• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Very sad news. I've read in another report that it was cardiac arrest that caused him to shuffle off this mortal coil, so unfortunately even though the collision doesn't look to be that serious, if he perhaps had an underlying condition it could have been the catalyst required.

All terribly sad for his colleagues, relatives and friends.

Equally it could have been the cardiac arrest that caused the accident in the first place. It happens on the public highways so it can happen on the airside network too. But totally agree, it's terribly sad.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm travelling from Luton airport in a few weeks time for the first time - can anyone share what the experience is like there please? What are the facilities like "airside".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A zoo. Even before the construction work.

Personally I used to quite like it, but it's way too busy these days. I was put off London City Airport for the same reason - it's nice in theory, but not if you can't get a seat, however posh they might look.

Mind you a new bar has opened up which might reduce the loadings on it, it goes right up to the windows on the side where "Gate 17" (I think it was 17 - it was never actually used as a gate but was at one point used as the assistance waiting area) was located.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A zoo. Even before the construction work.

Personally I used to quite like it, but it's way too busy these days. I was put off London City Airport for the same reason - it's nice in theory, but not if you can't get a seat, however posh they might look.

Mind you a new bar has opened up which might reduce the loadings on it, it goes right up to the windows on the side where "Gate 17" (I think it was 17 - it was never actually used as a gate but was at one point used as the assistance waiting area) was located.

Oops, that's not want I want to hear - will delay going air side as long as it is reasonably practicable - fortunately ZRH awaits at the other end. :D

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm travelling from Luton airport in a few weeks time for the first time - can anyone share what the experience is like there please? What are the facilities like "airside".

I was there two weeks ago. It's much improved, and airside is by a long way a better environment than landside.

A huge new pub / restaurant was open, called 'the Smithfield', which occupies the old duty free shop. Plenty of other eating options - a big Benugo just after duty free, the Pret is still there near the walkway to the gates (which has moved slightly) a place called Friska (very reasonable breakfast), Bella Italia, and a couple of others. Duty free now occupies the whole of the old security area.

It does get busy, but that depends on your departure time; busiest times are 0500-0700 for the first wave of EZY departures, and 0700-0830 for the first wave of Wizz departures. After that it's less busy although obviously that depends on flight delays. From memory EZYs Zurich flights are in that first wave only on a couple of days per week, but most are lunchtime or evening.

To reiterate, airside is better than landside, so get through security (which is always reasonably quick in any event).

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm travelling from Luton airport in a few weeks time for the first time - can anyone share what the experience is like there please?

Appalling.

I hate Luton Airport and it has no redeeming qualities. One of the worst in Europe, and I’ve visited a lot.

Crawley Ben

Interesting expansion plans.

Interesting that Norwegian appear to be shifting from trying to go to New York and Boston via tiny regional airports (they've pulled some of the flights before they've really started) and are now targeting slightly less major cities, but cities which are perhaps not so well served. Though I'm not too sure about the tourist potential of MSP in the depths of winter...

The far east would be interesting, but competition is pretty cut throat to China with returns available for pocket change with the Chinese carriers.

Ben: if you're working today, how did the Buenos Aires flight go off? Was it well loaded?

If they want to appeal to the business traveller they need a real business product, and they also need a frequent flier programme to be able to compete with the entrenched carriers. They also need frequency. No business will book their employee to Singapore if the next flight is in 2 days with no Alliance rebooking options in case of missing the flight, meeting patterns changing or a flight goes tech.

309 pax on board the maiden Gatwick - Buenos Aires service last night.

I will prob miss the first inbound service as it's due in 05.00am tomorrow morning, and I don't start until 07.00am (unless of course it turns up late)

Cheers

Ben

Crawley Ben

Appalling.

I hate Luton Airport and it has no redeeming qualities. One of the worst in Europe, and I’ve visited a lot.

You should give Funchal, Lisbon (terminal used by Low Cost Carriers) & Berlin Schonefeld Airports a try (unless you already have been to said airports). Goodness me they are utterly woeful IMO.

Ben

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was there two weeks ago. It's much improved, and airside is by a long way a better environment than landside.

A huge new pub / restaurant was open, called 'the Smithfield', which occupies the old duty free shop. Plenty of other eating options - a big Benugo just after duty free, the Pret is still there near the walkway to the gates (which has moved slightly) a place called Friska (very reasonable breakfast), Bella Italia, and a couple of others. Duty free now occupies the whole of the old security area.

It does get busy, but that depends on your departure time; busiest times are 0500-0700 for the first wave of EZY departures, and 0700-0830 for the first wave of Wizz departures. After that it's less busy although obviously that depends on flight delays. From memory EZYs Zurich flights are in that first wave only on a couple of days per week, but most are lunchtime or evening.

