• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
Here is a link to some photos from an open day a few weeks ago...
http://www.deutsches-architektur-forum.de/forum/showpost.php?p=336923&postcount=1018

Doesn't look too bad. Berlin pretty much invented the modern airport with Templehof (somewhere I want to have a look at one day) and this seems to carry on the tradition fairly well. One can hope that the Heathrow refit takes some inspiration from the finishing touches.

The sign on the 13th picture down might cause some hillarity to immaturely-minded British travellers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
There's been another airline failure with Skyways/City Airline, a Scandinavian airline which worked closely with SAS. They had numerous routes from a hub in Gothenburg, including to Birmingham and Manchester and they recently fought off competition on the latter route from easyJet.

Follows the bankruptcy of Danish regional airline Cimber Sterling.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Also from Finland... Finnair's Embraers will now be operated by Flybe in Finnair colours

Flybe announces contract flying deal with Finnair
Flybe, Europe's largest regional airline, today announces that Flybe Nordic, its joint venture with Finnair, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Finnair to fly 12 Embraer E190 regional jets on behalf of Finnair under a contract flying arrangement.

Under the terms of the MoU, the long term E190 contract flying operations will commence on 28 October 2012. The aircraft will fly for Finnair on a number of European short haul routes, taking advantage of Flybe Nordic's competitive cost base.

With this further agreement the number of aircraft flown by Flybe Nordic will reach 28, double the number flown when the business commenced operations in August 2011, of which 20 will be flying under contract for Finnair.

Mike Rutter, Managing Director of Flybe Europe, commented:

"Flybe took the decision in 2011 to expand its successful regional airline business model into the Nordic and Baltic regions with the objective of becoming the largest and most successful regional airline in those areas.

"In the ten months since its foundation, Flybe Nordic has expanded its operations from Finland to Denmark, Estonia, Norway and Sweden - in the latter country establishing a growing presence at Stockholm's city airport Bromma.

"We have been flying eight aircraft on a contract basis for Finnair since August 2011 and we are delighted that the quality and efficiency of our operations have persuaded Finnair to add another 12 aircraft to our partnership."

Mika Vehviläinen, Finnair CEO, commented:

"This move is a logical extension of our co-operation with Flybe. The MoU covers approximately one third of Finnair's European flights. Flybe offers us a cost efficient platform for operating this traffic and enables us to continue to offer the wide network and frequencies to both our regional customers as well as our customers flying between Europe and Finnair's Asian destinations.

"We believe that, from the customer point view, the change will be virtually unnoticed as they will maintain the benefits of our extensive network in Europe and opportunity to exploit our fast Asian routes. We look forward to this expansion of our co-operation with Flybe, which has proven its capabilities to run regional traffic efficiently."

Jim French, Chairman and CEO of Flybe Group plc, concluded:

"Today's announcement marks another major step in the successful development of the Flybe Nordic business. This extension of our existing contract flying operations for Finnair is a key part of Flybe Nordic's strategy, adding substantial scale whilst balancing Flybe Group's overall risk.

"With this deal, 25% of the fleet under Flybe Group's management will be deployed under contract flying arrangements. We believe there are many more similar opportunities to develop this side of the business."

WestCoast

Established Member
Airbus is to offer the option of "more accommodating" seating on its popular A320 model...

Airbus offers planes with wider seats for obese

Airbus is offering US airlines buying its A320 passenger jet extra-wide seats for obese passengers, leading to fatter profits, Airbus's aircraft interiors director says.

Airbus wants to make the most of the fact that its medium-range airliner is wider-bodied than the 737 from US rival Boeing.

The company offers two 50-centimetre seats either side of the A320's single aisle instead of three 45cm seats either side.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"These seats are not meant just for overweight passengers," aircraft interiors director Zuzana Hrnkova told journalists on Thursday.

"Mothers with children may be ready to pay a little more in order to be able to keep their babies in their lap, and large football players may be interested," she said.

The company said that by charging extra for the wide seats, airlines could make $3 million in extra profits over a 15-year period.

"Airlines asked us how they could create value with this wider cabin. We came up with this idea," Hrnkova said.

A third of the US population is obese and obesity is on the rise in much of the world, including Europe and the Gulf.

Hrnkova said that so far only US carriers had expressed an interest in the wide-seat configuration.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/tr...s-for-obese-20120525-1z8t8.html#ixzz1vy7ZkNIy

Ascot

Established Member
Good news! Since the revamp of Flybe the cans of Stella have been replaced with Stella 4%! Don't fear it will overflow on the last drop when you pour into the Flybe glass, these bad boys fill right to the brim.

WestCoast

Established Member
It's not been a good week for African aviation. Two fatal accidents in two days.

