• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
How much time would I need to allow at Edinburgh at the moment for an early BA flight, UK domestic, no hand baggage?

To be on the safe side I'd get there an hour before take off , however I've done it in thirty minutes as they rarely board at the advertised time. Just make sure you have checked in online and can go straight to security.

I take it you have no hold baggage ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My point was that airlines which traditionally served the region from Europe are doing so in fewer and fewer numbers.

Codesharing and global alliances have done for "direct" flights. And it makes sense, it's more efficient to use alliance partners for the last bit from the Middle/Far East to the Pacific, if you're going to have to empty, refuel and re-crew the plane anyway. The only exceptions really are UK-Australia and France-French Polynesia; the latter still exists mainly for political reasons and the former only really has BA15/BA16 now, other options being via a Cathay Pacific codeshare.

berneyarms

Established Member
Codesharing and global alliances have done for "direct" flights. And it makes sense, it's more efficient to use alliance partners for the last bit from the Middle/Far East to the Pacific, if you're going to have to empty, refuel and re-crew the plane anyway. The only exceptions really are UK-Australia and France-French Polynesia; the latter still exists mainly for political reasons and the former only really has BA15/BA16 now, other options being via a Cathay Pacific codeshare.
I actually listed the remaining ones in my original post!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hope to go to Japan in 2021 - please do report back as to what is like re practicalities of getting around, how you cope with the language etc. :)

I should have a trip report for this trip, and I will of course be commenting on the local travel aspect too. Language barrier is going to be interesting, and I really must make an effort to learn some more basic words if nothing else.

That's right, Singapore is squeaky clean and everything works perfectly*, - but it gets boring after a day and a half.
*Changi airport is a model of excellence, and one of the few places that should be so. No complaints there!

Certainly it looks like it could get boring after not long, but then I've never really looked too carefully at what can be done over there. Not a part of the world I'm overly interested in!

Me too, it's the last major item on my current bucket list. My thinking is that an Olympic year might not be the best time to go there.

Nice work on almost clearing your bucket list, mine's close to empty but the last ones are going to cost a fortune!

Only doing Tokyo on this trip, if I like it there I may return to Japan to see more of it one day. Not looking overly likely though!

gsnedders

Established Member
How much time would I need to allow at Edinburgh at the moment for an early BA flight, UK domestic, no hold baggage?
I'd be totally happy arriving an hour before; even 45 minutes I wouldn't be stressing about. In the early morning during the week security tends to move fast (it's largely business people to London who know what to do at security). For me honestly I often end up with a larger buffer not trusting traffic or public transport to get me there at a given time!

AM9

Veteran Member
... Nice work on almost clearing your bucket list, mine's close to empty but the last ones are going to cost a fortune!
Maybe I don't have as long to clear it as you. Also, it is a live thing, and a browse through the weekend travel supplements or catching one of Portillo's overseas jaunts can cause me to research potentially new candidates.
... Only doing Tokyo on this trip, if I like it there I may return to Japan to see more of it one day. Not looking overly likely though!
My intention is to see Kyoto and some other places on Honshu, but also do the Akihabara. Internal travel will of course, include Shinkansen. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I really need to figure out a way to sample a Bullet Train next month.

I might well have more time than you or others to clear my Bucket List, but I want to get it done ASAP. Still not figured out why the rush but it's happening.

Whenever I watch an aviation trip report or watch various travel documentaries I do keep adding to my list, like today I had a look at the cover of a Jet2 brochure which came in the post yesterday. Halkidiki certainly caught my eye as a result! St Maarten is still one on my 'nice to do' list, as is completing a loop around the world. No doubt they'll get added to the Bucket List!

AM9

Veteran Member
I really need to figure out a way to sample a Bullet Train next month.

I might well have more time than you or others to clear my Bucket List, but I want to get it done ASAP. Still not figured out why the rush but it's happening.

Whenever I watch an aviation trip report or watch various travel documentaries I do keep adding to my list, like today I had a look at the cover of a Jet2 brochure which came in the post yesterday. Halkidiki certainly caught my eye as a result! St Maarten is still one on my 'nice to do' list, as is completing a loop around the world. No doubt they'll get added to the Bucket List!
St Maarten is both amazing yet unremarkable. I'll explain:
We've all seen the shots from Maho beach as the KLM 747s come in to land. The sight of such a big plane sweeping across the beach road so low is quite disturbing, but if you've watched a few from the bar on the Simpson Bay side, and scale the plane, the wheels are about 50ft above beach level, bear in mind that the tail fin is over 60 ft from the ground when on wheels. What is worth watching is when a Learjet or a Cessna comes in low. I've seen those about 25 ft. Now that is low, and that size of aircraft doesn't need the just over 7000ft of runway available to stop. The KLM pilots seem to get the 747s down on the threshold markings so their rate of descent is quite steep.
According to the pilots, landing there is nothing special for a shortish runway and the presence of all the nutters on the beach is no different to those airports where enthusiasts park on a perimeter road at the end of the runway. We went there on a DH Dash 8 which obviously had no problems landing, but the beach might as well be a grass field.
What is daft is the way people cling to the fence when a big jet takes off. The blast form a large widebody is not only strong, but the pollutants are terrible. Even those standing back on the beach get a fair old sandblasting.
Still the island is good fun, not so much the French side where they are a bit sniffy but Simpsons Bay is great.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Last year we discussed the BA seat replacement scheme; can anyone tell me if A321 G-MEDN has the old or the new interior please? I suspect it's the new as the back row had no windows but the seats are certainly very comfortable which would seem to contradict what people were saying about the new ones last year.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Always need to be careful when checking an airframe history before boarding!

