• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Well, most of my friends have travelled since their late teens (myself included) and continue to do so. However I know my first trip to Australia / NZ / round the world inspired a good friend to do the same for his honeymoon, and another good friend to do a similar trip (which I then joined him on!)

I do wonder if there is a north / south, or even south east / rest of the country divide on travelling like this. With access to so many destinations from the London airports, it has never been easier to get away on a cheap trip for those of us who live in the London ‘hinterland’. In the regions the flight choice isn’t so good, and of course it’s not so easy to get to many of the airports.

Luton has been bad in the past*, but it is 7 years since I had a bad experience (huge queues for everything departing and arriving, wedged departure lounge, etc). The last three times (all in the last 2 months) have been approaching perfect.

When the transit from the station opens in a couple of years, which will remove the need to go through the congested part of the station and use a (frankly awful) bus link, Luton will become an extremely attractive option from central London. St Pancras to the departure lounge will be typically 45-50 minutes (less if you use EMT), which compares very well to all other London airport options from their respective London terminii. The downside is that this increased convenience will lead to increased demand, and the ‘Luton discount’ on comparable flights will disappear. Nevertheless, added to the continued rise of easyJet and Wizz, and the stagnation of Ry*n*ir, Stansted will be extremely concerned.

* one of the first times I used Luton was back in 1999 when the new terminal had just opened. It had a revolutionary, but odd, hold baggage system at check in, where your bag went from the check in belt on to an automatic cart that was evidently ‘tagged’ with a destination, and went via some clever but complicated mini cart-railway system off to somewhere near the aircraft. The system was hopeless and forever getting blocked back. It didn’t last long.

On the North/South thing... I think you can also cut it in the direction of opportunity and general income. In the leafy parts of the north of England you will hear as much talk of South African safari and Thailand beaches as anywhere in the south. This was the same throughout childhood. However, you will also find those who do not travel, or did not, and can not. But you will find this in the south as well. I was on a flight to Amsterdam the other day with some people with broad Essex accents who had never travelled by plane before, and were a little concerned that we were over the sea (for about 15 minutes). Of course, the London airports offer more variety now, though with 27 million people passing through Manchester alone, I would think there is at least a bit of appetite to travel, even if the destination board is quite restricted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
On the North/South thing... I think you can also cut it in the direction of opportunity and general income. In the leafy parts of the north of England you will hear as much talk of South African safari and Thailand beaches as anywhere in the south. This was the same throughout childhood. However, you will also find those who do not travel, or did not, and can not. But you will find this in the south as well. I was on a flight to Amsterdam the other day with some people with broad Essex accents who had never travelled by plane before, and were a little concerned that we were over the sea (for about 15 minutes). Of course, the London airports offer more variety now, though with 27 million people passing through Manchester alone, I would think there is at least a bit of appetite to travel, even if the destination board is quite restricted.

I'd back this up with many of my Northern friends having travelled to various places mentioned. Me personally I like the short breaks so focus on Europe but that is not a geographical thing (north/south divide). Just where we are spending our money at the moment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Financing a trip is the big thing for a lot of people I find, as well as a lack of confidence. It doesn't help in my neck of the woods that Birmingham is the most convenient airport to use but the range of destinations can be poor. It's often also easier to travel across the country to the likes of Stansted for flights to the chosen destination. Which makes a holiday more expensive etc

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Financing a trip is the big thing for a lot of people I find, as well as a lack of confidence. It doesn't help in my neck of the woods that Birmingham is the most convenient airport to use but the range of destinations can be poor. It's often also easier to travel across the country to the likes of Stansted for flights to the chosen destination. Which makes a holiday more expensive etc

I think that is my point. There’s about 20million people who live within relatively easy access of the London airports, and there’s a huge range of destinations, many of which have great frequency and competition, which makes the travelling experience easier (and often cheaper - agglomeration theory in practice) than most regional airports. There’s also a very diverse population, particularly in London, which I suspect encourages people to travel more. (E.g. if you have friends who come from all over the world, you are more likely to travel to go and see where they come from, either on recommendation or to visit them). Compared to most of the rest of the country, it is therefore (generally) easier to travel abroad from the wider London / SE area than the rest of the country, and it is more likely that you would have the need / desire to travel.

