• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dentonian

Established Member
As a matter of trivia that XLF A330 (F-GRSQ) has Champion's League form: it worked to MAN from Turin for the final of 2003!

None of the three that made it would be classed as "Rare" visitors to MAN. The French arm of Transavia are fairly unusual - and a delay on the return meant it did actually depart at a "civilised" hour - but coincidentally, a couple of unconnected TVF charters are expected in June.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
http://today.thefinancialexpress.co...an-to-get-one-dreamliner-in-august-1526744043

According to this posted in another forum, Biman Bangladesh are planning a return to Manchester. Will be dependent on getting their Dreamliners on time. Will operate Dhaka - Sylhet - Manchester - Sylhet. Likely to get a New York tag in time. Probably a couple of times per week at most. Still another welcome addition to the long haul service at Manchester. A commenter elsewhere noted that it's probably good news for the hotels dealing with disrupted passengers... Knocking Flymaybe off their perch?!

Great news. Any idea what sort of product they’ll have in their business class? I’m on the world’s sketchiest WiFi in Jeddah Airport right now and google is being weird.

atillathehunn

Established Member
The Manchester flight in question was indeed supposed to be an A359, f/n ET8706/7 iirc "running on/off" the Frankfurt service. There was also supposed to be a Ukrainian 767, but in the end MAN handled an XLF A330, Transavia France 738 and an Enter Air 738.

So as I understand it, in the end none of the Ethiopian planes were used in anger?

Seems like a bit of a shambles. But credit to them for at least sorting out some planes in time for the final, even if expensive.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Great news. Any idea what sort of product they’ll have in their business class? I’m on the world’s sketchiest WiFi in Jeddah Airport right now and google is being weird.
On their old 777s they have angled-flat beds.
The new 787s will have 2-2-2 Stelia Equinox seats - so lie flat. Same seats as in Air Europa's and Royal Air Maroc's 787, which has had mixed reviews. From their website it looks like it might be fairly packed. However, I would imagine the price is going to reflect that.

Dentonian

Established Member
So as I understand it, in the end none of the Ethiopian planes were used in anger?

Seems like a bit of a shambles. But credit to them for at least sorting out some planes in time for the final, even if expensive.
Actually, a 787 did operate from LPL on Friday. This was the flight "saved" by the two Mayor's.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
On their old 777s they have angled-flat beds.
The new 787s will have 2-2-2 Stelia Equinox seats - so lie flat. Same seats as in Air Europa's and Royal Air Maroc's 787, which has had mixed reviews. From their website it looks like it might be fairly packed. However, I would imagine the price is going to reflect that.

Thanks I’ve seen it now.

You can get Dhaka to London one way for as low as £600, which, if it stays that low when the flatbeds come out, would make that one of the best value C fares around.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Air Belgium has finally taken off and the inaugural ran over the weekend with their A340; Russian overflight issues appear to be resolved. I'm quite sure the plane is stuffed to the gunwhales with tour groups.

Interestingly, on Skyscanner they show up as Blue1 rather than Air Belgium, don't know why. Not necessarily the cheapest option for travel between Brussels(ish) and Hong Kong - assume they can sell enough seats through the tour operators.

gsnedders

Established Member
Interestingly, on Skyscanner they show up as Blue1 rather than Air Belgium, don't know why. Not necessarily the cheapest option for travel between Brussels(ish) and Hong Kong - assume they can sell enough seats through the tour operators.
Blue1 is now defunct, but had the IATA code KF, and the new Air Belgium has the IATA code KF. Almost certainly just keying off of that.

atillathehunn

Established Member
That makes sense. The flight number in the search engine was tallying with that shown in flightradar. Had assumed it was some kind of agent they used, but you are right clearly just an out of date link in a database.

atillathehunn

Established Member
They don't appear to be offering any particular discount over Cathay Pacific direct from BRU or the one stop options available also from Zaventem.

