• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The bloggers are having a field day now that it's Eurobusiness or standard economy seat for the 11 hour flight and change. The fuel stop is in Baku, and it's just a tech stop, no traffic and no disembarking for aircraft cleaning.

Baku seems like an odd choice, given the visa requirements for EU citizens which could cause issue if the plane had to be taken out of service for any reason. Tbilisi looks to be on the flightpath and Lufthansa do operate there, which is visa free for EU passport holders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
The website says AirTanker, but I think it's the Voyager A330 derivative. Which, I learned, can carry a full load of passengers and do air-to-air refuelling. That would be a great addition to the trip to Stanley.
Bit dangerous by the standards of commercial aviation, though!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Baku seems like an odd choice, given the visa requirements for EU citizens which could cause issue if the plane had to be taken out of service for any reason. Tbilisi looks to be on the flightpath and Lufthansa do operate there, which is visa free for EU passport holders.
The original flight with Privatair went via Bucharest on one leg only. The A319 has shorter legs so needs a stop both ways for a drink.

For EU travellers this would have been no problem. Though as a non-Schengen country it would still have been a problem for Indians.

I would assume that should there be a problem in the future they would do as they do if a plane has to ditch anywhere unexpectedly; sort something out on the ground. E.g. when the Air France plane had uncontrolled engine failure, or that BA 787 recently ditched in Iqualit, or whenever something has to divert into deepest Siberia.

Though I agree they perhaps could have arranged for something like Turkey with VOA for the majority of Europeans. For Indians they still require a visa, though it's granted online if they have a Schengen stamp (which they would coming from Germany). The only hitch is they are required to travel with either Turkish Airlines or Egyptair (seems draconian).

gsnedders

Established Member
Well the pilots explained in the video I was watching that it certainly can do that. Whether they would with civilians I am not sure.
My understanding was for commercial operations they were required to have all the military equipment removed. And in many countries commercial flight regulations would forbid it for any commercial flight.

That said, certainly under military operation they're capable of it. (Is the Airbridge flight operated under military or commercial regulations?)

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/...candinavia-will-file-for-bankruptcy-tomorrow/

Yup, and reported that they have started impounding aircraft.

Again, I seem to recall a few of us on here won £5 on that one. I'll pass it to primera, they seem to need it more.

Where's that like button?!!

Also noticed the same source reporting that Ryanair is closing its bases in Bremen and Eindhoven with recent strikes being partly blamed. Both airports will continue to be served by Ryanair.

Crawley Ben

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Claiming my £5 on Primera. Only shock was it happened *after* the summer season and not before.

Sorry to read stories of passengers stranded though. :(

Crawley Ben

Scandinavian Airlines to launch a new route from Newquay to Copehagen in summer 2019 according to the local radio station Pirate FM this morning. Flights will be twice weekly (operating Monday & Friday).

Ben

vlad

Brize Norton to Falklands airbridge flight, via Ascension, must be a sure winner for a flight departing from the UK. About £2000 return in basic economy with no amenities and no fun to the other side of the world.

I take it you're not a fan of the large amount of complimentary food and drink you're offered on this flight.

Crawley Ben

Reported elsewhere that WestJet are to switch from a Boeing 767 to a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the Calgary to Gatwick route from next summer. Believe the service will be operated daily.

Cheers

Ben

berneyarms

Established Member
Also, Westjet to operate Calgary-Dublin with B787, and Aeroflot to fly daily Dublin-Moscow.

LordCreed

Today Wizz Air has introduced their new baggage policy, largely copying what Ryanair has introduced.

Details are here: https://wizzair.com/en-gb/informati...ge-policy-br-onboard-bag-guaranteed-for-all#/ and take effect from 1st November.

In essence, everyone gets a small bag however only those with priority boarding can take a larger bag in the cabin.

In my eyes it has ups and downs. The good news is there will always be space for your bags in the cabin, the bad news is that more people will purchase priority boarding and therefore meaning the priority queue is longer.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Wizz Air had this policy back in 2015 when I last used them, not sure what they have changed?

It was great on the plane, since there was so much space in the overheads. I think other firms should go down this route - greatly speeds up boarding, ends disputes over having to put hand luggage in the hold and is ideal for people who legitimately have hand luggage only.

LordCreed

I can't remember the date, but a couple of years ago they relaxed their policy to allow two bags onboard for free. Was certainly this way when I used them earlier in the year.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had a nice suprise flying from Manchester to Paris Charles De Gaulle on Saturday Night.

It was a Flybe Flight operated by Air France so got a free beer and sandwich. Suprised how busy it was an Airbus A320 almost full.

Are any Air France Flights operated by Flybe ? If so do you lose the complimentary refreshments ?

Came back on Easyjet Sunday Afternoon to Southend. Impressed by the infrastructure and the flight time of 40 minutes !!

Only let down was the clapped out Greater Anglia Train that took us into Liverpool Street. I was expecting a "Stansted Express"

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Had a nice suprise flying from Manchester to Paris Charles De Gaulle on Saturday Night.

It was a Flybe Flight operated by Air France so got a free beer and sandwich. Suprised how busy it was an Airbus A320 almost full.

Are any Air France Flights operated by Flybe ? If so do you lose the complimentary refreshments ?

This is just code sharing.

Yes, there are some Flybe flights with Air France codeshares. The fact it is a code share (or worded “XXX operated by YYY”) is communicated during the booking process, so keep an eye out for the Flybe codeshares on AF metal!

Butts

Veteran Member
I think you missed my point !!

A Flybe Flight operated by Airfrance = Free refreshments (Air France Aircraft)

An Air France Flight operated by Flybe = ? (Flybe Aircraft)

berneyarms

Established Member
I think you missed my point !!

A Flybe Flight operated by Airfrance = Free refreshments (Air France Aircraft)

An Air France Flight operated by Flybe = ? (Flybe Aircraft)

But it’s not a Flybe flight operated by Air France. It’s an Air France flight that has a Flybe code share. There is a difference!

Similarly, lots of Aer Lingus flights have BA flight numbers for example and vice versa. Different conditions re baggage and on board service can and do apply in those cases.

Code shares do not extend onboard service conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.