I was in 8F so I was able to eyeball that the cowl latches were in the correct position!

However, I'm a bit annoyed as I forked out the £12 each for seats further back ( rows 21 and 22 for an unobstructed view ) and as there wasn't an equipment change, I am a bit puzzled as to why we were in 8 and 9 instead... I shall be claiming the £48 back from BA...

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I was in 8F so I was able to eyeball that the cowl latches were in the correct position!

However, I'm a bit annoyed as I fotrked out the £12 each for seats further back ( rows 21 and 22 for an unobstructed view ) and as there wasn't an equipment change, I am a bit puzzled as to why we were in 8 and 9 instead... I shall be claiming the £48 back from BA...

BA will only refund you if they gave you a replacement that wasn’t equivalent (for example, you paid for extra legroom but didn’t get it, or paid for a bulkhead and didn’t get it). I don’t think they will consider failing to see the engine as non-equivalent.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
BA will only refund you if they gave you a replacement that wasn’t equivalent (for example, you paid for extra legroom but didn’t get it, or paid for a bulkhead and didn’t get it). I don’t think they will consider failing to see the engine as non-equivalent.

Typical BA. Hence my boycott.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've had a direct e-mail back this evening from a very senior person in BA who will investigate this personally... :D

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Does anyone know if the you can US pre clearence in Dublin if you are transferring at Dublin and not originating. Might sound like an odd question but Google wasn't forthcoming, also about whether it applies to all US destinations.

I have a vague memory of someone telling me it was only for new york but I think i might be making it up.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Does anyone know if the you can US pre clearence in Dublin if you are transferring at Dublin and not originating. Might sound like an odd question but Google wasn't forthcoming, also about whether it applies to all US destinations.

I have a vague memory of someone telling me it was only for new york but I think i might be making it up.
Yes even if transiting. And as far as I know all US destinations.

berneyarms

Established Member

Yes all passengers pre-clear to all US destinations flown directly from Dublin and Shannon. The flights effectively arrive as domestic flights in the US.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Yes all passengers pre-clear to all US destinations flown directly from Dublin and Shannon. The flights effectively arrive as domestic flights in the US.
Including the all business class babybus BA flight from London City to JFK that stops in Shannon for fuel. Passengers disembark and clear customs and immigration even though non of them are originating in Ireland.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Including the all business class babybus BA flight from London City to JFK that stops in Shannon for fuel. Passengers disembark and clear customs and immigration even though non of them are originating in Ireland.

I must do that one day. BA1.

FQTV

I want to do that one too, but I would imagine it costs a fortune to do!

Avios availability is often reasonably good on the route, and it usually features in sales, too.

It also has a habit of cropping up on ex-EU offers as well, typically from Dublin.

That obviously makes little sense from a practical point of view, but can be worth it if you want to have the 'experience'.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just looked it up there - at least £5000 return for June 2020.

Jeeeeeez! I'm not willing to pay that much for such a flight, no way!

Avios availability is often reasonably good on the route, and it usually features in sales, too.

It also has a habit of cropping up on ex-EU offers as well, typically from Dublin.

That obviously makes little sense from a practical point of view, but can be worth it if you want to have the 'experience'.

I would hope it's very good business class! One day I may be able to afford it, doubtful and I should spend that money far more wisely over a couple of years on more adventures.

Talking of, amazing first flight with Japan Airlines. Incredible legroom, reasonably comfortable seat for a 787, good quality pillow and blanket, headphones were basic but surprisingly good. Crew were excellent, with a warm welcome, friendly service throughout and a nice farewell too. Beautiful cabin too, and even in the very last row (I was in 59G) the recline was good. IFE worked brilliantly, with nicely fast responses, the timekeeping on the flight was fantastic. Oh and boarding was organised and done quickly but efficiently. The only bit bad was the food and lack of sleep, but it happens!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Jeeeeeez! I'm not willing to pay that much for such a flight, no way!

I've been inside one of those 318s on the ground at Farnborough; the interior is more like an executive jet than an airliner. Now, if the flight number BA1 still applied to the aircraft it used to, would you have been prepared to pay that much, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.