I would imagine it will rest on tour business and fractional and low-yielding VFR/tourism.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Talking of Cathay, I’m at HKG airport right now about to take their ultra long haul to JFK (with a stop in Vancouver) in first class. God damn the lounges here are magnificent.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Talking of Cathay, I’m at HKG airport right now about to take their ultra long haul to JFK (with a stop in Vancouver) in first class. God damn the lounges here are magnificent.

Jammy sod. That's going to be one hell of a trip - trip report very welcome! Are you in The Wing? That's very much going the pretty way round from Milton Keynes to JFK, though, if I may say.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I’m amazed Air Belgium took off. Taking bets on when their last flight will be...

Reading a small piece by onemileatatime on Air Belgium. €40 credit card fee in business class, and €75 seat selection! The inaugural (they claim a technical run) had 15 people onboard. The author also notes that during the delay, passengers were rebooked; a spokesman said that about 60 people had to be re-accommodated over a period of 5 weeks. That's somewhere between 1.5 and 3 people per flight.

The numbers are not looking rosy.

Crawley Ben

Primera Air have axed flights from Birmingham to New York & Toronto this summer according to reports elsewhere. This is due to problems with delivery of the new Airbus planes that had were due to operate the flights in question. The airline are looking to try again in 2019.

Not sure how many people this will effect & hopefully they can make alternative plans.

Cheers

Ben

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Jammy sod. That's going to be one hell of a trip - trip report very welcome! Are you in The Wing? That's very much going the pretty way round from Milton Keynes to JFK, though, if I may say.

It is the long way round - 25 sectors (mostly on separate tickets) round the world. Was in Singapore yesterday which is great - though a bit too humid for my pasty complexion. I was just in the Wing and am in the Pier now, which is much more me.

Reading a small piece by onemileatatime on Air Belgium. €40 credit card fee in business class, and €75 seat selection! The inaugural (they claim a technical run) had 15 people onboard. The author also notes that during the delay, passengers were rebooked; a spokesman said that about 60 people had to be re-accommodated over a period of 5 weeks. That's somewhere between 1.5 and 3 people per flight.

The numbers are not looking rosy.

Yeah I read that, I understand he’s due to fly them sometime soon but whether they’re still operating is another thing! There’s something not right about the whole thing.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
OK, so the Cabinet has just approved Heathrow expansion (again) - BBC News story.

If you're feeling déjà vu all over again, then better get used to it as I'm sure the re-ignited campaign against the third runway is going to be just as vehement as it was in the past!

atillathehunn

Established Member
It is the long way round - 25 sectors (mostly on separate tickets) round the world. Was in Singapore yesterday which is great - though a bit too humid for my pasty complexion. I was just in the Wing and am in the Pier now, which is much more me.

Yeah I read that, I understand he’s due to fly them sometime soon but whether they’re still operating is another thing! There’s something not right about the whole thing.

Have fun on your jollies! Sounds like quite a trip.

Was more a fan of Hong Kong than Singapore, though not to do with weather, just 'feeling'.

I don't see Air Belgium being a long term venture, especially if they carry on like this. They had these publicity trial flights recently, 3 hours round Europe with proceeds to charity. However, since then there has been no advertising. I've spent the last quite a few days in Belgium (for both pleasure and work) and didn't see any adverts for them. Perhaps it's a different story in China.

How was the ULR flight?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Primera Air have axed flights from Birmingham to New York & Toronto this summer according to reports elsewhere. This is due to problems with delivery of the new Airbus planes that had were due to operate the flights in question. The airline are looking to try again in 2019.

Not sure how many people this will effect & hopefully they can make alternative plans.

Cheers

Ben

Well, there's quite a few posters on here (including me) who might feel somewhat vindicated. I think someone won £5.

Absolute shower. Nobody will touch them again after this. The reviews from Stansted are looking pretty dire, and to cancel with very little notice is shameful.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How was the ULR flight?

Best. Flight. Ever.

I’ve never flown with any of the blingy Middle Eastern carriers and I don’t really have the appetite to. Cathay’s service was utterly class from start to finish. The Pier was incredible - genteel ambience turned up to 11.