I also agree that those with higher disposable incomes are more likely to travel more, but I would contend that for a similar level of disposable income, those from London / SE will travel more than those from most of the rest of the country.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Got to agree there. With so many airports within easy reach, and such a variety of destinations, it's so much easier.

I have a variety of airports reasonably close to me, which are Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham. Cardiff is almost pointless trying to go anywhere interesting/outside the UK and Ireland, Bristol's a pain with it being the other side of Bristol and with surprisingly high rail fares to/from Bristol as well, Birmingham's much easier and the cheapest to get to/from thankfully.

Manchester is also relatively easy to get to, far away enough to not class it as a 'local' airport for my location, but the flexible rail fares (not worth risking an Advance on the way home, just in case!) are major at nearly £58. Which means I'd rather go to Stansted personally!

atillathehunn

Established Member
I think that is my point. There’s about 20million people who live within relatively easy access of the London airports, and there’s a huge range of destinations, many of which have great frequency and competition, which makes the travelling experience easier (and often cheaper - agglomeration theory in practice) than most regional airports. There’s also a very diverse population, particularly in London, which I suspect encourages people to travel more. (E.g. if you have friends who come from all over the world, you are more likely to travel to go and see where they come from, either on recommendation or to visit them). Compared to most of the rest of the country, it is therefore (generally) easier to travel abroad from the wider London / SE area than the rest of the country, and it is more likely that you would have the need / desire to travel.

I also agree that those with higher disposable incomes are more likely to travel more, but I would contend that for a similar level of disposable income, those from London / SE will travel more than those from most of the rest of the country.

Ah, I think this is our point of departure. I think that you might be correct on range of destinations (i.e. Londoners travel to more diverse destinations), but I don't think it has anything to do with the marginal propensity to travel (even if to a repeat destination). While in the SE there is more diversity of people, this is an endogenous variable and cannot be used to establish causality. Now, perhaps, there is something to be said for the diversity of people in your community affecting your willingess to travel, but I'm a bit sceptical on that. This is not meant to be a representative case, but I was thinking about this a bit the other way around; I have a friend who lives in London who doesn't like to travel because he says we have the world's finest city just up the road. I'm not sure there's anywhere in the north with that level of appeal!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Got to agree there. With so many airports within easy reach, and such a variety of destinations, it's so much easier.

I have a variety of airports reasonably close to me, which are Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham. Cardiff is almost pointless trying to go anywhere interesting/outside the UK and Ireland, Bristol's a pain with it being the other side of Bristol and with surprisingly high rail fares to/from Bristol as well, Birmingham's much easier and the cheapest to get to/from thankfully.

Manchester is also relatively easy to get to, far away enough to not class it as a 'local' airport for my location, but the flexible rail fares (not worth risking an Advance on the way home, just in case!) are major at nearly £58. Which means I'd rather go to Stansted personally!
In previous posts you've hinted that you start your journey usually at Hereford station; if Birmingham isn't your flavour, I would suggest Heathrow is your next best major airport. Train to either Paddington or Reading and thence bus/Heathrow Connect. Agree that Manchester isn't a terribly convenient alternative, though has far more destinations than Birmingham.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I used it a few weeks ago - the buses from Bristol TM station to the airport use some sort of "guided system" on part of the route.

They would have been better making Filton Bristol's airport.

Each time I go to Bristol by plane I'm very grateful of the lift offered by friends or family from the airport. The bus is far too expensive for what it is.

