Aviation Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by trentside, 25 Mar 2012.

1. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Fair enough on the coffee thing, it depends on the journey for me (if it started the day before and I was awake all night, then coffee on board, if I've had time before it and a flight at a good hour, I may not, depending on flight length) but I do love my coffee! I average at least 5 cups a day, again depending on what I'm doing (a 16+ hour day of bashing or a full day at work needs lots of coffee, a day at home but with a fair bit to do I can manage on 3) and the size of the cups varies. As does how strong it is, how much sugar is in it...

If you're not paying for the flights, fair game, but I would be trying to influence the booker using experience of different airlines etc. Just as well I travel solo eh? :lol:

Cockpit size has no real bearing on passengers though! I must admit I was surprised how small a 737-800 cockpit is, but once you're sat down surely you don't need a mansion?! A few extra inches to get in/out would no doubt be better though. Is there actually much difference between Boeing and Airbus with cockpit size?

Ah yes, "if it's not Boeing, I ain't going" is one of my favourite expressions. I'm going to be suffering an Airbus tomorrow for about 15 hours (not including the time on board before/after) which goes against my Boeing desires, but flight times etc ruled the decision making on this occasion. 4 out of 5 flights on this trip will have been on Boeing craft, not bad for a trip to the other side of the world.

As for overhead luggage lockers, I didn't see them being bigger on my Airbus craft in October than on newer Boeing craft. Admittedly I paid little attention on those BA flights to them as my bag comfortably fitted under the seat in front of me. Just as well, given how on both flights to/from Tallinn BA made repeated announcements about asking passengers to put their luggage in the hold for free. I even got an email asking me to do so before I got to Heathrow! I already had hold luggage anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me.

I also didn't notice an aisle on the A321 that was wider than on a 737-800. If it was indeed wider it wasn't noticeable to me!

2. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

I once worked with a girl who said she had never been on a real aeroplane, just an Airbus. I had to explain that Airbus is the name of the company that built it not something that is different from an aeroplane .

For the record my most pleasant flight was on an LAN Airbus A340 from Auckland to Santiago. Sat near the back on the outer two seats. Absolutely bags of space. The cabin crew were amazing and we got free bubbly because it was Christmas Eve.

I believe the 767 is quite roomy but alas I have never had the pleasure.

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

To be fair the 787 is an excellent aircraft - particularly the windows, which solve the problem I always have on long-hauls of wanting to see out when everyone else is asleep, and are huge - it almost feels like a big flying Pendolino. My long-haul second favourite is the now-almost-classic 777. But I do think Airbus have the edge on smaller craft.

With the Boeing Sky Interior they're the same size. On older Boeings they are much smaller, hence why Ryanair's bag size was classically 55x40x20 and easyJet's 56x45x25. (easyJet switched to the latter size once most of their fleet was switched to Airbus, prior to that it was the same as Ryanair for the same reason).

It's not much, but it does make a difference to squeezing past trolleys if you want a wee, or for two people passing, hence why easyJet specified the wide aisle.

According to SeatGuru, easyJet's seats are 18" wide (to the armrest centre I think), Ryanair are 17". I have a feeling (but don't know which airlines still have that interior) that the original A320 seats before the low-costs came along were 18.5". So it's only an extra 3" on the aisle, but it does make a difference.

4. Bletchleyite

(I didn't know easyJet's were about 1" wider - this might well be why they feel like they have more legroom while in fact Ryanair do)

5. Techniquest

Fair enough on the Airbus width, I've never checked to be honest. I've only based it on my experience.

Agreed on 787s and their windows, they're brilliant. I'm on a 777 home tomorrow morning on EY21 from AUH, booked for a -300 I'm informed. I can't remember for sure, but I think G-VIIP with BA was a 777-200. Should be interesting to see what a -3 is like!

6. Bletchleyite

Just long - very long! :)

7. Techniquest

Fair game! Hopefully it'll be a good ride. I would be checked in by now, but while I could check in last night for my A380 flight I couldn't without paying silly money for the Manchester flight. Found a seat for £20 which I'd have paid, but Etihad tried charging much more than that. No thanks! So I'm chancing a good seat when I check in at 11am, still ages to wait yet.

I'm still torn between a window seat for my first A380 or an aisle seat. I usually prefer aisle seats on overnight flights so I don't have to wake anyone up for access to the lavatories, but it's my first A380...See what I can get I suppose!

To be honest I seriously doubt I'll ever fly Etihad again. I have not been impressed. I see why people recommed Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Qantas over Etihad. Indeed, part of me wishes I'd booked with Phillipines instead, as despite an all-Airbus routing I'd have got an A350. Mind you, given the choice I'd have gone with Virgin!

8. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

They're not as good as Emirates, but better than BA. Depends on the crew. A daytime Edinburgh-Abu Dhabi flight was very meh, service very mediocre, but then on a red eye return they couldn't do enough.

9. Techniquest

I had better with BA than on my 3 Etihad flights so far (one more to go shortly on EY21 1100 AUH-MAN). All 3 crews have been rather lacking, hopefully the last one will be better.

As for the A380, I'll post a fuller review soon but I wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. Some pros to it but I preferred the 787s.

10. Agent_Squash

Agent_Squash Member

Could always go for ‘If it’s Boeing, I ain’t going’

11. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

Apologies if I am repeating myself but I found BA's cabin crew very surly and the two A320's, the 747 and the 777 I flew on very shabby. The headrests on both long haul flights were hanging off. Really very poor. Unless they were dirt cheap I wouldn't use them again.

12. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Excellent! I shall stick to that Philosophy where possible ;)

13. ian959

ian959 Member

Exactly what I felt about a flight from LGW to ORL many years ago on a BA 747.. aircraft interior seemed to be falling apart, cabin crew were awful (especially when the kid in the seat next to me developed an obvious medical condition)... vowed to never fly BA again, and so far never had the need to do so.

14. atillathehunn

atillathehunn Established Member

I find BA crews to be either utterly awful, or brilliant. There is so few datapoints in the middle. It's not that I want to chat, or know your hopes and dreams, just do the job and don't be hostile. I actually found really quite decent crews on Air France recently. I was surprised. Their English was dreadful so we talked French, but they were solidly in the middle. Exactly what I ask for.

As for the planes... yes, the unrefurbished low-J 747s and the older 777s are utter rubbish. But then crossing the Atlantic, they're still better than AA or UA, on a bar with Norwegian though Delta is better. Heading east there is loads of superior competition, unless it's a route with their A380, which is pretty good. Heading to South Africa, BA knocks spots off of SAA who can best be described as surly. Short haul, the only vague redeeming feature is the frequent flyer programme. Even then, it's no great shakes.

15. LOL The Irony

SAA were screwed over by the Zuma government. His personal "fire supression system" and "fire engine" along with his other issues, put SAA where they are today.

16. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

Expand on this, please

17. LOL The Irony

Zuma was a bit cheeky with the government's purse and built himself a swimming pool and alledgedly, a Ferrari. Also, the SA government are also at fault for splitting SAA from Transnet.

18. Agent_Squash

Agent_Squash Member

BA new club world announced today. Looks much better than the old one!