There’s nothing brash or showy about Cathay. The whole experience was other-worldly. Understated and elegant in every way possible. It was a privilege.

Back down to Earth now, just got off Frontier Airlines (who are nice in their own way!).

Well, there's quite a few posters on here (including me) who might feel somewhat vindicated. I think someone won £5.

Absolute shower. Nobody will touch them again after this. The reviews from Stansted are looking pretty dire, and to cancel with very little notice is shameful.

It was me who called this a while ago and I may have bet a theoretical fiver. I’m feeling full of schadenfreude right now.

There was no way I was booking Primera when I looked at their business model. This was always going to happen.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Best. Flight. Ever.

I’ve never flown with any of the blingy Middle Eastern carriers and I don’t really have the appetite to. Cathay’s service was utterly class from start to finish. The Pier was incredible - genteel ambience turned up to 11.

There’s nothing brash or showy about Cathay. The whole experience was other-worldly. Understated and elegant in every way possible. It was a privilege.

Back down to Earth now, just got off Frontier Airlines (who are nice in their own way!).

It was me who called this a while ago and I may have bet a theoretical fiver. I’m feeling full of schadenfreude right now.

There was no way I was booking Primera when I looked at their business model. This was always going to happen.

Sounds terrific, 17 hours in the lap of luxury. I was very unimpressed by the catering on Cathay. What was it like in the pointy end? Emirates always looks a bit OTT, but Qatar sounds more understated. One day someone will pay me enough to fly F...

From the sublime to the ridiculous from Cathay F to Frontier - worse than spirit?

Primeria are surely done for. The implementation has been atrocious. While other carriers have had engine problems with Dreamliners etc, their resolution and communication is often better, with alliances and multiple daily frequencies to recover service. It's a crowded market and at the moment their niche is they aren't flying anywhere. They will need a big charm offensive to get back from this.

Khxds

My first trip with Wizz Air London LTN to Bratislava this week, thanks to cheap initial fares. the 30" seat pitch certainly didn't look it! thankfully paid £18/each way for an exit row seat otherwise it would've been uncomfortable for me and everyone around me being 6'5.

The outbound flight was delayed over an hour which went unexplained and they brought forward the return flight 12hrs essentially cutting the trip short a day. But it's a lovely city and very cheap for a city break, 1hr away from Vienna by train also. Would highly recommend, but maybe fly Ryanair?

fowler9

Established Member
My first trip with Wizz Air London LTN to Bratislava this week, thanks to cheap initial fares. the 30" seat pitch certainly didn't look it! thankfully paid £18/each way for an exit row seat otherwise it would've been uncomfortable for me and everyone around me being 6'5.

The outbound flight was delayed over an hour which went unexplained and they brought forward the return flight 12hrs essentially cutting the trip short a day. But it's a lovely city and very cheap for a city break, 1hr away from Vienna by train also. Would highly recommend, but maybe fly Ryanair?
Sure Ryanair will be great and no one will disagree. Ha ha. (PS I don't mind them, prefer Wizzair though)

atillathehunn

Established Member

Sounds quite terrible. Actually found Ryanair's (and easyJet's) new thin seats quite comfortable and with now relatively OK legroom. Wizz sounds very uncomfortable!

@Khxds - depending on when they informed you about the schedule change you may well be eligible under EC/261, so might be worth doing some research.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Sure Ryanair will be great and no one will disagree. Ha ha. (PS I don't mind them, prefer Wizzair though)

Horses for courses, but Wizz's baggage policy and very restrictive leg room is at the very bottom of the offerings for LCCs. Ryanair actually has a fairly generous baggage policy (easyJet is just 1 cabin bag) and their leg room, while tight, is not horrendous. I found Vueling far worse and I'm not on the small side.

gsnedders

Established Member

atillathehunn

Established Member
Got to imagine so. They have an A340-500 operating BCN-OAK which is quite unusual so assume they are badly down on frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.