• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Possibly...

BTW The new Berlin airport has announced with 3 weeks to opening that they will be unable to open due to a complete SNARFU with the Fire Suppression system that will take a couple of months to sort out.

Lufthansa and Air Berlin were going to be starting a load of new services with connections via the airport that were not possible at Tegel (Tegel is at the limit of capacity). Given the lack of notice this is going to disrupt a lot of peoples plans.

flymo

Established Member
Well I had my first A380 flight today courtesy of Emirates. This was part of the return leg from Newcastle - Hong Kong.

The first part of the journey from Newcastle - Dubai was in an A330-200 reg A6-EAS (same one I flew DXB-NCL on 2 weeks ago). Incidentally this flew over Iraq and skirted Baghdad by about 20 miles. I still thought this was a no fly zone for airlines, obviously not. The northbound trip a couple of weeks ago we flew over Iran, Georgia and Poland.

Then the A380, reg A6-EDT from DXB - HKG via Bangkok (BKK) as EK384. I was pleasantly surprised with the A380 interior and the layout, it is 3-4-3 in cattle class on EK. The in flight entertainment system is superb with an amazing choice of movies, TV show, Drama and other shows. The best thing is the outside cameras mounted on the tail, nose and underside. These offer amazing views, more so at take off and landing. I took some photos and videos of the screen during a couple of take off/landings. I know I shouldn't what with electronic gizmos being switched off, I just couldn't resist. Maybe I'll upload them to YouTube in time if they are any good.

Another thing that interested me today was the stop in Bangkok. I was travelling through from DXB-HKG and asked one of the cabin crew about the stop and if I needed to de-plane but no, the few of us that were going all the way just stayed on the plane while it was being cleaned. I estimate about 95% of the people on the plane from Dubai left the plane at Bangkok and a new plane load boarded. All of this in just over an hour. There were few if any seats empty on either leg suggesting that something like the A380 could also work on short(ish) hops not just long range. BKK-HKG was only 2 hours yet was almost fully loaded (at least in economy) with people boarding at Bangkok. How many came from other origins and flying onto other destinations, i.e. not O&D, I cannot say though.

Attached are 2 screen photos, the first in flight from Dubai - Bangkok
View attachment 11426

The second after push back from BKK departing for HKG.
View attachment 11427

All in all a fab day. Anti-jetlag (Beer) time.....:D

WatcherZero

Established Member
Russian Superjet 100 dissapeared 20 minutes after takeoff during sales tour of Indonesia. 40 people on board.
Pilots requested permission to descend from 10,000 to 6,000 feet and it went off radar, time wise it will now have passed critical fuel point but theres been some suggestion it may have been hijacked.

LE Greys

Established Member
I thought this article on the BBC website may be of interest, debating whether the airport has become too stressful. I can sympathise with some of the points made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17988650

It isn't security that gets me, it's all the flagrant abuse of a captive market. Some people such as myself have simple tastes. What we want to pass the time is a cheap cup of tea and a biscuit, or if we get hungry, something along the ham sandwich or egg-and-chip lines. We don't want Gordon Ramsey restaurants or other expensive stuff, where is the cheap and cheerful? As for the rest, it's like a shopping centre, and I absolutely hate shopping!

That and the fact that the destination boards in Heathrow Terminal 5 need an image intensifier to read them, plus the fact that only 10% of all immigration desks ever seem to be manned. This is why I try to travel from Gatwick if I can.

Ascot

Established Member
The problem I find with security isn't the procedures but the height of summer. First year of being on the road I got stuck behind 6 charter flights at security with no fast-track one day, the amount of metal detectors and liquids going made a 3 minute queue into 50 minutes. Since Birmingham have introduced fast-track last season it's returned to the 15 minute train to lounge jobbie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought this article on the BBC website may be of interest, debating whether the airport has become too stressful. I can sympathise with some of the points made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17988650

Common complaints include confusing signs, chaotic carousel crowding, rampant profiteering, having to remove shoes at security, lack of free wi-fi and lack of information on delays and cancellations.

All valid issues.