Lagos air crash: All aboard feared dead, officials say

A passenger plane with about 150 people on board has crashed into buildings in a densely populated district of Nigeria's main city of Lagos.
Nigeria's Civil Aviation Authority said there were no survivors on board the Dana Air plane. The cause of the crash is not yet known.
Thousands of onlookers gathered at the crash site as rescue services searched the rubble for survivors.
President Goodluck Jonathan has declared three days of mourning.
The plane crashed in Iju neighbourhood, just north of the airport. It is not yet clear how many people may have died on the ground.
TV pictures showed chaotic scenes as crowds swarming the crash site, some helping pass along hoses to douse the smoking embers of the plane.
Smoke billows
The commercial aircraft was flying from the Nigerian capital, Abuja, to Lagos when it crashed and burst into flames.
There were chaotic scenes as onlookers and emergency services rushed to the crash site.
At the crash site, reporters saw plane wreckage including a detached wing scattered around and the body of the plane lodged into a building.
The wreckage was on fire and black smoke billowed.
Several charred corpses could be seen in the rubble.
"We heard a huge explosion, and at first we thought it was a gas canister," Timothy Akinyela, 50, a local newspaper reporter who was watching a football match with friends in a bar near the crash site told Reuters.
"Then there were some more explosions afterwards and everyone ran out. It was terrifying. There was confusion and shouting," he said.
The plane did not to appear to have nose-dived into the building but to have landed on its belly, careering into a furniture shop and a print works, reports said.
Casualties on the ground may have been minimised because it was Sunday and the commercial buildings were likely to have been empty.
An investigation is under way, but in difficult night-time conditions, says the BBC's East Africa correspondent Will Ross.
Officials told AFP the cockpit recorder had been found and given to police.
Technical problem
In a statement, President Jonathan declared three days of mourning and said he had ordered the "fullest possible" investigation into the crash.
The crash had "sadly plunged the nation into further sorrow on a day when Nigerians were already in grief over the loss of many other innocent lives in the church bombing in Bauchi state", the statement reportedly said.
The weather at the time of the crash was overcast - but there were none of the storms that regularly strike the city.
On 11 May a similar Dana Air plane - possibly the same one - developed a technical problem and was forced to make an emergency landing in Lagos, our correspondent adds.
Nigeria, like many African countries, has a poor air safety record, though some efforts have been made to improve it since a spate of airline disasters in 2005.
Dana Air's website says it operates Boeing MD-83 planes to cities around Nigeria out of Murtala Muhammed Airport.
The airport is a major hub for West Africa and saw 2.3 million passengers pass through it in 2009, according to the most recent statistics reportedly provided by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria.

From www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18316130?print=true

WestCoast

Established Member
For me it's still not a patch on the classy Britannia Airways livery, which I'd like to have seen on a 787! The TUI scheme (across all the airlines that have used it) has always screamed package holiday airline to me.

For some reason, I also liked Hapag-Lloyd Express's (now TUIfly) New York taxi scheme - it looks low-cost and it went very well with their "fly for the price of a taxi" marketing. I just thought it was a lot more imaginative than easyJet and Ryanair..

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
For me it's still not a patch on the classy Britannia Airways livery, which I'd like to have seen on a 787! The TUI scheme (across all the airlines that have used it) has always screamed package holiday airline to me.

I always thought the Brittania scheme was quite classy for a holiday airline.

I liked the final First Choice livery too, quite unusual IMO. I'm not sure how many aircraft still carry this scheme, and presumably this new look will only hasten its demise!

LE Greys

Established Member
Personally, I've always been a fan of Classic BOAC, which incorporated swirls and got away with it by blending them with a longitudinal stripe and the anti-glare panel. The old Britannia is a nice livery as well. I think the secret is longitudinal stripes, just like NSE or Intercity, on what is ultimately a longitudinal structure.

flymo

Established Member
I've been looking at coming back to he UK again in November this year and was interested in Emirates as I flew with them last time and had a good experience. I have noticed however that from September 1 the Dubai - Newcastle sections will be operated by a Boeing 777-300ER which will be a bit of an upgrade from the A330-200 that currently ply the route.

I did mention after my last trip that the DXB-NCL sector was completely full and it wouldn't surprise me if a larger aircraft would eventually be used and it seems that this has also been noticed by EK.

At 2329m (7640 feet) landing should be no huge issue but takeoff at NCL is going to be 'Interesting' in a 773ER. Can't wait to see that thing at Newcastle airport.....:D:D

WestCoast

Established Member
They are the 773s that everyone on a certain forum complains about because they have 10 abreast seating rather than the more conventional 9 abreast layout. I cannot imagine that they are all that bad.

flymo

Established Member
Yep they look to be 3-4-3 across. I have been on one of their 772s and got a centre section aisle seat so only one person need disturb you. Even then there was nobody sitting beside me so it all worked out.

Still can't believe it can be fully loaded on departure from Newcastle though as the runway length at just over 7600ft has to be a factor. I'm sure (hope) they have done their sums.

It will most certainly be an interesting sight at NCL.:D

SwindonPkwy

Maybe one of the reasons they are using the 300ER is because with a (relatively) light fuel load, its power to weight ratio must be pretty impressive.

I flew on one a couple of years back from MNL to DXB. I too do not have an issue with the 3-4-3 seating, especially when I am the one paying the airfare.

starrymarkb

Established Member
They are the 773s that everyone on a certain forum complains about because they have 10 abreast seating rather than the more conventional 9 abreast layout. I cannot imagine that they are all that bad.