I don't agree that the airport should have been at Filton, as the fights over noise complaints would have been terrible.

fowler9

Established Member
I live in Liverpool and have just got back from Katowice, Tychy and Bielsko-Biala which I visited with Polish friends. In the last ten years I have visited Italy with Italian friends and Spain with Spanish friends. I have visited friends and family in Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and Chile. My Brother has married a girl from Colombia. I have also been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Croatia, Bosnia, France, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Switzerland, Estonia, Latvia, Finland, Ireland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Andorra. I don't think the South has a monopoly on being well travelled or having access to such opportunities. I have friends down South who's list for the last ten years would be Malgrat De Mar and nowhere else.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Norwegian in trouble. I heard a whisper about this three weeks ago but didn’t believe it. How wrong I was!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47039303

Norwegian Air wants to raise 3bn Norwegian kroner (£268m) through a rights issue to improve its finances.

The news comes as the company announced that its preliminary earnings for 2018 showed an operating loss of roughly 3.8bn kroner.

The budget carrier said it was not in talks with any potential buyers after British Airways owner IAG abandoned its plans to buy it last week.

In early trading on Tuesday, the company's shares plunged by 16%.

Billionaire John Fredriksen and the airline's chief executive Bjorn Kjos and chairman Bjorn Kise have all agreed to underwrite the issue.

Mr Kjos explained that the airline was going to change its strategic focus from growth to making cost savings.

"We will now get in place a strengthened balance sheet that supports the further development of the company," he said.

In a statement, the airline added that this would "increase its competitiveness and stand-alone financial strength".

The carrier confirmed that flights were unaffected by the news.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
They have expanded very quickly, i suppose at some stage it has to stop. Saying that other budget airlines have fared better like easyjet and ryanair as mentioned in the article (i refuse to see a reduction from 1.2bn to 1.1bn as failing!).

atillathehunn

Established Member
Manchester airport is a mess this morning due to snow. Long haul in bounds are diverting all over (usual suspects, AMS, BHX, DUB, LHR) with a few short hauls ditching in LBA. Makes a pleasant change from Manchester being Leeds' spillover due to weather. Many cancellations all over the show. Good luck to anyone travelling.

Edit: went to check Liverpool as well, but just a few delays and one diversion to LBA. There are very few arrivals at Liverpool on a winter morning. The first one is at 07.55. I was quite surprised by that.

gsnedders

Established Member
I was meant to be flying to BRU (from EDI) this evening; that flight got cancelled last night, now flying on the same flight tomorrow; not too fussed, just gives me one less day sight-seeing before what I'm actually there for! Only actual cost to me is paying for airport parking for one too many, so not much difference.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In previous posts you've hinted that you start your journey usually at Hereford station; if Birmingham isn't your flavour, I would suggest Heathrow is your next best major airport. Train to either Paddington or Reading and thence bus/Heathrow Connect. Agree that Manchester isn't a terribly convenient alternative, though has far more destinations than Birmingham.

Thing is I like BHX, it's a decent airport and one I'd like to use more often. LHR, fantastic for spotting with the sheer variety of craft and airlines (and that was just from a couple of hours at T5, let alone the wonders that could be found at the other terminals I've yet to use) but I wasn't super impressed by T5 when I used it for departures in October 2018.

What's even more crazy is that it's cheaper for me to get to Luton and Stansted than it is to Heathrow. Unless I snag a bargain on National Express to Heathrow, which is believe it or not my preferred way to/from Heathrow on route 445 to/from Hereford. 3.5 hour journey on average, no changes (always welcome with luggage!), power sockets happily available and comfortable. Not to mention quicker than faffing around with the trains.

With the demise of HSTs on my local GWR route, and the distinct lack of comfort on the 800s, I now prefer to go via Birmingham to London. I don't like 170s, as is well known on my trip reports thread (by the way, I've started sharing my world exploration trip reports on my reports thread on the forum too) but they are much more comfortable than an 800. The 350s used on LNWR, they might not be the best for comfort, but they're still better than an 800 too! Add in lower fares in general and it's my preferred route to London now. When there's a reasonable amount of connection time, with the arrival of Tim Hortons in Birmingham that's another reason to travel that way! Yes it's a longer journey time, not as bad if connecting onto Virgin West Coast in Birmingham, but for comfort and cost reasons it's a sensible bet. Unless NX have really cheap fares to/from London, which does happen occasionally, then I'd go with them!