The signs at T5 are confusing as there are so few, and often positioned where you wouldn't expect to look. I've said before that if you come into the airport from the Heathrow Express, having already checked in, you can't easily see the route to departures as it's DIRECTLY in front of you - and the signs are written on the sides of the pillar in front - so until you go forward and walk left/right and look back, you'll not notice.

There are many other examples, both land and air side.

Crowding around carousels is partly down to how rude people are these days and how stupid people are. If everyone stood back and stepped forward to get their bag, everything would move very quickly. Instead, these idiots all stand at the edge, which means people can't get their bag and those who see their bag can't easily grab it without having to crash into the other people who would sooner sit on the belt than wait from a small distance.

Security is good at some airports and not at others. Gatwick's South Terminal is awesome. T5 at LHR is also pretty good, so hopefully that will improve. Taking off shoes and belts, or taking out laptops, is a pain. It's rather silly that you must take out laptops, yet I'll travel with one or two tablets and three or four mobile phones, plus chargers and other cables. I guess the rules haven't been updated for tablets and other modern computing equipment.

Free Wi-Fi; I guess it's acceptable to have a charge for this, but to make it much easier to get short-term access (and cheaper). I'd sooner use a mobile data connection these days, which offers more security too. Instead of free Wi-Fi, I'd rather ensure good 3G coverage throughout the buildings. I guess that foreign users would want Wi-Fi though, to avoid hefty roaming charges.

Lack of information - thank God it's not just the railways! These days, there are loads of apps to give you accurate flight information, which includes checking the inbound flight that makes your outbound departure. It's then very easy to predict the delays when staff at the gate won't tell you. Sadly, this means only a select few get to obtain the information while others are left in the dark.

Immigration is another complaint and one I've had long before it got 'big' in the media. I remember the long queues at Stansted going back years, and I'm disappointed how they never really bothered with IRIS and went with a range of other options that are pretty unreliable. Every time I come back to the UK, having been to some wonderful cities around the world, I always get the feeling of 'Boy do we suck' and feel ashamed at how visitors must get such a poor first impression. And that's me coming in as an EU citizen!

In contrast, things have improved loads when you go to the US. They're also so much more polite than I remember, from shortly after 9/11. I guess I can't speak for every US state or airport though, but they do seem to want to welcome you. Ditto when I went to Australia, and China, and Japan....

It isn't security that gets me, it's all the flagrant abuse of a captive market. Some people such as myself have simple tastes. What we want to pass the time is a cheap cup of tea and a biscuit, or if we get hungry, something along the ham sandwich or egg-and-chip lines. We don't want Gordon Ramsey restaurants or other expensive stuff.

I guess BAA and the like figure that you concentrate on:

- The rich passengers who will buy any tat as long as it's expensive (and has a label). Often goods that aren't any cheaper, or are 'special editions' so the prices can't even be compared with elsewhere.
- The business traveller obliged to get a gift for their husband/wife/children and didn't get a chance to do it while they were in the country they just visited.
- The businessman who is buying something nice for his mistress or secretary on that overseas conference, or for the wife at home because they feel guilty for having been up to no good.
- The people who still believe everything in duty free is a bargain and not even thinking to compare the prices with what you could get online or even on the high street. It's also more convenient to buy these things when you're not then stuck carrying it on your flight and for the whole trip.

Everyone else, like the family going on holiday that wants a cheap meal before flying is ignored! BAA probably charge these companies a fair few quid to be there too.

Heathrow now has loads of expensive labels and boutiques, so I now try and get through to departures as late as humanly possible! In other words, I've gone from spending a little to as little as possible.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
All valid issues.

The signs at T5 are confusing as there are so few, and often positioned where you wouldn't expect to look. I've said before that if you come into the airport from the Heathrow Express, having already checked in, you can't easily see the route to departures as it's DIRECTLY in front of you - and the signs are written on the sides of the pillar in front - so until you go forward and walk left/right and look back, you'll not notice.

There are many other examples, both land and air side.