To reiterate, airside is better than landside, so get through security (which is always reasonably quick in any event).

Appalling.

Thanks for the somewhat contrasting reports. :D I guess I'll have to make up my own mind next month!

You should give Funchal, Lisbon (terminal used by Low Cost Carriers) & Berlin Schonefeld Airports a try (unless you already have been to said airports). Goodness me they are utterly woeful IMO.

Been through Schonefeld one way only (arriving). It felt like the Berlin wall hadn't fell!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Equally it could have been the cardiac arrest that caused the accident in the first place. It happens on the public highways so it can happen on the airside network too. But totally agree, it's terribly sad.

A report on the news this morning suggested that the BAA yellow pick up failed to yield to the BA engineer who was killed, hitting him broadside. The article implied he then subsequently died of cardiac arrest.

All very sad, and I trust justice will be brought to bear on the individual responsible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Appalling.

I prefer it over Gatwick, mainly because it's much quicker to get through. Definitely beats Stansted which is awful in most ways except the nice high roof.

It's also quite reliable/punctual due to the relative lack of flights during the day allowing problems to recover reasonably quickly. Furthermore despite being on top of a hill it seems not to suffer badly with bad weather.

gsnedders

Established Member

To be fair to Schönefeld, it was meant to close in 2011. The fact it's seen any development while passenger numbers have continued to shoot up (near double what they were in 2011!) is a miracle.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know, Geneva is really very average. Perhaps it's only the German speaking bit! :)

It's been ages since I flew to/from GVA - from what I can remember views of the runway airside are somewhat spoiled by little dots on the windows that make it difficult to see out the closer to the window you get!

Crawley Ben

To be fair to Schönefeld, it was meant to close in 2011. The fact it's seen any development while passenger numbers have continued to shoot up (near double what they were in 2011!) is a miracle.

I might be being a tad harsh, but the sooner they close it down the better for all who have the misfortune of using the place IMO.

Nice wasn't too bad when I went there last September. Being right next to the seafront you get great close views of aircraft taking off & landing there ✈️.

Cheers

Ben

CC 72100

Established Member

Ben

I only arrived into Lisbon, but I was actually really impressed by it, very efficient on arrival!

robk23oxf

It's been ages since I flew to/from GVA - from what I can remember views of the runway airside are somewhat spoiled by little dots on the windows that make it difficult to see out the closer to the window you get!

There's a space outside in between the airport terminal and the convention centre where you can watch the aircraft and get very close to anything parked on a remote stand.

Khxds

Anybody had an experience with Air Europa at all? impulsively booked with them to Brazil (Recife) next month, wondering now if i should've spent a little more and gone with TAP Air portugal instead..

fowler9

Established Member

Ben
Schonefeld is awful. As is Split, Split looks amazing but is probably about half as big as it needs to be airside.

Dentonian

Established Member

Ben

Coincidentally, I popped into T2 at Lisbon last week - long story, but basically doing the hotel shuttle driver a favour - and caught the free bus to T1. T2 does indeed look like the proverbial warehouse with check in desks on one side and automatic drink & snack vending machines on the other, before going through a side door to get airside. T1 OTOH is much like the soon to be retired T1 at MAN; Not so much an Air Terminal as an expensive shopping mall with a few planes attached to the far side.

TheAlbanach_

I really don't mind arriving into Schönefeld, always got through passport control very fast so can't complain, same with Tegel get though passport in no time at Al. However departing from these airports is not good, Tegel been better just cause there were more seats. Edinburgh is great for departing but serving is terrible, the passport checks are so slow and the room isn't big enough.

Dentonian

Established Member
Will Walsh the CEO of International Airlines Group has stated that the groups low cost carrier Level, could starts long haul ops from regional UK airports in future, but only if Govt drops Air Passenger Duty.

Link to the story below

https://www.businesstraveller.com/b...d-reduces-chances-level-launching-uk-regions/

Cheers

Ben

Wow (no pun intend if anyone from Iceland is reading). I didn't know IAG were even considering such a bold move as flying directly from anywhere other than London, London or London. IF it ever happened, I promise I won't throw darts at an effigy of Willy Walsh ever again. But for now, I'll just assume that Manchester is simply where LEVEL get their A330s painted.

Crawley Ben

Anybody had an experience with Air Europa at all? impulsively booked with them to Brazil (Recife) next month, wondering now if i should've spent a little more and gone with TAP Air portugal instead..

Never travelled with Air Europa myself, only dealt with them in a work capacity. Have never heard any groans or complaints at all from passengers etc. Hopefully you have good flights. Will fly on a 737 to Madrid I presume, and then A330 or 787 onwards?

Cheers

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.