Anyway, enough discussing the pros and cons of various routes to London for travel to/from airports! I watched a trip report video last night of a BA A320 flight to Gibraltar, I have to admit to being very interested in that. Looks like a really nice place for a day trip, especially with the excellent runway views and so on. Very very tempted to book a quick spin out to there at some point later this year...

Speaking of which, I am planning a few days exploring Latvia and Lithuania, very much at the early stages of planning yet though, probably in Q3 2019. There will be very little surprise that I plan to fly Ryanair to/from the Baltics, although how I will get from Riga to Villinus is yet to be researched...

CC 72100

Established Member
I flew to Poznan and back with Ryanair over the weekend. Couple of points of note:

- No jingle when we arrived on time (both ways) o_O:'(

- Poznan airport arrivals was superb - plane to city bus towards the city in 10 minutes

- Poznan airport departures was dire - access to security checks was done by 1 woman with a scanner. That's right, just 1 woman and her scanner. 30 minute queue just to get into security

- Arrival was into Bristol old terminal (not those remote stands were you get the long corridor with "800 metres to passport control" on the wall), which was a pleasant surprise. Landed 17:15, on stand by 17:25, on A1 bus towards city by 17:40. For the first time ever at a UK airport in my experience all the e-gates were actually working :o

- The new sky interior on the 737s is great - more legroom (loads of legroom!), nice and calm lighting. Seats look suspiciously Hitachi/800-esque but were perfectly comfortable for the 2 hour flight and at least it is the 'with padding' version ;)

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thing is I like BHX, it's a decent airport and one I'd like to use more often. LHR, fantastic for spotting with the sheer variety of craft and airlines (and that was just from a couple of hours at T5, let alone the wonders that could be found at the other terminals I've yet to use) but I wasn't super impressed by T5 when I used it for departures in October 2018.

What's even more crazy is that it's cheaper for me to get to Luton and Stansted than it is to Heathrow. Unless I snag a bargain on National Express to Heathrow, which is believe it or not my preferred way to/from Heathrow on route 445 to/from Hereford. 3.5 hour journey on average, no changes (always welcome with luggage!), power sockets happily available and comfortable. Not to mention quicker than faffing around with the trains.

With the demise of HSTs on my local GWR route, and the distinct lack of comfort on the 800s, I now prefer to go via Birmingham to London. I don't like 170s, as is well known on my trip reports thread (by the way, I've started sharing my world exploration trip reports on my reports thread on the forum too) but they are much more comfortable than an 800. The 350s used on LNWR, they might not be the best for comfort, but they're still better than an 800 too! Add in lower fares in general and it's my preferred route to London now. When there's a reasonable amount of connection time, with the arrival of Tim Hortons in Birmingham that's another reason to travel that way! Yes it's a longer journey time, not as bad if connecting onto Virgin West Coast in Birmingham, but for comfort and cost reasons it's a sensible bet. Unless NX have really cheap fares to/from London, which does happen occasionally, then I'd go with them!

Anyway, enough discussing the pros and cons of various routes to London for travel to/from airports! I watched a trip report video last night of a BA A320 flight to Gibraltar, I have to admit to being very interested in that. Looks like a really nice place for a day trip, especially with the excellent runway views and so on. Very very tempted to book a quick spin out to there at some point later this year...

Speaking of which, I am planning a few days exploring Latvia and Lithuania, very much at the early stages of planning yet though, probably in Q3 2019. There will be very little surprise that I plan to fly Ryanair to/from the Baltics, although how I will get from Riga to Villinus is yet to be researched...