Crowding around carousels is partly down to how rude people are these days and how stupid people are. If everyone stood back and stepped forward to get their bag, everything would move very quickly. Instead, these idiots all stand at the edge, which means people can't get their bag and those who see their bag can't easily grab it without having to crash into the other people who would sooner sit on the belt than wait from a small distance.

Security is good at some airports and not at others. Gatwick's South Terminal is awesome. T5 at LHR is also pretty good, so hopefully that will improve. Taking off shoes and belts, or taking out laptops, is a pain. It's rather silly that you must take out laptops, yet I'll travel with one or two tablets and three or four mobile phones, plus chargers and other cables. I guess the rules haven't been updated for tablets and other modern computing equipment.

Free Wi-Fi; I guess it's acceptable to have a charge for this, but to make it much easier to get short-term access (and cheaper). I'd sooner use a mobile data connection these days, which offers more security too. Instead of free Wi-Fi, I'd rather ensure good 3G coverage throughout the buildings. I guess that foreign users would want Wi-Fi though, to avoid hefty roaming charges.

Lack of information - thank God it's not just the railways! These days, there are loads of apps to give you accurate flight information, which includes checking the inbound flight that makes your outbound departure. It's then very easy to predict the delays when staff at the gate won't tell you. Sadly, this means only a select few get to obtain the information while others are left in the dark.

Immigration is another complaint and one I've had long before it got 'big' in the media. I remember the long queues at Stansted going back years, and I'm disappointed how they never really bothered with IRIS and went with a range of other options that are pretty unreliable. Every time I come back to the UK, having been to some wonderful cities around the world, I always get the feeling of 'Boy do we suck' and feel ashamed at how visitors must get such a poor first impression. And that's me coming in as an EU citizen!

In contrast, things have improved loads when you go to the US. They're also so much more polite than I remember, from shortly after 9/11. I guess I can't speak for every US state or airport though, but they do seem to want to welcome you. Ditto when I went to Australia, and China, and Japan....

My camera had caused no end of problems. It's an old Minolta X-300, and if I have the 400mm lens with me for wildlife work, it's heavy, yet it has to go with me because it is fragile. Sometimes, it goes through no problem. Others, they have to get every single lens out and check it individually, which takes a long time. There's also the fact that I still use film, and that gets questioned sometimes if they want to check the images. (Why?)

Whoever designed Terminal 5 seems to have forgotten all the lessons of years of flow dynamics with people. It's partly because they want people to walk through the shopping areas, but that costs time to those in a hurry. As for the carousels, people don't seem to know how to spread out, and they obviously don't trust people not to walk off with their luggage.

Also, what was wrong with the massive information boards that we used to have? I suppose that it would reduce available advertising space, but there is plenty of space to mount a King's Cross-style (or old Terminal 1-style) board air-side.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Russian Superjet 100 dissapeared 20 minutes after takeoff during sales tour of Indonesia. 40 people on board.
Pilots requested permission to descend from 10,000 to 6,000 feet and it went off radar, time wise it will now have passed critical fuel point but theres been some suggestion it may have been hijacked.

Sadly, the wreckage has now been found with no sign of any survivors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18015534

WestCoast

Established Member
In contrast, things have improved loads when you go to the US. They're also so much more polite than I remember, from shortly after 9/11. I guess I can't speak for every US state or airport though, but they do seem to want to welcome you. .

It's not just Heathrow or the UK. I waited 2 hours at immigration control at New York JFK after a flurry of arrivals and the officers seemed pretty stressed with all the people. I was shocked to hear that US citizens arriving in their own country are routinely asked questions about their activities and have to sign a customs declaration form.

Security is good at some airports and not at others. Gatwick's South Terminal is awesome.

The amount of complaints I hear about US security control ("The TSA") is incredible, probably because of their widespread use of x-ray body scanners, which the EU has banned until further tests have been completed. Although my regular departure point of Manchester Airport here has them at all checkpoints (granted an exception by the EU) and unlike the US (where there is an opt out) you have to be scanned if you set off the metal detector or are randomly selected. This became controversial when a doctor and a radiographer refused to be scanned and were denied boarding with no refund!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sadly, the wreckage has now been found with no sign of any survivors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18015534

Sadly, it's not the first time that a manufacturer's demonstration flight has crashed.