Similarly a lot of 787 Dreamliners are specced 9 abreast in economy. Qatar are also tightening the pitch on theirs!

LE Greys

Established Member
IIRC for the 75th Birthday of Newcastle Airport in 2010, Emirates brought in a 777-300ER on the Dubai service and BA put a 747-400 on the domestic shuttle from Heathrow.

Found these from an Airliners.net report covering the event at Newcastle Airport;

Emirates 773ER and KLM Retro Jet.
British Airways 744

Not the first unusual visitor from BA.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1956747

This happened as a bit of rivalry between different nationalised operations, Intercity had just relaunched the Tees-Tyne Pullman. IC responded by setting a British record for a passenger-carrying train at 144mph.

WestCoast

Established Member
Not much information in English, but a serious fire in a hanger at Prague Airport has destroyed an aircraft belonging to the Czech Republic's national carrier CSA. Thankfully there was no loss of life. but one injury has been reported.

CSA ATR42 damaged by fire at Ruzyne airport

A CSA ATR42 (OK-KFM) has been destroyed by a post-explosion fire in a hangar at the Prague Ruzyne airport tonight. The airport was closed for a short time while the fire has been dealt with. Nobody was seriously injured, as was confirmed by the CSA/Czech Airlines Technics spokeswoman. The extent of damage will be confirmed after investigation.

From; www.planes.cz/en/news/csa-atr42-damaged-by-fire-at-ruzyne-airport-7588/

WestCoast

Established Member
Here we go again I am thinking! There are points on both sides of the argument, but if capacity is increased we need to follow what has happened on the continent. There needs to be a high speed link to the regions directly from Heathrow so that British Airways can put domestic passengers on trains. Lufthansa does this at Frankfurt, where it 'codeshares' on DB ICE services to Cologne and other places. It reallly has taken planes out of the sky (evidence: the Cologne/Bonn to Frankfurt route was cancelled). Another example is Air France cancelling Brussels - Paris CDG flights, opting to put passengers on Thalys services.

LE Greys

Established Member
Here we go again I am thinking! There are points on both sides of the argument, but if capacity is increased we need to follow what has happened on the continent. There needs to be a high speed link to the regions directly from Heathrow so that British Airways can put domestic passengers on trains. Lufthansa does this at Frankfurt, where it 'codeshares' on DB ICE services to Cologne and other places. It reallly has taken planes out of the sky (evidence: the Cologne/Bonn to Frankfurt route was cancelled). Another example is Air France cancelling Brussels - Paris CDG flights, opting to put passengers on Thalys services.

Or a law could be passed to 'nationalise' BAA's operations on Heathrow Express so that the airport branch could become part of the national ticketing system. You book your flight tickets, then attach your train tickets to the same booking. Return from Berney Arms to Buenos Aries anyone?

SwindonPkwy

Heinz57 said:
Looks like there might be a U-turn on the horizon with the Heathrow 3rd Runway argument

The government really has backed itself into a corner on this one. I fully support its proposals for high speed rail in order to deter passengers from using domestic flights. However, dismissing Heathrow's third runway seems to have been more about keeping Boris in power than looking after the national interest.

I just don't buy the noise argument because the airport has been there for many decades: anybody moving to West London does so in the knowledge that aircraft make noise.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The government really has backed itself into a corner on this one. I fully support its proposals for high speed rail in order to deter passengers from using domestic flights. However, dismissing Heathrow's third runway seems to have been more about keeping Boris in power than looking after the national interest.

I just don't buy the noise argument because the airport has been there for many decades: anybody moving to West London does so in the knowledge that aircraft make noise.

And generally complaints about noise don't come from Hounslow, Hayes or the areas immediately around Heathrow as most residents work at the airport or in a job that depends on the airport. The most Voracious complaints come from further out (Richmond, Fulham, Chelsea) where the aircraft overfly the upmarket areas of west London

WestCoast

Established Member
The citizens of Munich today vote on whether to back the proposed third runway at the airport or not.

Results will be published after 18.00 local time (17:00 GMT).

I thought it was worth a mention considering the Heathrow 3rd runway debate.

radamfi

Established Member
I am booked on a BA flight from Glasgow to London City. I am going to use the BA Android App to check in. Do I need to present any ID? For example, card used for payment, passport, driving licence.

LE Greys

Established Member
I am booked on a BA flight from Glasgow to London City. I am going to use the BA Android App to check in. Do I need to present any ID? For example, card used for payment, passport, driving licence.

Photo ID, I should think, but not necessarily a passport. They usually accept my student card with a domestic flight.

SwindonPkwy

WestCoast said:
The citizens of Munich today vote on whether to back the proposed third runway at the airport or not.

Results will be published after 18.00 local time (17:00 GMT).

I thought it was worth a mention considering the Heathrow 3rd runway debate.

I would be very sceptical holding any kind of referendum like this in the UK. The turnout is likely to be very low and it is so much easier for the 'No' camp to mobilise support.

Status
Not open for further replies.