There really isn't a terribly large amount to do in Gibralter so I wouldn't bother. The only thing of note, really, is the airport and its quite unique approach and airport procedure (the road in the runway, pour example). I'm not sure it's worth a special day trip though. Aside from that Gibralter can be quite down at heel, long queues, and monkeys. There are plenty of other places much nicer for either a day trip or a weekend away. Many, many, many.

I believe there are trains or buses between Riga and Vilnius. I don't have first hand experience, though. Flying Air Baltic might just yield a A220 which I think would be a bit more interesting than a Ryanair 737.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I flew to Poznan and back with Ryanair over the weekend. Couple of points of note:

- No jingle when we arrived on time (both ways) o_O:'(

- Poznan airport arrivals was superb - plane to city bus towards the city in 10 minutes

- Poznan airport departures was dire - access to security checks was done by 1 woman with a scanner. That's right, just 1 woman and her scanner. 30 minute queue just to get into security

- Arrival was into Bristol old terminal (not those remote stands were you get the long corridor with "800 metres to passport control" on the wall), which was a pleasant surprise. Landed 17:15, on stand by 17:25, on A1 bus towards city by 17:40. For the first time ever at a UK airport in my experience all the e-gates were actually working :o

- The new sky interior on the 737s is great - more legroom (loads of legroom!), nice and calm lighting. Seats look suspiciously Hitachi/800-esque but were perfectly comfortable for the 2 hour flight and at least it is the 'with padding' version ;)

The jingle seems to be very intermittent.

The e-gates at Manchester have been far more reliable recently. STN was working too. Cologne was very irritating recently, with it stalling and crashing regularly with people forced to go to the 1 human being available for manual checking. Useless arrivals area.

fowler9

Established Member

Riga I thought very little of, I have mates who would say worse. Vilnius I have heard very good things about along synchronizing places to visit. I have few intentions to visit Latvia again, Lithuania is still on the list.

As for my most recent trip JLA was absolutely fine on the way out, had no problems with my 34l rucksack going on the cabin. HA-LYN was a pretty new A-320 on the way out. One weird thing was that I was fast asleep on the way out and was woken by us touching down at which point I fastened my safety belt. Katowice airport was fine.

Return journey we got to Katowice airport at about 02:00. The airport was lovely, had a few beers and dozed. No problems with my on the edge of the limit rucksack again. HA-LPZ was a slightly older A-320 and felt a lot more cramped.

Bit surprising to hear JLA was shut this morning in conditions that looked similar to Katowice on the way in and out, it was also a decent bit warmer in Liverpool. Wizzair were fine. Bit surprised that I was allowed to land without being belted in, bit of an oversight oversight by the cabin crew. Flight was a bargain, the newer plane on the way out was more comfy.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input on Riga, sounds like it'll be a case of landing, into the city, a few hours of walking around exploring and a meal before the coach to Villinus.

I looked that bit up earlier after my last post, only 4 hours/300km apparently and is nice and cheap. A further bit of research, not a lot yet, suggested Villinus would be worth spending more time in. At the moment, my route is basically BHX/STN to Riga, onwards by coach (gives me a good opportunity to see the countries) to Villinus, then Villinus back to either BHX or STN, whichever works out best for times. Two countries in one trip and easy enough to fit into just a few days.

I would look to fly Air Baltic, but last time I looked at them their prices were too high for what I would get. So I'll happily fly Ryanair and their 737s instead. I might even start choosing the dates tonight before I head to work...

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thanks for the input on Riga, sounds like it'll be a case of landing, into the city, a few hours of walking around exploring and a meal before the coach to Villinus.

I looked that bit up earlier after my last post, only 4 hours/300km apparently and is nice and cheap. A further bit of research, not a lot yet, suggested Villinus would be worth spending more time in. At the moment, my route is basically BHX/STN to Riga, onwards by coach (gives me a good opportunity to see the countries) to Villinus, then Villinus back to either BHX or STN, whichever works out best for times. Two countries in one trip and easy enough to fit into just a few days.