Last edited:
It looks very much like a CFIT incident (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) I wonder if they were trying to get through that pass between the mountains (in an attempt the show off!)

Seems a strong possibility given its a demo flight. Seems the pilots were russian and unfamiliar with the area. RIP to all on board.

SwindonPkwy

WestCoast said:
It's not just Heathrow or the UK. I waited 2 hours at immigration control at New York JFK after a flurry of arrivals and the officers seemed pretty stressed with all the people. I was shocked to hear that US citizens arriving in their own country are routinely asked questions about their activities and have to sign a customs declaration form.

My least favourite international airport is JFK. And my least favourite terminal at JFK is the Delta terminal. Sorry NY Yankee if you are reading this.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There have been a few new route announcements today.

Virgin Atlantic have announced a fourth daily flight between Heathrow and JFK, starting from October 28th. Flight numbers will be VS025/26 and will utilise their new Airbus A330s. Information here.

IAG have also announced plans in their 1st Quater results to commence flying between Heathrow and Leeds-Bradford Airport, as well as Rotterdam and Zagreb - utilising former BD slots at LHR.

WestCoast

Established Member
Leeds Bradford to Heathrow is particularly interesting, it must be the first new domestic route for BA from Heathrow in a very long time! It was last operated by bmi actually.....

Mainly for connections I guess, as KLM have been doing well taking passengers from a number of regional airports to Amsterdam for worldwide connections.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Leeds Bradford to Heathrow is particularly interesting, it must be the first new domestic route for BA from Heathrow in a very long time! It was last operated by bmi actually.....

Mainly for connections I guess, as KLM have been doing well taking passengers from a number of regional airports to Amsterdam for worldwide connections.

I seem to remember that Flybe attempted Leeds Bradford to Gatwick a couple of years ago. I'm not sure whether that had already started when BMI withdrew in March 2009.

Definitely good news for Leeds Bradford. Once a launch date is announced I might look into trying the service out, if I can afford it.

Ascot

Established Member
I see BA are introducing a City to Isle of Man flight using a wet-leased aircraft from Eastern. Now if only BA would expand on regional again and buy the rest of Flybe so these Avios are useful around Birmingham. :lol:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From the BA Source;

British Airways Cityflyer today announced that it would commence service on the London City - Isle of Man route from 28th May 2012.

Initial timings with E170 equipment freed by the cancellation of the London City - Copenhagen route are:

BA3282 London City 1200 – Isle of Man 1310 x567
BA3285 Isle of Man 1350 – London City 1500 x567
BA3282 London City 1315 – Isle of Man 1425 5
BA3285 Isle of Man 1500 – London City 1610 5

From 25th June services will be operated by a leased Eastern Airways Saab 2000 to the following schedule:

BA3281 Isle of Man 0725 – London City 0845 x7
BA3282 London City 0915 – Isle of Man 1035 x7
BA3285 Isle of Man 1300 – London City 1415 x6
BA3286 London City 1450 – Isle of Man 1605 x6
BA3287 Isle of Man 1740 – London City 1900 x6
BA3288 London City 1930 – Isle of Man 2050 x6

Doesn't look like a bad route, and I'm sure it will be useful for connections from the IoM to Europe. Will also be interesting to see the Saab 2000 at LCY.

WestCoast

Established Member
Now if only BA would expand on regional again and buy the rest of Flybe so these Avios are useful around Birmingham. :lol:

You can book Flybe flights with Avios, although you're liable for all the taxes and surcharges as you probably know. Flybe joining the Reward Flight Saver is pretty unlikely, as they seem to have severed ties with BA/IAG. Full codesharing to Paris with Air France (skyteam), joint venture with Finnair (one world) and operating wet leases for Brussels Airlines (Star Alliance) are all part of Flybe's activities now.

