airlines.

At present, VLM Airlines has three air operator certificates: a Slovenian and a Belgian AOC for its Fokker 50 operations and a Belgian AOC for the A320 operations.

Two Airbus A320-200s are registered on the A320 AOC (OO-TCT and OO-TCX). These aircraft are based at Brussels Airport and are used for charters, ACMI and private flights. VLM’s first A320 flights already took place last week.

The current livery of the A320s refers to the leisure market that VLM Airlines also wants to target. The ultimate goal is for the A320s to be deployed together with the Fokker 50 fleet on the European scheduled flight network of VLM Airlines.

VLM Airlines currently operates 19 scheduled flights per week on the popular business route between Antwerp and London City Airport. In addition, the VLM aircraft also carry out charter, ACMI and private flights from Antwerp, Brussels, Maribor and other European airports.

Currently VLM Airlines employs 100 aviation professionals and has a fleet of 6 Fokker 50 turboprop aircraft and 2 Airbus A320-200s, which are all registered in Belgium. The A320 has 180 passenger seats. The Fokker 50 can carry 50 passengers.

About VLM Airlines
The Belgian company SHS Antwerp Aviation N.V. is a subsidiary of the Dutch investment company SHS Aviation B.V. SHS Aviation B.V. is owned for 60% by Dutch investors. A minority share of 40% is held by Chinese investors. The Slovenian airline VLM Airlines d.d. is a subsidiary of SHS Antwerp Aviation.

Both SHS Antwerp Aviation N.V. and VLM Airlines d.d. are developing airline activities under the common trading name ‘VLM Airlines’.

SHS Antwerp Aviation is the successor to VLM Airlines N.V. that ceased all its activities on 22nd June 2016. In September 2016, SHS Aviation acquired the remaining aircraft and all other assets of VLM Airlines N.V.
www.flyvlm.com

pemma

Veteran Member
I can't find a suitable link but there's reports BA are to board passengers who paid most first.

dcsprior

I can't find a suitable link but there's reports BA are to board passengers who paid most first.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/1...rding-passengers-by-group-from-12th-december/

British Airways to start boarding passengers by group from 12th December
Posted by Rob

Following numerous trials, British Airways has finally decided to push ahead with boarding in groups. The new process will go live on 12th December.

Your boarding pass will now carry a group number. These are:

Long-haul:

Group 1 – BA Gold or oneworld equivalent, First Class passengers

Group 2 – BA Silver or oneworld equivalent, Club World passengers

Group 3 – BA Bronze or oneworld equivalent, World Traveller Plus passengers

Group 4 and Group 5 – World Traveller passengers, split by row

BA-boarding-pass.jpg

Short-haul:

Group 1 – BA Gold or oneworld equivalent, Club Europe

Group 2 – BA Silver or oneworld equivalent

Group 3 – BA Bronze or oneworld equivalent

Group 4 – Euro Traveller

Group 5 – Euro Traveller on a hand baggage only fare

It is not clear what will happen with mixed groups – historically there has been an informal policy that children or partners could board with higher status passengers in the same group.

The key to this new policy working will be the announcements. All passengers will be expected to be seated by the departure gate. They will be strongly encouraged not to congregate by the boarding area.

Only when their boarding group is announced should they stand up and make their way to the gate. The idea is to replace what can be a scrum with a more laid back process. It will also be easier to police hand baggage, since it will be clear to boarding staff at each stage in the process how much each group should be allowed to bring on.

Will it work? We will see …..

All Line Rover

Established Member
Do passengers already have assigned seats before boarding the aircraft? I can understand, even support, British Airway's policy if the answer is "no".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do passengers already have assigned seats before boarding the aircraft? I can understand, even support, British Airway's policy if the answer is "no".

Yes. I'm not aware of any airline serving the UK which does not allocate seats at check-in or before.

I can see why boarding first has value in terms of overhead space near your seat, though.

telstarbox

Established Member
Having only flown in economy (and rarely on the likes of BA) I've wondered before: for the people who can access the luxurious lounges, do they prefer to rock up at the airport as early as possible to rinse the spa treatments and champagne; or are they busy people whose 'time is money' so they turn up as late as possible and go straight through the fast track security and onto the aircraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.