I would look to fly Air Baltic, but last time I looked at them their prices were too high for what I would get. So I'll happily fly Ryanair and their 737s instead. I might even start choosing the dates tonight before I head to work...

Of all the cities up there the one worth spending the most time in is Tallinn. But I think you've been there?

It's going to be quite a diverse year in terms of countries visited this year, Tech.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Of all the cities up there the one worth spending the most time in is Tallinn. But I think you've been there?

It's going to be quite a diverse year in terms of countries visited this year, Tech.

Yeah I did Tallinn in October 2018. Nice city that was fair play. I've started looking at flights for Latvia and Lithuania, I *might* book that on Friday morning once I get back from work. I have a week off in March to do something with, and as I'm already up north anyway I might have to take advantage of that. We'll see what happens eh, I've got two more shifts to think about it first, but there is a good chance it'll be announced on Friday morning...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Vilnius: go to the technology museum just over the river. Hugely underrated gem.

Thanks for the tip, shall have to try to remember that. Quite, I need to start learning to post separate threads for tips etc on my upcoming trips, which I might do tomorrow if I book the next trip after work. I did look at using AirBaltic but it's not terribly convenient on this occasion.

Crawley Ben

Turkish Airlines to launch a new service to Antalya from Gatwick in April. Flights will be twice weekly on Thursdays and Saturdays (guessing Boeing 737's to be used).

Cheers

Ben

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thanks for the tip, shall have to try to remember that. Quite, I need to start learning to post separate threads for tips etc on my upcoming trips, which I might do tomorrow if I book the next trip after work. I did look at using AirBaltic but it's not terribly convenient on this occasion.

Another musing on a Baltic trip. LOT are starting a Vilnius to LCY route (no, I don't really know why either). However, it would certainly be an interesting option.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another musing on a Baltic trip. LOT are starting a Vilnius to LCY route (no, I don't really know why either). However, it would certainly be an interesting option.

Well that would be a good route to try! I've booked LBA-VNO and VNO-LTN with Ryanair, even with a 10kg hold bag each way I've got the flights for less than £60. Accommodation is only a basic place but for the two nights less than £20. Bargain!

I was going to add Riga to the trip, but the bargain homeward flight was not being missed out on so it can wait for another time!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Evening all,

I'm not sure how I've only just got around to asking about this, and given there's a lot of expert flyers on this thread it seems appropriate to seek advice here.

As you all know (I've gone on about it so much about it here and on social media), I'm off to Sydney in a little over a month's time. I was thinking about the following question earlier this afternoon, although how it came to mind I have no idea:

I've never flown on anything other than direct flights before, never had to make a connecting flight as I've never had to. Lucky me! Anyway, my journey takes me from Manchester to Sydney with Etihad on the first two legs and Virgin Australia for the third and final leg of the outward journey. So my question is this:

As I have hold luggage, will I have to collect it at Abu Dhabi during my 2 and a bit hour connection to re-check it in, or will I check it in at Manchester for it to checked all the way through? Especially given I change airlines at Brisbane, might this mean my 2 and a bit hour connection (going from the international terminal to the domestic terminal) is basically picking up my hold luggage and racing off to get it re-checked in?

I'm rather hopeful it'll be checked in once at Manchester all the way through, as the connection times aren't all that huge after all and my priority is making sure I get off one flight and onto the next one.

I will be prepared for a lost bag, don't worry, with spare clothes in my carry on bag as well, just in case. Same for a phone charger of course.

I've even spent time today to make a checklist of everything I need to get packed for both Sydney and Vilinus, which is a first for me! When it comes to packing day, 8th March is when I've pencilled that in for, then I'll go through it to ensure I don't have make the same mistake I did with the trip to Tallinn! I'd pack today to be honest, as the whole process usually only takes me about an hour at most. I'd certainly be ready for the trip that way! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.