Ascot

Established Member
You can book Flybe flights with Avios, although you're liable for all the taxes and surcharges as you probably know. Flybe joining the Reward Flight Saver is pretty unlikely, as they seem to have severed ties with BA/IAG. Full codesharing to Paris with Air France (skyteam), joint venture with Finnair (one world) and operating wet leases for Brussels Airlines (Star Alliance) are all part of Flybe's activities now.

I was on about the good old days of BACON, it was a tad more expensive but the connections with oneworld were a joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starrymarkb

Established Member
Realy? Interesting, do you know why its been pushed back?

Major issues with the fire suppression systems (Germany is especially strict following a major fire at Düsseldorf airport that killed 11 people).

The Mayor a few weeks ago was asked if the the airport was going to open on time (June 3rd) and said "Of course it will, because I said so!"

Air Berlin are extremely annoyed because they were going to be using the new airport as a interchange hub (something that isn't possible at the existing Tegal Airport)

Another problem is that Tegal only has a permit to operate until the end of 2012, and there may be problems extending it.

WestCoast

Established Member
Air Berlin are extremely annoyed because they were going to be using the new airport as a interchange hub (something that isn't possible at the existing Tegal Airport)

Air Berlin only planned a slight increase in flights and should be able to accommodate the schedules and connections at their existing Tegel hub. It's Lufthansa who will be affected the most since they planned a brand new hub at Brandenburg, but the latest is that all flights will be operated from Tegel (including new routes to Birmingham and Manchester).

Last edited:

Heinz57

Major issues with the fire suppression systems (Germany is especially strict following a major fire at Düsseldorf airport that killed 11 people).

The Mayor a few weeks ago was asked if the the airport was going to open on time (June 3rd) and said "Of course it will, because I said so!"

Another problem is that Tegal only has a permit to operate until the end of 2012, and there may be problems extending it.

Its quite embaressing isn't it?

The delay, especialy with something as important as fire suppression.

I imagine the airport is just about finished now too? So for a year the airport is going to be sitting finished, but empty. Losing money by the hour as they repair the problems.

Nym

Established Member
Whats this, delays and problems with a Civils projects that isn't in the UK? I thought that didn't happen according to the press ;)

starrymarkb

Established Member

Heinz57

Thanks for the link.

It looks pretty good, shame its going to be sat like that, unused, for a whole year.

On the second image, whats that thing that looks like a giant clove of garlic? Are they having another problem with vampires?

WestCoast

Established Member

That's typical of Berlin, I can understand why people say the place is still on "Eastern Time" if you catch my drift.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

...and speaking of airport delays, the Mail has an interesting article today;

Don't panic! Now ministers hire filing clerks to guard borders... after doing just three months' training in three days

-Temporary staff will be responsible for spotting dubious passengers, passports and visas
-Civil servants will be able to claim £250 a day in bonuses and expenses
-The scheme is designed to cope with huge influx during the Olympics

Hundreds of clerical staff are being drafted in to solve the crisis at airport immigration desks and will be expected to spot fake passports and suspicious passengers after just three days’ training.
Low-level filing clerks and receptionists are among 700 usually desk-bound civil servants recruited for the temporary work.
They will be able to claim up to £250 a day in bonuses and expenses on top of their salaries as they cope with the massive influx of visitors expected for the Olympics.
The move comes just months after the Home Office laid off about 1,000 passport control workers as part of a programme of cutbacks.
The temporary staff will be responsible for spotting dubious passengers, passports and visas after only the most rudimentary classroom instruction.
In contrast, UK Border Agency staff receive up to 15 weeks of training before they man the front line.
Documents obtained by The Mail on Sunday reveal that some staff from the Home Office’s human resources department in Whitehall – whose normal duties involve handling job applications and employee grievances – have already volunteered.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rders-London-2012-Olypmics.html#ixzz1vPQE45O3

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

It looks pretty good, shame its going to be sat like that, unused, for a whole year.

On the second image, whats that thing that looks like a giant clove of garlic? Are they having another problem with vampires?

Art Installation apparently... :roll:

I'm going through Schonefeld next week so will let you know if I see anything more when there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.